473,562 Members | 3,108 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

MySQL5 & PHP5

Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?

Thanks
Jul 17 '05 #1
12 3606
You need to look at the 'configure command' in phpinfo() and use it to
recompile php.
You have to install the mysql development header files and recompile Php
with the --with-mysql configure option.

At the moment your version of PHP is compiled with support for mysql3.23
Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?

Thanks

Jul 17 '05 #2
Peter wrote:
You need to look at the 'configure command' in phpinfo() and use it to
recompile php.
You have to install the mysql development header files and recompile Php
with the --with-mysql configure option.

At the moment your version of PHP is compiled with support for mysql3.23
Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as
follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?

Thanks


Is there a reason why they do not compile them with the latest release?
Even for beta release?

I got the binary from PHP central repository, is there any other
reliable place I can download binaries for mswin32?

PS: I'm running on windows.

Thanks
Jul 17 '05 #3
>>> Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?

Thanks


Is there a reason why they do not compile them with the latest release?
Even for beta release?


For the widely available binaries they compile against the lowest common
denominator: MySQL 3.x.
It is up to deployers to recompile it for a specific version. Also MySQL
5.x is not even close to stable, and MySQL 4.1 stable has only recently
appeared.
Tristan
Jul 17 '05 #4
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:01:55 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com>
wrote:
Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?


You're apparently using the MySQL client library bundled with the Windows zip
distribution, rather than one from your MySQL installation.

--
Andy Hassall / <an**@andyh.co. uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk >
<http://www.andyhsoftwa re.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool
Jul 17 '05 #5
Andy Hassall wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:01:55 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com>
wrote:

Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?

You're apparently using the MySQL client library bundled with the Windows zip
distribution, rather than one from your MySQL installation.

Hi Andy, isn't that the only Windows binaries distribution available
from MySQL? Or perhaps there are other Windows Binaries distribution
that I'm not aware of?

At any case, I presume that the later version will be much better
organize/design for OR(Object-Relational) or OO(Object Oriented)
programming, plus it will take advantage of additional features in 4.1
as well as 5.x. Thanks
Jul 17 '05 #6
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:39:46 -0500
Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com> wrote:

:Hi Andy, isn't that the only Windows binaries distribution available
:from MySQL? Or perhaps there are other Windows Binaries distribution
:that I'm not aware of?
:
:At any case, I presume that the later version will be much better
:organize/design for OR(Object-Relational) or OO(Object Oriented)
:programming, plus it will take advantage of additional features in 4.1
:as well as 5.x. Thanks

As with all things Windows, it's a bit obscure. For PHP5, I get the
same listing as you do (3.23.57) with php_info(), but if I use mysql
from a "command prompt," then

mysql> \s

tells me "Server Version 4.1.7" so I dunno. This is the mysqld that
Apache interacts with through PHP.

--
Tony Reed
<tr***@altern.o rg>
Jul 17 '05 #7
On 02 Dec 2004 16:02:54 -0500, Tony Reed <tr***@altern.o rg> wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:39:46 -0500
Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com> wrote:

:Hi Andy, isn't that the only Windows binaries distribution available
:from MySQL? Or perhaps there are other Windows Binaries distribution
:that I'm not aware of?
:
:At any case, I presume that the later version will be much better
:organize/design for OR(Object-Relational) or OO(Object Oriented)
:programming , plus it will take advantage of additional features in 4.1
:as well as 5.x. Thanks

As with all things Windows, it's a bit obscure. For PHP5, I get the
same listing as you do (3.23.57) with php_info(), but if I use mysql
from a "command prompt," then

mysql> \s

tells me "Server Version 4.1.7" so I dunno. This is the mysqld that
Apache interacts with through PHP.


That's because that's the server version, which has nothing to do with the
client version. Further, the fact that you're running 'mysql' means that's come
from a MySQL install; PHP only comes with a client DLL, not the mysql CLI
program.

--
Andy Hassall / <an**@andyh.co. uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk >
<http://www.andyhsoftwa re.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool
Jul 17 '05 #8
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:39:46 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com>
wrote:
Andy Hassall wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:01:55 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com>
wrote:

Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?
You're apparently using the MySQL client library bundled with the Windows zip
distribution, rather than one from your MySQL installation.


Hi Andy, isn't that the only Windows binaries distribution available
from MySQL?


You're using the MySQL library shipped with PHP, so it's not "from MySQL".

If you set your PATH appropriately and/or got rid of the libmySQL.dll in the
PHP directories, so instead it picks up libmysql.dll from your MySQL
directories, then you'd (probably) get a different version showing up.
Or perhaps there are other Windows Binaries distribution
that I'm not aware of?
There's a Windows binary distribution of PHP, which includes an old client
library.

There's a Windows binary distribution of MySQL, which includes a client
library of whichever version you downloaded.
At any case, I presume that the later version will be much better
organize/design for OR(Object-Relational) or OO(Object Oriented)
programming, plus it will take advantage of additional features in 4.1
as well as 5.x. Thanks


No, changing your MySQL client will have little or no effect on the PHP mysql
extension. However, PHP5 has the mysqli extension for use with 4.1 or later.

As to whether it takes advantage of any new features - check the docs. mysqli
supposedly supports prepared statements, at least.

Not sure why you'd want to use MySQL 5 at this stage though, since it's only
beta. Stick to 4.1 at the latest, unless you're being very experimental.

--
Andy Hassall / <an**@andyh.co. uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk >
<http://www.andyhsoftwa re.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool
Jul 17 '05 #9
Andy Hassall wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:39:46 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com>
wrote:

Andy Hassall wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:01:55 -0500, Sarah Tanembaum <sa************ @yahoo.com>
wrote:

Though I installed MySQL5 and PHP5, how come my phpinfo() shows as follow:

MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 3.23.57 <<<<<<<<<<<<< <<

Instead of saying 3.23.57, shouldn't it show 5.xx.xx? Or, did I do
something wrong?

You're apparently using the MySQL client library bundled with the Windows zip
distribution , rather than one from your MySQL installation.


Hi Andy, isn't that the only Windows binaries distribution available

from MySQL?


You're using the MySQL library shipped with PHP, so it's not "from MySQL".

If you set your PATH appropriately and/or got rid of the libmySQL.dll in the
PHP directories, so instead it picks up libmysql.dll from your MySQL
directories, then you'd (probably) get a different version showing up.

Or perhaps there are other Windows Binaries distribution
that I'm not aware of?

There's a Windows binary distribution of PHP, which includes an old client
library.

There's a Windows binary distribution of MySQL, which includes a client
library of whichever version you downloaded.

At any case, I presume that the later version will be much better
organize/design for OR(Object-Relational) or OO(Object Oriented)
programming , plus it will take advantage of additional features in 4.1
as well as 5.x. Thanks

No, changing your MySQL client will have little or no effect on the PHP mysql
extension. However, PHP5 has the mysqli extension for use with 4.1 or later.

As to whether it takes advantage of any new features - check the docs. mysqli
supposedly supports prepared statements, at least.

Not sure why you'd want to use MySQL 5 at this stage though, since it's only
beta. Stick to 4.1 at the latest, unless you're being very experimental.


Hi Andy, I did replace c:\php5\libmysq l.dll with
c:\mysql5\lib\o pt\libmysql.dll , restart the apache2, and check again.
Unfortunately, nothing change, it still say 3.23.57.

Perhaps I need newer c:\php5\ext\php _mysql.dll for mysql5. Where can I
get the binaries for php5/mysql5 dlls?

How do you use mysqli anyway? Is it not compatible with the mysql version?

Thanks
Jul 17 '05 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

0
1279
by: Centurion | last post by:
Hi All, Anyone know where I can get some more detailed info about the status of MySQL5 stored procedures support in PHP5? I can run the procedures without significant drama, but I don't get a record set back :-/ I hear this is a limitation on the MySQL "driiver" in PHP5. So, anyone know where I can read more? James
1
1446
by: Tony | last post by:
Hi there, could you please advice on a good quality PHP5 and MySQL5 web hosting service (shared)? Thanks. Tony.
4
28114
by: cyrano | last post by:
I am having issues maintaining an oracle connection in my apache/php web application. I am able to succesfully connect to an Oracle 9i dbase using oci() and retrieve expected results for the first couple of attempts - then it dies with a msg in the apache error_log that looks like: PHP Warning: ocilogon() : OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed....
5
2149
by: Aziz | last post by:
Hi, I've recently contacted technical service of a web hosting company and asked them wheter or not they're gonna upgrade to PHP5 and MySQL5. Here's a quote from their response which confused me a little: "As php5 and mysql5 are still beta versions we don't install beta versions on production servers due to secure reasons, we install only...
1
1333
by: soft_devjava | last post by:
my environment: =========================== -php ver 5.2.0 -mysql 5 -windows xp -apache 2 -all of these are on the same machine my code: ==========================
1
2221
by: arunsuriindia | last post by:
i have installed php5 manually and mysql5 automatically i want to have connectivity between the two. i am newnie i broke my head fro 3 days and no relief. tell me step by step what to do. i want to learn php in and out with intrcacies tell me how to go about it
2
1395
by: Harmony504 | last post by:
I recently upgraded my application from PHP4.4.2 to PHP5.2.5. I also use MySQL5. I am using the mysqli module because supposedly it is faster. I have tested the regular mysql module and found it to be the same as mysqli. I have also tested this application on Apache and IIS. Since I upgraded to PHP5.2.5 the application runs slower. It...
4
1453
by: opswordfish | last post by:
Hi I've visited a lot of forums regarding getting MySQL5 working with PHP5 in IIS and it seems that with MYSQL5 you need to use mysqli in PHP and that you need to uncomment the extension in php.ini However I have tried both of these and I still get the error: Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysqli_connect() I was wondering if...
1
4145
by: Gilles Ganault | last post by:
Hello I'd like to play with MemcacheD and see how it improves read access to data, but I'm a bit lost at how to get from a working Apache2 + PHP5 + MySQL5 server on FreeBSD 6.3. I've never used PECL and PEAR before, and they seem required to install MemcacheD. I just ran "make config ; make ; make install" to build the php5 and
0
7652
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, we’ll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Router’s main...
0
7576
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
7867
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
1
7625
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
6219
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
1
5476
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
0
3621
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in...
1
1187
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
0
901
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.