By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,610 Members | 1,989 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,610 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Re: Installing Oracle 11.5.8 on Mandrake

P: n/a
In article <3E**************@netscape.net>,
Frank <fv********@netscape.netwrote:
Dave Williams wrote:
Frank,

Don't you like a challenge then ? Besides, Mandrake is now the most popular
flavour of Linux.

I won't go into that discussion

Also, installation instructions were followed and kernel settings changed
:-)

OK - I was just shring some knowledge that might help you

As a further FYI, I figured out a way to work around this issue.

Care to share?

<snip!>
I am stumped. I am a very very new Oracle user. A colleague put the
Oracle 10g client on my workstation (Windows XP) this afternoon. I was
able to start the client and access a remote database that was created
as a test bed for me. I was able to create a simple table with four
columns. Now, I have a text file, delimited by semicolons, that I want
to import into the table that I created via SQL*Plus, but figuring out
how to do that seems to be a real challenge.

I have been googling for a solution to this problem, but all I find is
something about an SQL Loader, which I cannot find on my PC. I do not
have discs to load it, all I have is what was loaded on my PC.

Isn't there a way to use the insert statement from within SQL*Plus that
does something along the lines of

insert into table x from file y delimited by ';'
(field1, field2, field3, field4);

?

I don't care about insert performance. This table was built without any
constraints or indexes. Its just two varchar2(20) columns and two number
columns, so its about as simple as one can get.

Do I really need a separate utility to do this task, or is there some
way to do it entirely within SQL*Plus via insert or some other command?
Also, how do I use the help feature in SQL*Plus? If I type "help insert"
it says invalid topic and if I type "help" it says I can get help on a
topic? How exactly does this help feature work? Its not very helpful!
Jun 27 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:32:35 -0400, Shawn Hirn <sr**@comcast.net>
wrote:
>In article <3E**************@netscape.net>,
Frank <fv********@netscape.netwrote:
>Dave Williams wrote:
Frank,

Don't you like a challenge then ? Besides, Mandrake is now the most popular
flavour of Linux.

I won't go into that discussion
>
Also, installation instructions were followed and kernel settings changed
:-)

OK - I was just shring some knowledge that might help you
>
As a further FYI, I figured out a way to work around this issue.

Care to share?

<snip!>

I am stumped. I am a very very new Oracle user. A colleague put the
Oracle 10g client on my workstation (Windows XP) this afternoon. I was
able to start the client and access a remote database that was created
as a test bed for me. I was able to create a simple table with four
columns. Now, I have a text file, delimited by semicolons, that I want
to import into the table that I created via SQL*Plus, but figuring out
how to do that seems to be a real challenge.

I have been googling for a solution to this problem, but all I find is
something about an SQL Loader, which I cannot find on my PC. I do not
have discs to load it, all I have is what was loaded on my PC.
In previous editions of Oracle sqlldr.exe (or sqlloader) was only
included with the *administrator* client, not with the normal client.
However, sql*loader is going to work only if the input is *on the
server*

>Isn't there a way to use the insert statement from within SQL*Plus that
does something along the lines of

insert into table x from file y delimited by ';'
(field1, field2, field3, field4);

?
You could set up an external table. But then again, the input file
again needs to be on the server.
If you don't want that, Oracle has a free tool (on
http://otn.oracle.com) called 'Oracle Application Express' that will
allow you to upload csv files via your browser.
>I don't care about insert performance. This table was built without any
constraints or indexes. Its just two varchar2(20) columns and two number
columns, so its about as simple as one can get.

Do I really need a separate utility to do this task, or is there some
way to do it entirely within SQL*Plus via insert or some other command?
Also, how do I use the help feature in SQL*Plus? If I type "help insert"
it says invalid topic and if I type "help" it says I can get help on a
topic? How exactly does this help feature work? Its not very helpful!
There is help in sql*plus on sql*plus itself. There is *no help* on
SQL as that would be *huge*.
There is a SQL reference manual (and many other volumes of
documentation) up on http://tahiti.oracle.com
Info on Sql*loader and external tables is in the Oracle Server
Utilities Manual.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
Jun 27 '08 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.