By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,197 Members | 974 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,197 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

TAF without RAC or OPS

P: n/a
Is it possible to run use TAF for SELECT failover with just two
separate oracle databases which are not part of OPS or RAC cluster?

My application is read-only so I do not need clustering or shared
disk. I just want the select statements to be re-executed on the
stand-by oracle instance when the first one fails. The databases are
on different machines with different disks but they contain the same
data.

Is this possible? How would I configure TAF SELECT failover without
RAC or OPS?

Thanks,

- Jim
Jul 19 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
Jim Dwyer wrote:
Is it possible to run use TAF for SELECT failover with just two
separate oracle databases which are not part of OPS or RAC cluster?

My application is read-only so I do not need clustering or shared
disk. I just want the select statements to be re-executed on the
stand-by oracle instance when the first one fails. The databases are
on different machines with different disks but they contain the same
data.

Is this possible? How would I configure TAF SELECT failover without
RAC or OPS?

Thanks,

- Jim


My understanding is that you can not.

However my understanding is that you anger just about everyone when you
post the exact same message to multiple usenet groups. Please don't do
that again. Lets try to ignore the postings to c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc and
just respond in c.d.o.server where the message belongs.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/e...ad/oad_crs.asp
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/e...oa/aoa_crs.asp
da******@x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Jul 19 '05 #2

P: n/a
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004, da******@x.washington.edu wrote:
However my understanding is that you anger just about everyone
when you post the exact same message to multiple usenet
groups. Please don't do that again. Lets try to ignore the
postings to c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc and just respond in
c.d.o.server where the message belongs.


I'd like to interject. Daniel, crossposting is fine, as long as
the multiple groups are relevant. It isn't clear that, for this
thread, all the groups are relevant but the OP did not "post the
exact same message to multiple usenet groups". He crossposted.
Posting the exact same message to multiple usenet groups is
spamming. That is, no matter what the intentions, frowned upon.
Crossposting is a way to include more than one group in the
conversation. This can be quite powerful sometimes, but in this
particular case, the OP seemingly wasn't trying to be judicious.

--
Galen Boyer
Jul 19 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi

TAF is not a RAC feature at all...Please go through the following note
on nmetalink.Note:231996.1.its explains how to setup TAF sort of quick
setup guide.

regards
Hrishy
Jul 19 '05 #4

P: n/a
On 2 Jan 2004 20:31:07 -0600, Galen Boyer <ga********@hotpop.com>
wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004, da******@x.washington.edu wrote:
However my understanding is that you anger just about everyone
when you post the exact same message to multiple usenet
groups. Please don't do that again. Lets try to ignore the
postings to c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc and just respond in
c.d.o.server where the message belongs.


I'd like to interject. Daniel, crossposting is fine, as long as
the multiple groups are relevant. It isn't clear that, for this
thread, all the groups are relevant but the OP did not "post the
exact same message to multiple usenet groups". He crossposted.
Posting the exact same message to multiple usenet groups is
spamming. That is, no matter what the intentions, frowned upon.
Crossposting is a way to include more than one group in the
conversation. This can be quite powerful sometimes, but in this
particular case, the OP seemingly wasn't trying to be judicious.

I don't agree with you. You will have to distinguish between cross-
and multiposting. Crossposted messages will have the same messageid,
multiposted messages don't. Crossposted messages will be detected by
many newsreaders, multiposted won't. Hence in the latter case, it is
possible not to see someone already posted a valid responses.
In BOTH cases in cdo cross- and multiposting
- won't get you a bigger audience
- won't get you any better responses.

Please stop to promote cross and multiposting.
--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
Jul 19 '05 #5

P: n/a
Galen Boyer wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004, da******@x.washington.edu wrote:

However my understanding is that you anger just about everyone
when you post the exact same message to multiple usenet
groups. Please don't do that again. Lets try to ignore the
postings to c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc and just respond in
c.d.o.server where the message belongs.

I'd like to interject. Daniel, crossposting is fine, as long as
the multiple groups are relevant. It isn't clear that, for this
thread, all the groups are relevant but the OP did not "post the
exact same message to multiple usenet groups". He crossposted.
Posting the exact same message to multiple usenet groups is
spamming. That is, no matter what the intentions, frowned upon.
Crossposting is a way to include more than one group in the
conversation. This can be quite powerful sometimes, but in this
particular case, the OP seemingly wasn't trying to be judicious.


Sorry Galen but you are wrong. Just look at the Newsgroups in the header
of your newsreader. What the OP did is banned by both usenet etiquette
and the FAQ.

So lets stop doing it and let the c.d.o. and c.d.o.misc threads die.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/e...ad/oad_crs.asp
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/e...oa/aoa_crs.asp
da******@x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Jul 19 '05 #6

P: n/a
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004, da******@x.washington.edu wrote:
Sorry Galen but you are wrong. Just look at the Newsgroups in
the header of your newsreader. What the OP did is banned by
both usenet etiquette and the FAQ.


When is cross posting banned? Spamming is banned. If I have a
SQLServer/Oracle question both a SQLServer and Oracle newsgroup
are valid cross-posts. What the OP did wasn't a judicious use of
cross-posting but is not banned. Its just something you get all
up in arms about.

--
Galen Boyer
Jul 19 '05 #7

P: n/a
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004, go********@sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:
I don't agree with you. You will have to distinguish between
cross- and multiposting.
What the OP did was crossposting. Multi-posting is the
definition of spam.
Crossposted messages will have the same messageid, multiposted
messages don't. Crossposted messages will be detected by many
newsreaders, multiposted won't.
Exactly.
Hence in the latter case, it is possible not to see someone
already posted a valid responses. In BOTH cases in cdo cross-
and multiposting - won't get you a bigger audience
Huh?
- won't get you any better responses.
Completely disagree. If I have a SQLServer/Oracle question, the
both newsgroups are a valid crosspost.
Please stop to promote cross and multiposting.


I don't promote it nor do I do it.

--
Galen Boyer
Jul 19 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.