By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,703 Members | 1,116 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,703 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Right password -> ORA-12154: TNS:Could not resolve service name

P: n/a
Hi

Right password -> ORA-12154: TNS:Could not resolve service name

wrong password => ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Tested on a Windows XP client connecting to Oracle on an AIX server.
Using toad and sqlplusw

Everything working fin connecting to other 8.1.7 Oracle servers on windows
serveres.

If i delete tnsnames.ora i always receives ORA-12154 :-)

If you get ora 01017 then everything should be in perfectorder, except the
password... Right ?
Jul 19 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a

Originally posted by John
Hi Right password -> ORA-12154: TNS:Could not resolve service name wrong password => ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied Tested on a Windows XP client connecting to Oracle on an AIX server. Using toad and sqlplusw Everything working fin connecting to other 8.1.7 Oracle servers
on windows serveres. If i delete tnsnames.ora i always receives ORA-12154 :-) If you get ora 01017 then everything should be in perfectorder,
except the password... Right ?


1)

Correct user, correct password, correct service_name

Connected to:

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.3.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options

JServer Release 9.2.0.3.0 - Production

2)

Correct user, correct password, wrong service_name

ERROR:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

3)

Wrong user AND/OR wrong password, wrong service_name

ERROR:

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

4)

Wrong user AND/OR wrong password, correct service_name

ERROR:

ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Run netca and check your Net8/9 settings or connect url.

Regards

/Rauf Sarwar
--
Posted via http://dbforums.com
Jul 19 '05 #2

P: n/a

HI....

If I try to connect to a Oracle DB I get this:

ORA-12154: TNS:Could not resolve service name

But I know, that my username and Passwort are right.

thats my connSring!!!!

ADOCnn.Open "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;" & _

"Data Source=db_location;" & _

"User Id=*****;" & _

"Password=*****"

Can you tell me, whether i forget someting????

mfg AndreH
--
Posted via http://dbforums.com
Jul 19 '05 #3

P: n/a

Originally posted by AndreH
HI.... If I try to connect to a Oracle DB I get this: ORA-12154: TNS:Could not resolve service name But I know, that my username and Passwort are right. thats my connSring!!!! ADOCnn.Open "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;" & _ "Data Source=db_location;" & _ "User Id=*****;" & _ "Password=*****" Can you tell me, whether i forget someting???? mfg AndreH


Refer to 2) in my previous post.

Test your connection from sqlplus. If it works then check your connect
string/Connection object on ADO side, if not then run netca and check
your Net8/9 settings or connect url.

Regards

/Rauf
--
Posted via http://dbforums.com
Jul 19 '05 #4

P: n/a
ADOCnn.Open "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;" & _ "Data Source=db_location;" & _ "User Id=*****;" & _ "Password=*****"


In 9i it's service_name, not SID.

Go to %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin/sqlnet.ora

and comment NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN

Also look at your tnsnames.ora for your service.
--
Posted via http://dbforums.com
Jul 19 '05 #5

P: n/a

hi...

I've understand, that I have to add an Codeline like

ADOCnn.Open "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;" & _

"Data Source=db_location;" & _

"service_name"=ServerString from tnsnames.ora;"& _

"User Id=*****;" & _

"Password=*****"

Did I understand you correctly?

MFG AndreH
--
Posted via http://dbforums.com
Jul 19 '05 #6

P: n/a

Originally posted by AndreH
hi... I've understand, that I have to add an Codeline like ADOCnn.Open "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;" & _ "Data Source=db_location;" & _ "service_name"=ServerString from tnsnames.ora;"& _ "User Id=*****;" & _ "Password=*****" Did I understand you correctly? MFG AndreH


I meant that you "can return" to SID's by commenting domain part of
Service_name.

So, service_name in this case is equal to SID.
--
Posted via http://dbforums.com
Jul 19 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.