By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
445,929 Members | 1,830 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 445,929 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Breakpoints not working in VS 2003 using VB.

P: n/a
I've seen a ton of posts about similar problems, but none of the solutions
were effective. I've been maintaining this VB code for 3 years, and this is
the first time this has happened. It seems that the first one or two
breakpoints encountered trigger, but after that, none of my other breakpoints
work. Also, when the breakpoints stop working, the debugger seems to lose
track of what module the executing code is in, because when the fatal error
occurs, the debugger also complains that there is "no source code for the
current location." I know the exact line it's failing on! This is making
development absolutely impossible.
Feb 16 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
2 Replies


P: n/a

"Lost In The Woods" <Lo************@discussions.microsoft.comwrote in
message news:0E**********************************@microsof t.com...
I've seen a ton of posts about similar problems, but none of the solutions
were effective. I've been maintaining this VB code for 3 years, and this
is
the first time this has happened. It seems that the first one or two
breakpoints encountered trigger, but after that, none of my other
breakpoints
work. Also, when the breakpoints stop working, the debugger seems to lose
track of what module the executing code is in, because when the fatal
error
occurs, the debugger also complains that there is "no source code for the
current location." I know the exact line it's failing on! This is making
development absolutely impossible.
I contracted in a company that had VS2003 on their brand new machines
running XP Pro. The had replaced the old machines with new ones, because of
debugging problems similar to your problems with the old machines that were
not that old. The new machines had more memory, but it didn't correct the
problem. Well, it came to be that the page file size that the O/S was using
(XP) was not set correctly. It was a page file size that was set to low,
which was causing VS2003's debugger to start having problems when debugging
code. The solution was to set the page file size to be automatically
controlled by the O/S. After the page file size was corrected, they never
had another problem with the VS2003 debugger in debugging code.

Feb 16 '08 #2

P: n/a
Thanks for your reply. I changed the paging settings and unfortunately the
debugger continues to ignore my breakpoints. However, I have discovered
something interesting. I'm using MySQL and it would appear that opening the
database is causing the failure. If I comment out the code, all the
breakpoints that were failing before start working. I'm sure it's not a code
path issue. There appears to be some kind of insidious memory related
problem happening here. I can debug the particular piece of code I'm working
on without having the database open. God help me when that's not the case...

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:
>
"Lost In The Woods" <Lo************@discussions.microsoft.comwrote in
message news:0E**********************************@microsof t.com...
I've seen a ton of posts about similar problems, but none of the solutions
were effective. I've been maintaining this VB code for 3 years, and this
is
the first time this has happened. It seems that the first one or two
breakpoints encountered trigger, but after that, none of my other
breakpoints
work. Also, when the breakpoints stop working, the debugger seems to lose
track of what module the executing code is in, because when the fatal
error
occurs, the debugger also complains that there is "no source code for the
current location." I know the exact line it's failing on! This is making
development absolutely impossible.

I contracted in a company that had VS2003 on their brand new machines
running XP Pro. The had replaced the old machines with new ones, because of
debugging problems similar to your problems with the old machines that were
not that old. The new machines had more memory, but it didn't correct the
problem. Well, it came to be that the page file size that the O/S was using
(XP) was not set correctly. It was a page file size that was set to low,
which was causing VS2003's debugger to start having problems when debugging
code. The solution was to set the page file size to be automatically
controlled by the O/S. After the page file size was corrected, they never
had another problem with the VS2003 debugger in debugging code.

Feb 17 '08 #3

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.