By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,369 Members | 1,115 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,369 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

VS2005 will not browse on vista

P: n/a
I install Visual Studio 2005 Pro on Vista. I open and migrate a 2003 web
project to 2005. I attempt to browse an aspx file from the Solution Exploer.
It displays a blank html page.

I create a master page with 3 content placeholders. I create a WebForm that
uses the master and then browse it to have a look. I get an empty html page.

I change from the IIS to the internal server. No change. Only displays
blank page.

What gives?
--
PeterW
May 30 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
Hello PeterW,

Did u install SP1 and VS 2005 Vista Update?

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we
miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c) Michelangelo

PI install Visual Studio 2005 Pro on Vista. I open and migrate a 2003
Pweb
Pproject to 2005. I attempt to browse an aspx file from the Solution
PExploer.
PIt displays a blank html page.
PI create a master page with 3 content placeholders. I create a
PWebForm that uses the master and then browse it to have a look. I
Pget an empty html page.
P>
PI change from the IIS to the internal server. No change. Only
Pdisplays blank page.
P>
PWhat gives?
P>
May 30 '07 #2

P: n/a
SP1 is installed. When I run Check for Updates it shows that I have yet to
install KB936824 and KB929735
--
PeterW
"PeterW" wrote:
I install Visual Studio 2005 Pro on Vista. I open and migrate a 2003 web
project to 2005. I attempt to browse an aspx file from the Solution Exploer.
It displays a blank html page.

I create a master page with 3 content placeholders. I create a WebForm that
uses the master and then browse it to have a look. I get an empty html page.

I change from the IIS to the internal server. No change. Only displays
blank page.

What gives?
--
PeterW
May 30 '07 #3

P: n/a
On closer inspection, SP1 for vista is installed and KB932232 SP1 for VS2003
Pro -ENU are both installed.

On then firing up VS IDE, it complains about missing Framework files for J#.
Disregard.

Then try to browse WebForm based on Master from IDE. Shows blank html page
instead of page with lots of objects. The Master originally used 3 user
controls created in VS2003. Thought user controls might be the issue.
Removed, browse, not display. Status bar shows that it is going to the
webserver for the correct file but always ends up finally displaying a blank
page.

WebForm is told to use Master for ContentPlaceHolder items. Displays empty
page.

Attempted to browse aspx files from VS2003 web project that do not use
master, same problem. Will not display.

Try a plain html page with a single word in it, browse, page displays
correctly.

What does this mean about active pages?
--
PeterW
"Michael Nemtsev" wrote:
Hello PeterW,

Did u install SP1 and VS 2005 Vista Update?

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we
miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c) Michelangelo

PI install Visual Studio 2005 Pro on Vista. I open and migrate a 2003
Pweb
Pproject to 2005. I attempt to browse an aspx file from the Solution
PExploer.
PIt displays a blank html page.
PI create a master page with 3 content placeholders. I create a
PWebForm that uses the master and then browse it to have a look. I
Pget an empty html page.
P>
PI change from the IIS to the internal server. No change. Only
Pdisplays blank page.
P>
PWhat gives?
P>
May 30 '07 #4

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

From your description, you got some problems when try running asp.net
pages(converted from vs 2003 project to VS 2005 one) on Vista box, correct?

Since I haven't found any existing or know issue on this, I think we can
first test to confirm whether it is a machine or environment specific one.
I suggest you test the following things and check the behavior:

1. directly deploy the converted web application in IIS virtual directory
and run it (without vs 2005) to see whether it work

2. You can also try start the vs 2005 testserver from commandline to host
an ASP.NET 2.0 application. You can use this approach to test whether the
testserver is ok:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...21/431138.aspx

3. Regardless of the vs 2003 converted project, you can try a completely
new created ASP.NET 2.0/VS 2005 web site project to see whether it works.

If you have any other finding, please also feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

==================================================

Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.

==================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

May 31 '07 #5

P: n/a
Hi Steven

I confirm that what I have is a VS2003 web project converted to VS2005 on
Vista.

On looking at various posts, I see a vein suggesting that it could be
firewalls that are at the root of the problem. With that in mind I turned
off the firewall completely, detached from the web and used my notebook in
standalone mode.

All I want to be able to do is use localhost or the internal web server to
display a web page so that I can confirm that what I have done so far is OK
before progressing to the next bit of development. I could do this in VS2003
by using Browse or Browse with from the Solution Explorer or from IIS by
selecting the aspx file to browse and browsing it. What I see the browser
doing is attempting to browse but at the end abandoning with the message
"Navigation to the webpage was canceled". It has what appears to me to be a
permissions or access issue. As far as I can see there is nothing external
to the machine that needs to be reached, so access may be out of the picture.
That leaves permissions.

With that in mind, I opened IE and reset security to default for all
catagories. I now get the error message "Debugging is not supported under
current trust levels". With the thought that I may have touched and upset
settings in VS and/or IE and/or IIS that VS depends on, I am re-installing
VS2005 to see if anything at all is different.

I am groping in the dark a bit really and wasting too much valuable time to
get back to the point where I was on XP SP1.

What intrigues me is that a simple HTML page works, while an aspx page does
not. The aspx page is based on a master page with 4 ContentPlaceHolders set
in a table structure. Two of the ContentPlaceHolders use images and TreeView
menus, with one containing just an image and the final one being a
placeholder for page content. I have replaced 3 VS2003 user controls with
html in the ContentPlaceHolders and the designer showns this correctly. This
is then used by a WebForm which for three of the ContentPlaceHolders is told
to use the Master leaving the last for the page body content to be filled in
the aspx page. At this point I want to view what the page looks like, so try
to browse. No items in the TreeView menu are linked so nothing is active.
This is just about look and feel. It is a wholly new page although some html
has been cut and pasted from the former VS2003 project. All errors and
warnings raised by the iDE for the converted project have been resolved.

I am unable to browse successfully either with IE or the internal browser.
Yet this aspx page is just a glorified html page with some asp.net components.

Before I moved the web project from VS2003 to VS2005, I has started a revamp
of the assemblies used by the middle tiers and a large expansion of the data
model in SQL Server. The amount of change is quite comprehensive and for
the most part has been unit tested. It is no longer worth the effort to try
to get this working with the VS2003 user interface, so I have migrated the
middle tier objects to VS2005. The master page was to put in place a common
menu structure for the site, leaving just the content to be placed in the
ContentPlaceHolder. That however is a side issue as none of these objects
are instantiated at the point where I am attempting to browse.

I will post again when I have re-installed the devenv.

cheers
--
PeterW
"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Peter,

From your description, you got some problems when try running asp.net
pages(converted from vs 2003 project to VS 2005 one) on Vista box, correct?

Since I haven't found any existing or know issue on this, I think we can
first test to confirm whether it is a machine or environment specific one.
I suggest you test the following things and check the behavior:

1. directly deploy the converted web application in IIS virtual directory
and run it (without vs 2005) to see whether it work

2. You can also try start the vs 2005 testserver from commandline to host
an ASP.NET 2.0 application. You can use this approach to test whether the
testserver is ok:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...21/431138.aspx

3. Regardless of the vs 2003 converted project, you can try a completely
new created ASP.NET 2.0/VS 2005 web site project to see whether it works.

If you have any other finding, please also feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

==================================================

Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
ications.

Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent issues
where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each follow
up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx.

==================================================

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

May 31 '07 #6

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Have you got any progress on this, does reinstall the devenv make any
difference?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jun 4 '07 #7

P: n/a
Hi Steven

After re-install of VS2005 and install SP1 for VS2005 (KB926601), SP1 for
Vista (kb932232) and SP2 for SQL Server 2005 (KB921896), I go back and try to
browse any of the aspx files in the converted projects. The result is the
same, it does not browse. It shows an empty html page.

I try a clean project, create a master page, then create a simple WebForm
containing simple objects like asp:Label etc and browse. This works.

I am at a loss to figure out why existing aspx files do not work within the
old but migrated project but do in a fresh project.

I have just started replacing the menu system (user controls) used in the
migrated VS2003 projects by using Master pages and ContentPlaceHolders etc
and then copying the Content part of the old site to the asp:Content objects
in WebForms. The menus are now TreeView based. I hope the process will be
trouble free. Time will tell.

It would also be nice if I could discover why browsing did not work for
either the internal browser or IE. I saw some posts that suggested that
firewalls could be an issue, but that has not made any difference at all in
this case.

cheers

--
PeterW
"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Peter,

Have you got any progress on this, does reinstall the devenv make any
difference?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jun 4 '07 #8

P: n/a
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your followup.

For the firewall or proxy issue you mentioned, I think that should not be
the case if the problem also occur for local test server in Visual Studio
2005.

Anyway, please feel free to post here if you have any further finding or
need any help.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


Jun 5 '07 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.