By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,977 Members | 1,615 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,977 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

VB.net Build Error Task "The dependency xxx.yyy.sss could not be f

P: n/a
Our solution contains multiple projects, such as:
1 Web project
3 library projects that contain Serviced Components
7 library projects that do not contain Servicded Components

Long ago, a previous project member created a file chose to name
"AssemblyCommonInfo.vb" in the SOlution root, and placed a link to this in
every project (except the Web project). In AssemblyCommonInfo, he placed a
version tag and Ket File tag such as:
<Assembly: AssemblyVersion("1.0.9.0")>
<Assembly: AssemblyKeyFile("..\..\..\PerformanceCentral.snk") >

This has the effect of making all of the library projects be Strong Named
and at version 1.0.9.0. Note though that none of our assemblies are
installed in the GAC.

So far so good. But here's the problem...

If I change the Version number to be 1.0.10.0, then I get Build Error Tasks
created such as:
The dependency 'ITAGroup.PC.DATA.BusinessEntity' could not be found.
BUT:
A) it only picks 3 of the library projects to complain about,
B) of the 3, one has Serviced Components, the other 2 do not.
AND:
- The Tasks do not have any info in the "File" column, so I do not know
exactly where the dependencies are missing from. And,
- These messages also appear in the "output" tab in the section pertaining
to the WSb project, so I am pretty sure it's the WebProject that is missing
these dependencies.

NOTES:
1. I have checked that All of the assembly .dll's really are being
recompiled with the new version, in all of the folders expected; in the
project\bin and project\obj\ConfigName, and in the
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebProject\bin. CopyLocal=true in all of the project's
properties.
2. Maybe the use of a linked AssmblyCommonInfo.vb is not standard, to factor
out it as the culprit, I have specifically changed the Version in one of the
3 affected assembliy's AssemblyInfo.vb file, and that causes that one
assembly to come up "The dependency ThatAssembly could not be found".
3. In the Web project's references, I do not see anything tightening the
reference to look for only version 1.0.9.0 on the 3 (or any) of the
references.
Feb 5 '06 #1
Share this question for a faster answer!
Share on Google+

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Browse more .NET Framework Questions on Bytes