By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,333 Members | 1,850 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,333 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Outlook integration in vb.net Web development

P: n/a
I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....

I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I
send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the sender's
Outlook Sent Items.

How do I do that?

Thanks.

Dec 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
14 Replies


P: n/a
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2**********************************@microsof t.com...
I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....

I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I
send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
sender's
Outlook Sent Items.

How do I do that?

Thanks.

Dec 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Thanks.

I'm using System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient. If that isn't what I should be using,
what should I use?

Do you have an example of the Javascript needed to get it to show up in
Outlook?

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2**********************************@microsof t.com...
I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....

I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when I
send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
sender's
Outlook Sent Items.

How do I do that?

Thanks.


Dec 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
Gerhard,

It is in VB.net code
Button1.Attributes("onClick") =
"window.location='mailto:n...@non.com?subject= Cor demo&body=I hope this
helps?';"
It is C#

Almost the same with [] for the collection of attributes and a ; behind the
last aphostrophe.

I hope this helps a little bit?
Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:12**********************************@microsof t.com...
Thanks.

I'm using System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient. If that isn't what I should be
using,
what should I use?

Do you have an example of the Javascript needed to get it to show up in
Outlook?

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a
little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2**********************************@microsof t.com...
> I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....
>
> I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when
> I
> send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
> sender's
> Outlook Sent Items.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks.
>


Dec 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Thanks for the javascript.

So using System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient there is no way to get this into an
Outlook mail sent box (the user mailbox is on the same network as the web
server)?

Thanks.

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

It is in VB.net code
Button1.Attributes("onClick") =
"window.location='mailto:n...@non.com?subject= Cor demo&body=I hope this
helps?';"
It is C#

Almost the same with [] for the collection of attributes and a ; behind the
last aphostrophe.

I hope this helps a little bit?
Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:12**********************************@microsof t.com...
Thanks.

I'm using System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient. If that isn't what I should be
using,
what should I use?

Do you have an example of the Javascript needed to get it to show up in
Outlook?

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

That depends how you sent the email. If you use a kind of serverside smtp
than it will never show up. If you use the default mailclient with a
little
bit of javascript starting by registerscript than it goes automaticly.

I hope this helps,

Cor

"Gerhard" <ac***@community.nospam> schreef in bericht
news:C2**********************************@microsof t.com...
> I'm posting this again, as no answer to the first post....
>
> I would like to integrate Outlook into my vb.net web page, so that when
> I
> send an email (which I can successfully do now), it shows up in the
> sender's
> Outlook Sent Items.
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks.
>


Dec 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Hi

The Smtp Client runs the SMTP approach, but outlook's message which running
with Exchange will run MAPI approach.
So the System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient did not go in the MAPI side.

Also for your scenario, you may also try the outlook automation.

819398 How to automate Outlook and Word by using Visual C# .NET to create a
pre-populated e-mail message that can be edited
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;819398

182614 OL98: Programming Examples for Referencing Items and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;182614
Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 21 '05 #6

P: n/a
Thanks. Maybe I am having a blonde day, but I still don't see how set this
up in a web app (the examples deal with Windows apps). I don't find any
references that can be added to connect to Outlook.

I need to be able to interface with Outlook (on the same intranet as the web
server) from a vb.net web app.

Can you help?

Thanks.

Bob

""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi

The Smtp Client runs the SMTP approach, but outlook's message which running
with Exchange will run MAPI approach.
So the System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient did not go in the MAPI side.

Also for your scenario, you may also try the outlook automation.

819398 How to automate Outlook and Word by using Visual C# .NET to create a
pre-populated e-mail message that can be edited
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;819398

182614 OL98: Programming Examples for Referencing Items and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;182614
Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 21 '05 #7

P: n/a
Gerhard,

On Internet I dont believe Outlook interop will work, however now you write
Intranet than is this the webpage to look for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...h/default.aspx

I hope this helps a little bit?

Cor
Dec 21 '05 #8

P: n/a
Hi,

Thanks, but this is still talking about windows apps. I need to be able to
code it in a web application. It seems to me that since the code is running
on the same intranet as the exchange server, there should be some way to
integrate with it.

Sorry to keep bugging you....

Bob

"Cor Ligthert [MVP]" wrote:
Gerhard,

On Internet I dont believe Outlook interop will work, however now you write
Intranet than is this the webpage to look for.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...h/default.aspx

I hope this helps a little bit?

Cor

Dec 21 '05 #9

P: n/a
Hi Bob,

I am sorry if I have any misunderstanding.

Yes, you are right, we did not recommend automation Outlook in ASP.NET(web
application) directly, it is an unsupported approach.
But we commonly can do the outlook automation in the client side, e.g. in
the script of the web page.

Based on my understanding, your web application will send a mail via
certian user's account. If this is a defined user account, e.g. user A,
then the sent mail should be put into the user A's outlook sent items
folder, am I right? But if another user B access the asp.net page, and send
mail, then under whose account, the mail will be sent, and where the sent
items message will be put into, A or B?

So I think maybe we can put the send mail action at the client side. So
that if user A access web page and automation outlook at client side to
send mail, after doing so, a sent item will occurred in the sent item
folder. So did user B.

As I said before, when outlook is working with Exchange, it goes the MAPI
way which is different from the SMTP way when we use
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient. So if you send mail via SMTP server in your
ASP.NET web application server side (outlook can work with SMTP), the
outlook has no idea about that the mail has been sent.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 22 '05 #10

P: n/a
Gerhard,
Thanks, but this is still talking about windows apps. I need to be able
to
code it in a web application. It seems to me that since the code is
running
on the same intranet as the exchange server, there should be some way to
integrate with it.


No the page goes about using Windows forms controls (or none) on a
webapplication and the security problems you have to overcome with that (You
are reaching the clients disk).

Cor
Dec 22 '05 #11

P: n/a
Thanks for getting back to me.

Basically, there is only one account that will be sending from the server
side (the one that sends out password updates, and things like that), and my
client would like copies of the emails that are sent in the administrator's
sent mail box. Right now, I am sending the email using smtp. Is there a
way, using ODBC or something, that I could also put a copy into the
administrators Sent Items?

I appreciate your help.

""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Bob,

I am sorry if I have any misunderstanding.

Yes, you are right, we did not recommend automation Outlook in ASP.NET(web
application) directly, it is an unsupported approach.
But we commonly can do the outlook automation in the client side, e.g. in
the script of the web page.

Based on my understanding, your web application will send a mail via
certian user's account. If this is a defined user account, e.g. user A,
then the sent mail should be put into the user A's outlook sent items
folder, am I right? But if another user B access the asp.net page, and send
mail, then under whose account, the mail will be sent, and where the sent
items message will be put into, A or B?

So I think maybe we can put the send mail action at the client side. So
that if user A access web page and automation outlook at client side to
send mail, after doing so, a sent item will occurred in the sent item
folder. So did user B.

As I said before, when outlook is working with Exchange, it goes the MAPI
way which is different from the SMTP way when we use
System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient. So if you send mail via SMTP server in your
ASP.NET web application server side (outlook can work with SMTP), the
outlook has no idea about that the mail has been sent.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 22 '05 #12

P: n/a
Hi

Because the SMTP mail is different from the MAPI mail, I suggest you try
use WebDav to send email via Exchange server which will be integrated with
outlook.
313128 How to send an e-mail message by using WebDAV in Visual C# .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;313128

290407 How To Use COPY in WebDAV to Copy a Mail Item to Another Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;290407

290197 How To Use MOVE in WebDAV to Move a Mail Item to Another Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;290197

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 26 '05 #13

P: n/a
Thank you. This looks like it will do what I need.

""Peter Huang" [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi

Because the SMTP mail is different from the MAPI mail, I suggest you try
use WebDav to send email via Exchange server which will be integrated with
outlook.
313128 How to send an e-mail message by using WebDAV in Visual C# .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;313128

290407 How To Use COPY in WebDAV to Copy a Mail Item to Another Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;290407

290197 How To Use MOVE in WebDAV to Move a Mail Item to Another Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;290197

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 26 '05 #14

P: n/a
Hi,

Thanks for your quickly reply!
You are welcomed!

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Dec 27 '05 #15

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.