468,133 Members | 1,206 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,133 developers. It's quick & easy.

deployment of .net web service does not work

Can you give me some suggestions of why the xml web service is not working?

I have an xml web service that works in my visual studio. net 1.1
environment. I setup this project up for deployment doing the following steps:
1. add a web setup project called "testaddr".
2. in file system window, select Web Application folder.
3. in the left pane of the file system window, right-click web application,
point to add, and then click output project.
4. Select Primary output and content files and then click OK.
5. in solution explorer, right click Build on "tested".
6. I double click on testaddr.msi.
**I have also tried doubling clicking on SETUP.EXE**
7. The web service installs on my workstation fine and it runs great.
However on the production server when I key in the following information:
"http:/ip address of production server/testaddr/Validate.asmx"

This is what is displayed:
<%@ WebService Language="vb" Codebehind="VAddr.asmx.vb"
Class="VAddrWebService.ValidateAddr" %>

The following is what the members in the virtual directory under IIS look
like:
1. bin directory that contains:
address.dll
vddresswebservice.dll
2. at the same level there is also the following members:
web.config,
global.asax,
and ValidateAddr.asmx.

If you can not see anything wrong with the above then maybe it is the
following:

The server I am going to install on has never been used for production.
Maybe there are items that need to be installed on the server to run besides
iis, net 1.1 framework, and all the latest windows and windows 2000 server
updates.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your assistance!
Nov 23 '05 #1
1 3197
What seems to be happening is you aren't deploying to a VRoot that is fully
set up to work as a web service application. This is why you see the asmx
page rather than the service being launched. Since the .asmx extension
isn't associated with any ISAPI filter, etc, it is treated like a text file
(the default).

Try using File/Publish as the means to deploy your service to production.
While this isn't a shrink wrap approach, it will create a properly
configured vroot or site (as appropriate) and configure the IIS application
properly. For your MSI, you will need to make sure that the right IIS
administration and application settings on the vroot are accomplished (and
off the top of my head, i don't have the list of steps - perhaps others
have been here.)

I hope this helps

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation
--------------------
Thread-Topic: deployment of .net web service does not work
thread-index: AcTb8B45Z0OD3kS9SxumZ62K/r7W7w==
X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 66.37.251.192
From: =?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHkgRWxpemFiZXRo?=
<We************@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: deployment of .net web service does not work
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:03:01 -0800
Lines: 43
Message-ID: <F8**********************************@microsoft.co m>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="Utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
Importance: normal
Priority: normal
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.webservices
NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl 10.40.1.29
Path:
cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA0
3.phx.gbl
Xref: cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.webservices:7919
X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.webservices

Can you give me some suggestions of why the xml web service is not
working?

I have an xml web service that works in my visual studio. net 1.1
environment. I setup this project up for deployment doing the following
steps:
1. add a web setup project called "testaddr".
2. in file system window, select Web Application folder.
3. in the left pane of the file system window, right-click web application,
point to add, and then click output project.
4. Select Primary output and content files and then click OK.
5. in solution explorer, right click Build on "tested".
6. I double click on testaddr.msi.
**I have also tried doubling clicking on SETUP.EXE**
7. The web service installs on my workstation fine and it runs great.
However on the production server when I key in the following information:
"http:/ip address of production server/testaddr/Validate.asmx"

This is what is displayed:
<%@ WebService Language="vb" Codebehind="VAddr.asmx.vb"
Class="VAddrWebService.ValidateAddr" %>

The following is what the members in the virtual directory under IIS look
like:
1. bin directory that contains:
address.dll
vddresswebservice.dll
2. at the same level there is also the following members:
web.config,
global.asax,
and ValidateAddr.asmx.

If you can not see anything wrong with the above then maybe it is the
following:

The server I am going to install on has never been used for production.
Maybe there are items that need to be installed on the server to run
besides
iis, net 1.1 framework, and all the latest windows and windows 2000 server
updates.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for your assistance!

Nov 23 '05 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

1 post views Thread by Wendy Elizabeth | last post: by
reply views Thread by Scanner2001 | last post: by
1 post views Thread by SKarnis | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by andrewbb | last post: by
1 post views Thread by kirk.quinbar | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.