By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
448,952 Members | 1,091 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 448,952 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

MessageBox font not displaying

P: n/a
I have a strange situation. A simple call to MessageBox.Show("XXX", "YYY")
does not display the message in the messagebox with a visible font. Based on
the content of the messagebox, the box sizes properly so I know there is a
message in there. I also found a keyboard shortcut where <ctrl>+<insert>
will copy the contents of the messagebox to the clipboard in plain text. I
see my messagebox text in the clipboard contents but not in the messagebox.

The best background that I can give in this situation is that is that I
believe I was working on printing documents when this stopped working. I
think this might somehow be interrelated because I found that if I display a
print preview dialog, then after that I can see the text in the messagebox
within the scope of that debugging session.

This is as bizarre as it sounds.

To recap:
1. create a new project, add a button with a
MessageBox.Show("XXX","YYY"). MessageBox text does not show.

2. create a new project, add a PrintPreviewDialog, a print document, and
a button. Assign the print document to the print preview dialog. on the
button: MessageBox.Show("XXX", "YYY"); , printPreviewDialog1.Show();
MessageBox.Show("XXX", "YYY");. The message displays in the second message
box.

I have tried the first test in both VB.NET 2003 and C#.NET 2003 with a
number of different message box styles.
Nov 22 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
11 Replies


P: n/a
Hi,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
your description, I understand that the text in the messagebox is not
showing properly when you're working on a print document. If there is any
misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your repro steps. I have tried it on my computer. However, it
doesn't reproduce. Could you try it again on another machine? I think this
might be a machine specific issue.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #2

P: n/a
Hi Kevin,
I applogize for any confusion. The text in the messagebox is not displaying
until I go through a print preview cycle. Prior to bringing up the print
preview dialog, I see no text in the body of the messagebox. I only
mentioned the print preview dialog because it made the problem more curious
because I could see the messagebox after bringing up the print preview dialog.

I understand that this is most likely something machine specific. Any
advice on how to find the root of the issue would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich
"Kevin Yu [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
your description, I understand that the text in the messagebox is not
showing properly when you're working on a print document. If there is any
misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your repro steps. I have tried it on my computer. However, it
doesn't reproduce. Could you try it again on another machine? I think this
might be a machine specific issue.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi Rich,

You can try to branch to a small and simple project to see if it is still
happening. If it still occurs, when you copy that project to another
machine with the same environment, will it happen again? If a repro can be
made, could you package it and send to me? Remove 'online' from the nospam
alias is my real email.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #4

P: n/a
I did try this project on another machine and it worked fine.

As another experiment, I built my messagebox project to a release exe and it
still had the same issue as an executable as it did in the debugger.

Also, I did one other test. I remembered that I still had visual studio
2000 on my machine. I tried the same simple messagebox project in c# with
VS2000 and I had the same behavior.

I know this is machine specific. Is it possible to remove the framework and
reinstall it? Would this make sense?

Thanks
Rich

"Kevin Yu [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Rich,

You can try to branch to a small and simple project to see if it is still
happening. If it still occurs, when you copy that project to another
machine with the same environment, will it happen again? If a repro can be
made, could you package it and send to me? Remove 'online' from the nospam
alias is my real email.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #5

P: n/a
Hi Rich,

I'm not quite sure if re-installing .NET framework will fix the problem.
But I think you can try to install .NET framework 1.1 sp1 on you machine if
you haven't applied it yet. It can be installed from either Windows Update
site or to be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...54f-088e-40b2-
bbdb-a83353618b38&DisplayLang=en

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #6

P: n/a
I tried reinstalling the service pack. It did not make a difference. I
uninstalled and reinstalled the framework and it did not make a difference
either.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
Rich
Nov 22 '05 #7

P: n/a
Hi Rich,

Since I cannot repro it on my computer and installing the sp also doesn't
help. I think it's hard for me to continue troubleshooting in the
newsgroup.

Looking at the nature of this issue, it would require intensive
troubleshooting which would be done quickly and effectively with direct
assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional through Microsoft Product
Support Services. You can contact Microsoft Product Support directly to
discuss additional support options you may have available, by contacting us
at 1-(800)936-5800 or by choosing one of the options listed at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=sz;en-us;top.

HTH.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #8

P: n/a
Guys,
any progress on this issue? I am having a very similar problem with
..NET1.1 sp1. Apps build with VB6 display messagesboxes just fine.
Andrei

v-****@online.microsoft.com (Kevin Yu [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<ma*************@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl>...
Hi,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
your description, I understand that the text in the messagebox is not
showing properly when you're working on a print document. If there is any
misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your repro steps. I have tried it on my computer. However, it
doesn't reproduce. Could you try it again on another machine? I think this
might be a machine specific issue.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #9

P: n/a
Hi Andrei,

I have given up trying to figure this one out. My approach is going to be
to reinstall the os at the beginning of the year.

Rich

"Andrei" wrote:
Guys,
any progress on this issue? I am having a very similar problem with
..NET1.1 sp1. Apps build with VB6 display messagesboxes just fine.
Andrei

v-****@online.microsoft.com (Kevin Yu [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<ma*************@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl>...
Hi,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
your description, I understand that the text in the messagebox is not
showing properly when you're working on a print document. If there is any
misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your repro steps. I have tried it on my computer. However, it
doesn't reproduce. Could you try it again on another machine? I think this
might be a machine specific issue.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #10

P: n/a
Andrei, I hope you are still monitoring this thread. :)

The problem on my machine was because of an incompatibility with Visual
Studio 2000/2003 and VirusScan Enterprise 8.0. When the "Buffer Overflow
Protection" in VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 is disabled, the text displays
properly.

Hope it helps!
Rich

"Andrei" wrote:
Guys,
any progress on this issue? I am having a very similar problem with
..NET1.1 sp1. Apps build with VB6 display messagesboxes just fine.
Andrei

v-****@online.microsoft.com (Kevin Yu [MSFT]) wrote in message news:<ma*************@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl>...
Hi,

First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
your description, I understand that the text in the messagebox is not
showing properly when you're working on a print document. If there is any
misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your repro steps. I have tried it on my computer. However, it
doesn't reproduce. Could you try it again on another machine? I think this
might be a machine specific issue.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #11

P: n/a
Finally a resolution!!
The problem on my machine was because of an incompatibility with Visual
Studio 2000/2003 and VirusScan Enterprise 8.0. When the "Buffer Overflow
Protection" in VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 is disabled, the text displays
properly.

FYI - Also, the same issue was noticed with text in list boxes.

"Kevin Yu [MSFT]" wrote:
Hi Rich,

Since I cannot repro it on my computer and installing the sp also doesn't
help. I think it's hard for me to continue troubleshooting in the
newsgroup.

Looking at the nature of this issue, it would require intensive
troubleshooting which would be done quickly and effectively with direct
assistance from a Microsoft Support Professional through Microsoft Product
Support Services. You can contact Microsoft Product Support directly to
discuss additional support options you may have available, by contacting us
at 1-(800)936-5800 or by choosing one of the options listed at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...d=sz;en-us;top.

HTH.

Kevin Yu
=======
"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

Nov 22 '05 #12

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.