By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
448,838 Members | 1,623 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 448,838 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

ReadXML giving different results on different PCs

P: n/a
RM
I am using DataSet's .ReadXml() method to parse an XML file that has an
inline schema and Im getting "different" results on various machines
using the same myDataSet.ReadXml("myExample.xml").

Out of 5 test machines, my results are as follows.

1 Windows 2000 Server and
2 Windows XP Professional PC's
that parses the XML, builds 2 tables with appropriate format columns
(string, int, etc) and populates the tables with rows of data as expected.

1 Windows 2000 Server and
1 Windows XP Professional PC
that parses the XML, builds 2 tables with appropriate format colums
(string, int, etc) but does NOT populate the tables with any data.

I cannot seem to determine what the difference between the setups is
that's causing this. It's clearly not the OS. All machines have .NET 1.1
on them, on one of the non-working (no rows) machines I installed MDAC
2.8 and the latest MSXML parser, to no avail.

Attaching my XML for examination, it may not be very correct XML, Im not
sure, but I find it wierd either way that 5 machines build tables out of
it, but only 3 of the 5 actually populate the table with rows. Always
running the same EXE that calls the same ReadXml method on the same XML
file.

Thank you for your time :)


Nov 12 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


P: n/a
RM
I've fixed the problem to some extent, I found a solid schema validator
and it helped me isolated a couple of bugs in my XML, after fixing those
the XML loads fine in any of the 5 test machines.

I guess Im still bothered by "what is different" between the machines
where the attached XML would load into table rows on some, but not on
others. Im itching to know what is causing the difference between
machines when its clearly not the version of .NET or the OS.

RM wrote:
I am using DataSet's .ReadXml() method to parse an XML file that has an
inline schema and Im getting "different" results on various machines
using the same myDataSet.ReadXml("myExample.xml").

Out of 5 test machines, my results are as follows.

1 Windows 2000 Server and
2 Windows XP Professional PC's
that parses the XML, builds 2 tables with appropriate format columns
(string, int, etc) and populates the tables with rows of data as expected.

1 Windows 2000 Server and
1 Windows XP Professional PC
that parses the XML, builds 2 tables with appropriate format colums
(string, int, etc) but does NOT populate the tables with any data.

I cannot seem to determine what the difference between the setups is
that's causing this. It's clearly not the OS. All machines have .NET 1.1
on them, on one of the non-working (no rows) machines I installed MDAC
2.8 and the latest MSXML parser, to no avail.

Attaching my XML for examination, it may not be very correct XML, Im not
sure, but I find it wierd either way that 5 machines build tables out of
it, but only 3 of the 5 actually populate the table with rows. Always
running the same EXE that calls the same ReadXml method on the same XML
file.

Thank you for your time :)


------------------------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<root>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema' xmlns='xsdConfig' targetNamespace='xsdConfig'>
<xs:element name='Config'>
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name="ObServerConfig">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name='mailServerIp' type='xs:string' />
<xs:element name='mailFrom' type='xs:string' />
<xs:element name='timeOut' type='xs:integer' />
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="server">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence>
<xs:element name='url' type='xs:string' />
<xs:element name='email' type='xs:string' />
<xs:element name='enabled' type='xs:boolean' />
<xs:element name='notify'>
<xs:simpleType>
<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
<xs:pattern value="up|down|both" />
</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>
<a:Config xmlns:a='xsdConfig'>
<a:ObServerConfig>
<a:mailServerIp>127.0.0.1</a:mailServerIp>
<a:mailFrom>no@one.com</a:mailFrom>
<a:timeOut>5</a:timeOut>
</a:ObServerConfig>
<a:server>
<a:url>http://www.cnn.com</a:url>
<a:email>no@one.com</a:email>
<a:enabled>true</a:enabled>
<a:notify>down</a:notify>
</a:server>
<a:server>
<a:url>http://www.yahoo.com</a:url>
<a:email>no@one.com</a:email>
<a:enabled>false</a:enabled>
<a:notify>down</a:notify>
</a:server>
</a:Config>
</root>

Nov 12 '05 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.