471,349 Members | 1,309 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,349 software developers and data experts.

Passing an Object by Ref

I have a few objects that I've created, Contact, Address, AddressCollection
(inherits from CollectionBase), dtaContact, and dtaAddress. One of the
properties of the Contact object (Contact.Addresses) is a Type of
AddressCollection. When I want to add a new contact to my database I create a
new Address object for each address and a new AddressCollection object. I
then populate the Address objects and add them to the AddressCollection
(InnerList.Add(address)). Next I populate the Contact object properties
including the AddressCollection. Now I want to pass the Contact object by Ref
to the dtaContact.Insert() method so that I can use the output parameter of
my SP to populate the ContactID property and have that value reflected in my
contact object. This functionality works just fine. However within my
dtaContact.Insert() method I want to loop through the AddressCollection and
pass each Address object by Ref to the dtaAddress.Insert method. When I do
this I get the following error when I try to Rebuild...

error CS1605: Cannot pass 'contactAddress' as a ref or out argument because
it is read-only

Can anyone provide some insight as to why this may be happening?

Thanks,

Mike G.
Jul 21 '05 #1
6 2006
It appears that you have a property called: contactAddress that is marked
as ReadOnly.

"Mike Guerrieri" <Mike Gu*******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:46**********************************@microsof t.com...
I have a few objects that I've created, Contact, Address, AddressCollection
(inherits from CollectionBase), dtaContact, and dtaAddress. One of the
properties of the Contact object (Contact.Addresses) is a Type of
AddressCollection. When I want to add a new contact to my database I
create a
new Address object for each address and a new AddressCollection object. I
then populate the Address objects and add them to the AddressCollection
(InnerList.Add(address)). Next I populate the Contact object properties
including the AddressCollection. Now I want to pass the Contact object by
Ref
to the dtaContact.Insert() method so that I can use the output parameter
of
my SP to populate the ContactID property and have that value reflected in
my
contact object. This functionality works just fine. However within my
dtaContact.Insert() method I want to loop through the AddressCollection
and
pass each Address object by Ref to the dtaAddress.Insert method. When I do
this I get the following error when I try to Rebuild...

error CS1605: Cannot pass 'contactAddress' as a ref or out argument
because
it is read-only

Can anyone provide some insight as to why this may be happening?

Thanks,

Mike G.

Jul 21 '05 #2
Thanks for the fast reply Scott. The contactAddress is not marked ReadOnly,
here is the section where it is created...

dtaContactAddress contactAddressData = new dtaContactAddress();
foreach (ContactAddress contactAddress in contact.AddressCollection)
{
contactAddress.ContactId = contactID;
contactAddressData.Insert(ref contactAddress);
}

Could it be that objects in a collection are implicitly ReadOnly?

- Mike G.
"Scott M." wrote:
It appears that you have a property called: contactAddress that is marked
as ReadOnly.

"Mike Guerrieri" <Mike Gu*******@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:46**********************************@microsof t.com...
I have a few objects that I've created, Contact, Address, AddressCollection
(inherits from CollectionBase), dtaContact, and dtaAddress. One of the
properties of the Contact object (Contact.Addresses) is a Type of
AddressCollection. When I want to add a new contact to my database I
create a
new Address object for each address and a new AddressCollection object. I
then populate the Address objects and add them to the AddressCollection
(InnerList.Add(address)). Next I populate the Contact object properties
including the AddressCollection. Now I want to pass the Contact object by
Ref
to the dtaContact.Insert() method so that I can use the output parameter
of
my SP to populate the ContactID property and have that value reflected in
my
contact object. This functionality works just fine. However within my
dtaContact.Insert() method I want to loop through the AddressCollection
and
pass each Address object by Ref to the dtaAddress.Insert method. When I do
this I get the following error when I try to Rebuild...

error CS1605: Cannot pass 'contactAddress' as a ref or out argument
because
it is read-only

Can anyone provide some insight as to why this may be happening?

Thanks,

Mike G.


Jul 21 '05 #3
Mike Guerrieri <Mi***********@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply Scott. The contactAddress is not marked ReadOnly,
here is the section where it is created...

dtaContactAddress contactAddressData = new dtaContactAddress();
foreach (ContactAddress contactAddress in contact.AddressCollection)
{
contactAddress.ContactId = contactID;
contactAddressData.Insert(ref contactAddress);
}

Could it be that objects in a collection are implicitly ReadOnly?


Objects themselves aren't readonly. However, the *variable*
contactAddress is readonly - the variable used in a foreach is always
implicitly readonly.

It doesn't look to me like you need to pass contactAddress by reference
though - that would just allow Insert to change the value of
contactAddress, which itself is a reference.

I *suspect* you're a bit confused about reference types vs value types
and parameter passing.
See http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/csharp/parameters.html

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Jul 21 '05 #4
Thank you Jon, I didn't realize that the variable used in a foreach is always
implicitly readonly.

I don't believe that I'm confused by reference and value types. For each
Address object in my collection, when the data from an Address object is
inserted into the database an AddressID will be returned in an output
parameter. I want to populate the AddressID property of the Address object
with that ID.

Thank you very much for your help.

~ Mike G.
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Mike Guerrieri <Mi***********@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply Scott. The contactAddress is not marked ReadOnly,
here is the section where it is created...

dtaContactAddress contactAddressData = new dtaContactAddress();
foreach (ContactAddress contactAddress in contact.AddressCollection)
{
contactAddress.ContactId = contactID;
contactAddressData.Insert(ref contactAddress);
}

Could it be that objects in a collection are implicitly ReadOnly?


Objects themselves aren't readonly. However, the *variable*
contactAddress is readonly - the variable used in a foreach is always
implicitly readonly.

It doesn't look to me like you need to pass contactAddress by reference
though - that would just allow Insert to change the value of
contactAddress, which itself is a reference.

I *suspect* you're a bit confused about reference types vs value types
and parameter passing.
See http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/csharp/parameters.html

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Jul 21 '05 #5
This is not a problem. Even objects passed byval are updatable (you just
allows to update or not *this* pointer).

Patrice

--

"Mike Guerrieri" <Mi***********@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news:D0**********************************@microsof t.com...
Thank you Jon, I didn't realize that the variable used in a foreach is always implicitly readonly.

I don't believe that I'm confused by reference and value types. For each
Address object in my collection, when the data from an Address object is
inserted into the database an AddressID will be returned in an output
parameter. I want to populate the AddressID property of the Address object
with that ID.

Thank you very much for your help.

~ Mike G.
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:
Mike Guerrieri <Mi***********@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply Scott. The contactAddress is not marked ReadOnly, here is the section where it is created...

dtaContactAddress contactAddressData = new dtaContactAddress();
foreach (ContactAddress contactAddress in contact.AddressCollection)
{
contactAddress.ContactId = contactID;
contactAddressData.Insert(ref contactAddress);
}

Could it be that objects in a collection are implicitly ReadOnly?


Objects themselves aren't readonly. However, the *variable*
contactAddress is readonly - the variable used in a foreach is always
implicitly readonly.

It doesn't look to me like you need to pass contactAddress by reference
though - that would just allow Insert to change the value of
contactAddress, which itself is a reference.

I *suspect* you're a bit confused about reference types vs value types
and parameter passing.
See http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/csharp/parameters.html

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

Jul 21 '05 #6
Mike Guerrieri <Mi***********@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
Thank you Jon, I didn't realize that the variable used in a foreach is always
implicitly readonly.

I don't believe that I'm confused by reference and value types. For each
Address object in my collection, when the data from an Address object is
inserted into the database an AddressID will be returned in an output
parameter. I want to populate the AddressID property of the Address object
with that ID.


And you don't need to pass anything by reference in order to do that.
Pass the reference to an Address object (passing that reference by
value) and update it in your method.

Put it this way: passing a variable by reference when you then make no
use of the potentially changed value of the variable should always
raise alarm bells - there's no (semantic) point in passing the variable
by reference in that case.

See the article I referred to in my last post.

--
Jon Skeet - <sk***@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
If replying to the group, please do not mail me too
Jul 21 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

3 posts views Thread by domeceo | last post: by
8 posts views Thread by Dennis Myrén | last post: by
17 posts views Thread by LP | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Scott Zabolotzky | last post: by
11 posts views Thread by John Pass | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by MSDNAndi | last post: by
12 posts views Thread by Andrew Bullock | last post: by
reply views Thread by XIAOLAOHU | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.