472,374 Members | 1,314 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 472,374 software developers and data experts.

Shelton/C# should be able to match my HTM_TXT.EXE .


Hi Tom, You showed: <<
private const string PHONE_LIST =
"495.1000__424.1111___(206)564-5555_1.800.325.3333";

static void Main( string[] args ) {
foreach (string phoneNumber in Regex.Split (PHONE_LIST, "_+")) {
Console.WriteLine (phoneNumber); } }

Output:
495.1000
424.1111
(206)564-5555
1.800.325.3333 >>

Thanks Tom, that's very interesting,
but not enough to switch me away from LoopTo(),
RegEx simply isn't as flexible.

#define LoopTo( StopCond ) \
while ( Ch && ( Ch = ( uchar ) * ++ P ) \
&& ! ( Ch2 = ( uchar ) P [ 1 ], StopCond ) )

It's a very simple matter to convert HTML to plain text,
following these rules:

These are valid HTML tags: &#x20; <! Comment --> <Alpha> </Alpha>
But, due to the leading space, < Alpha> is not.
Things like &Unknown are sent through untranslated, for obvious reasons.

Pass HTM_TXT.EXE a .HTML file and it spits out a .TXT file.
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.EXE
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.CPP
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.VCPROJ

If RegEx is as powerful as you say,
you should be able to produce something that works at least as well,
and which is just as readable, or more, to me.

Jul 21 '05
58 4469

Hi Stefan_Simek,

Your HTM_TXT.EXE preserves whitespace reasonably well,
as your Index.TXT was exactly the same, byte for byte, as mine.
As I tried to say before, my code does not look for the <pre> tag,
it just always preserves whitespace.

Re: using (StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(args[1], false
, Encoding.GetEncoding(1250))) sw.Write(output);

Well done !

Re: This .NET 1.1 stuff:
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/htm_txt.cs
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/htm_txt.exe
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/build.bat

Now that's much more like it, well done,
I liked that much more than the .ZIP you showed before.

Re: Your .NET framework 2.0.5 ( beta2 ) code with anonymous delegates,

That was very interesting, but it complicated the installation.

Re: System.Web.HttpUtility.HtmlDecode( m.Value );,

You wrote: << I see no reason for writing my own entity parser
as long as there's one provided by the framework. >>

You have a point there, but I like playing with the lower_level stuff.

You wrote: << Sure it's not like C. It's been a few years since 1978,
and the ways of programing have evolved by now... >>

C# is a mutation, and a rather recent one at that,
it doesn't meet my needs... no #define.

Jul 21 '05 #51
Jeff_Relf wrote:
Hi Stefan_Simek,

Your HTM_TXT.EXE preserves whitespace reasonably well,
Am I missing something here?

As a test I saved this page:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/search.php

as a text file.

I compiled htm_txt.cs in mono and ran it against search.php.html, it
produced a text file search.php.txt This output file has only one line
in it -- what appears to be the title.

Both the html source and txt output are attached.


as your Index.TXT was exactly the same, byte for byte, as mine.
As I tried to say before, my code does not look for the <pre> tag,
it just always preserves whitespace.

Re: using (StreamWriter sw = new StreamWriter(args[1], false
, Encoding.GetEncoding(1250))) sw.Write(output);

Well done !

Re: This .NET 1.1 stuff:
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/htm_txt.cs
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/htm_txt.exe
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/build.bat

Now that's much more like it, well done,
I liked that much more than the .ZIP you showed before.

Re: Your .NET framework 2.0.5 ( beta2 ) code with anonymous delegates,

That was very interesting, but it complicated the installation.

Re: System.Web.HttpUtility.HtmlDecode( m.Value );,

You wrote: << I see no reason for writing my own entity parser
as long as there's one provided by the framework. >>

You have a point there, but I like playing with the lower_level stuff.

You wrote: << Sure it's not like C. It's been a few years since 1978,
and the ways of programing have evolved by now... >>

C# is a mutation, and a rather recent one at that,
it doesn't meet my needs... no #define.

HowStuffWorks - Search
Jul 21 '05 #52

Hi John, Re: Your attempt to convert
http://www.howstuffworks.com/search.php

You can't just do a Save_Page_As, you Must do a View_Source first.

This is what the .HTM file should look like:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/BB.HTM
and my HTM_TXT.EXE translates it to this:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/BB.TXT

Notice that my HTM_TXT is faithful to the raw whitespace and the <BR> tag,
leaving/printing as many as was called for,
while Stefan_Simek's HTM_TXT won't allow more than two blank lines in a row.

But I had to radically modify my HTM_TXT to properly handle multilined tags:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.EXE
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.CPP
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.VCPROJ

And, because HTM_TXT is merely a demo of code from X.CPP
( my custom e-mail client and newsreader ) these files were also affected:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/X.EXE
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/X.CPP
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/X.VCPROJ

Jul 21 '05 #53

By the way John, Re:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.CPP
http://www.kascomp.sk/tmp/htm_txt.cs

Both HTM_TXT.CPP and htm_txt.cs could be called obfuscated.
In fact, I consider my own code to be more readable,
( perhaps because I wrote it ).

Any code that does useful work is going to take time to understand.

Jul 21 '05 #54
Jeff_Relf wrote:
Any code that does useful work is going to take time to understand.


Very true...which is why you should not dismiss all .NET code as being
written by "script kiddies".
Jul 21 '05 #55
Jeff_Relf wrote:
But I had to radically modify my HTM_TXT to properly handle multilined tags: And, because HTM_TXT is merely a demo of code from X.CPP


I see, so you admit that all you do is write sample code...but
completely unextensible.

The c# folks just proved how inflexible c++ code is because you have to
set up a static starting point and then produce a result.

Whereas us c# people have been able to dynamically change our code very
quickly as you move the goal posts around to suit yourself.
Jul 21 '05 #56
In article <2s********************@speakeasy.net>, Journey To The Center of The Earth wrote:
Jeff_Relf wrote:
But I had to radically modify my HTM_TXT to properly handle multilined tags:

And, because HTM_TXT is merely a demo of code from X.CPP


I see, so you admit that all you do is write sample code...but
completely unextensible.

The c# folks just proved how inflexible c++ code is because you have to
set up a static starting point and then produce a result.

Whereas us c# people have been able to dynamically change our code very
quickly as you move the goal posts around to suit yourself.


That's why I gave up... Relf will never be satisfied. My attempt met
every one of the criteria that he laid out in the original post - except
for entity translation, and the only reason I didn't handle that was
because I was unclear on what he wanted to have happen (and I did ask
for clarification, but never did see a response). But, when he saw that
I did it in like 3-4 lines of code - suddenly, several more criteria are
added.

It was the same thing with the phone number parsing... With every post
of an answer he had to change the format.

Relf doesn't want to use C#. That's fine, we all make choices and he
has made his. I have no intention of producing another line of code for
him.

--
Tom Shelton
Jul 21 '05 #57

Hi Tom_Shelton ( and Bellow ),
Re: The Piss_Poor job you did of converting HTML to plain text,

You thought you could match my HTM_TXT.CPP while your dishes dryed,
....how naive !

Not even Stefan_Simek could faithfully perserve blank lines
or honor all <br> tags.

Try converting BB.HTM Tom:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/BB.HTM
Make it look like this:
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/BB.TXT

http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.EXE
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.CPP
http://www.Cotse.NET/users/jeffrelf/HTM_TXT.VCPROJ

The best Simek could do was
to leave a lot of blank lines where the tags used to be
and then consolidate mulitple blank lines into one.

i.e. Simek's htm_txt.cs produces blank lines where I do Not want them,
and omits blank lines where I Do want them.

Does it surprize you that I didn't give you my full specs at first ?
It shouldn't... I didn't want to overwhelm you any more than I already was.

You told Bailo: << That's why I gave up... Relf will never be satisfied.
My attempt met every one of the criteria that he laid out
in the original post - except for entity translation... >>

Unlike Kelsey and Simek, you never figured out how to download an HTML page
( you must do a View_Source before the Save_Page_As ).

You wrote: << It was the same thing with the phone number parsing,
...With every post of an answer he had to change the format. >>

Right... you couldn't understand what my code was doing,
and, therefore, what I required of it.
Nor did you have the patience to have me explain it.
....No surprises there... huh ?

You concluded: << Relf doesn't want to use C#.
That's fine, we all make choices and he has made his.
I have no intention of producing another line of code for him. >>

Using COM and other bloatware is fine in a pinch ( Slo-o-ow ),
but it's not the hallmark of a serious coder.
....You're a Half_Assed coder, Shelton... end of story.

#define is too dangerous for C# kiddies such as you.

#define LOOP while ( 1 )

#define Loop( N ) int J = - 1, LLL = N ; while ( ++ J < LLL )

#define LoopTo( StopCond ) \
while ( Ch && ( Ch = ( uchar ) * ++ P ) \
&& ! ( Ch2 = ( uchar ) P [ 1 ], StopCond ) )

#define LoopXx( Xx ) Xx##P P = 0, B ; int J = -1 ; \
Xx##A BB = Xx.BB, EE = Xx.PP + 1, PP = BB - 1 ; \
if ( BB ) while ( ++ J, B = P = * ++ PP, PP < EE )

Jul 21 '05 #58

Hi Bellow, You told me: <<
I see, so you admit that all you do is write sample code
...but completely unextensible. >>

HTM_TXT.EXE demonstrates 47 lines of code from X.CPP,
and X is used daily be me, as it's the best e-mail client newsreader
I've never known... by miles.

And you know it's totally flexible, as you see how I change it all the time.

Jul 21 '05 #59

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

1
by: elmlish | last post by:
Hello all, I'm currently befuddled as to how to efficiently test for a positive re. match then use the results of that match in a function. Mostly what I've seen people do is to first test for...
3
by: bdwise | last post by:
I have this in my body tag: something();something(); document.thisForm.textBox1.focus();something(); And I want to find a part between the semicolons that ends in focus() and remove the...
6
by: Matt Wette | last post by:
Over the last few years I have converted from Perl and Scheme to Python. There one task that I do often that is really slick in Perl but escapes me in Python. I read in a text line from a file...
6
by: Duane Morin | last post by:
I've inherited an XSL transform that I need to squeeze every last millisecond out of (since it's running several hundred thousand times). I've noticed that there are 26 match clauses in the file....
3
by: Jeff McPhail | last post by:
I am using Regex.Match in a large application and the memory is growing out of control. I have tried several ways to try and release the memory and none of them work. Here are some similar examples...
63
by: Jeff_Relf | last post by:
Hi Tom, You showed: << private const string PHONE_LIST = "495.1000__424.1111___(206)564-5555_1.800.325.3333"; static void Main( string args ) { foreach (string phoneNumber in Regex.Split...
15
by: John Dann | last post by:
I'm looking at switching from VB6 to .Net but there's one key aspect that I can't get my head around: As I understand it, anyone wanting to run an app developed under VB.Net needs the .Net...
2
dlite922
by: dlite922 | last post by:
This might be a javascript problem, but I want to see if there's any way in CSS to do it first. I have two floating divs, one wide on the left contains the "content" of the page, the second...
16
by: vorlonfear | last post by:
I have been working on this for a while now and I wanted to see if someone could assist me. I have 2 tables each with 5 fields. 4 of the fields are 2 character strings, then the final field is the...
2
by: Kemmylinns12 | last post by:
Blockchain technology has emerged as a transformative force in the business world, offering unprecedented opportunities for innovation and efficiency. While initially associated with cryptocurrencies...
0
by: Naresh1 | last post by:
What is WebLogic Admin Training? WebLogic Admin Training is a specialized program designed to equip individuals with the skills and knowledge required to effectively administer and manage Oracle...
0
by: antdb | last post by:
Ⅰ. Advantage of AntDB: hyper-convergence + streaming processing engine In the overall architecture, a new "hyper-convergence" concept was proposed, which integrated multiple engines and...
0
hi
by: WisdomUfot | last post by:
It's an interesting question you've got about how Gmail hides the HTTP referrer when a link in an email is clicked. While I don't have the specific technical details, Gmail likely implements measures...
0
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello Folks, I am trying to hook up a CPU which I designed using SystemC to I/O pins on an FPGA. My problem (spelled failure) is with the synthesis of my design into a bitstream, not the C++...
0
BLUEPANDA
by: BLUEPANDA | last post by:
At BluePanda Dev, we're passionate about building high-quality software and sharing our knowledge with the community. That's why we've created a SaaS starter kit that's not only easy to use but also...
2
by: Ricardo de Mila | last post by:
Dear people, good afternoon... I have a form in msAccess with lots of controls and a specific routine must be triggered if the mouse_down event happens in any control. Than I need to discover what...
1
by: ezappsrUS | last post by:
Hi, I wonder if someone knows where I am going wrong below. I have a continuous form and two labels where only one would be visible depending on the checkbox being checked or not. Below is the...
0
by: F22F35 | last post by:
I am a newbie to Access (most programming for that matter). I need help in creating an Access database that keeps the history of each user in a database. For example, a user might have lesson 1 sent...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.