By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
434,826 Members | 2,384 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 434,826 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

PreCaching Dot Net Framework Load

P: n/a

Is there a way to preload the MS compondents of the Dot Net Framework V1.1
Before user login ?

We have a few programs that are created under VB Dot Net that run at user
login. On the older machines it takes quite a while for the Framework to
load (all code native Dot Net, no 3rd Party) with the rest of the system,
and makes it appear to hang.

Is there a service or a way of preloading the Framework to make it appear
faster ?

With Thanks

Jason
Jul 21 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
3 Replies


P: n/a
Jason Garland (Secure Access Pty Ltd) wrote:
Is there a way to preload the MS compondents of the Dot Net Framework V1.1
Before user login ?

We have a few programs that are created under VB Dot Net that run at user
login. On the older machines it takes quite a while for the Framework to
load (all code native Dot Net, no 3rd Party) with the rest of the system,
and makes it appear to hang.

Is there a service or a way of preloading the Framework to make it appear
faster ?

With Thanks

Jason


Hi Jason -

Have a look at Ngen.exe (Native Image Generator). From MSDN:
The Native Image Generator creates a native image from a managed assembly
and installs it into the native image cache on the local computer. The
native image cache is a reserved area of the global assembly cache. Once you
create a native image for an assembly, the runtime automatically uses that
native image each time it runs the assembly. You do not have to perform any
additional procedures to cause the runtime to use a native image. Running
Ngen.exe on an assembly allows the assembly to load and execute faster,
because it restores code and data structures from the native image cache
rather than generating them dynamically.

More info here: http://tinyurl.com/2or38

--
chris
Jul 21 '05 #2

P: n/a
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:30:01 -0500, chris <ne********@boxfrog.com> wrote:
Jason Garland (Secure Access Pty Ltd) wrote:

Hi Jason -

Have a look at Ngen.exe (Native Image Generator). From MSDN:
The Native Image Generator creates a native image from a managed
assembly and installs it into the native image cache on the local
computer. The native image cache is a reserved area of the global
assembly cache. Once you create a native image for an assembly, the
runtime automatically uses that native image each time it runs the
assembly. You do not have to perform any additional procedures to cause
the runtime to use a native image. Running Ngen.exe on an assembly
allows the assembly to load and execute faster, because it restores code
and data structures from the native image cache rather than generating
them dynamically.

More info here: http://tinyurl.com/2or38


In most cases, results of Ngen's work are unrunnable (critical error at
startup, etc.), I'm afraid you can only write your own preloader, but I
haven't seen anybody went so far.... :)
--
.... blood, sugar, sex, magic ...
CIA = Caught In Action programmer
Jul 21 '05 #3

P: n/a
Maniaque |CIA| <cape[a]fromru[dot]com> wrote in message news:<op**************@msnews.microsoft.com>...
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:30:01 -0500, chris <ne********@boxfrog.com> wrote:
Jason Garland (Secure Access Pty Ltd) wrote:

Hi Jason -

Have a look at Ngen.exe (Native Image Generator). From MSDN:
The Native Image Generator creates a native image from a managed


In most cases, results of Ngen's work are unrunnable (critical error at
startup, etc.), I'm afraid you can only write your own preloader, but I
haven't seen anybody went so far.... :)


Could you cite your source please?

--
chris
Jul 21 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.