473,240 Members | 1,454 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post Job

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 473,240 software developers and data experts.

Upgrade Advice

Hi Newsgroup,

I'm currently using VS Ver 7.0.9466 with an OS of Server 2000 (domain
controller) Ver 5.0.2195 (Build 2195) SP4.

I have MSDN Universal and would like to upgrade my development environment
ot Server 2003 and VS 2003

Do I need to start from scratch, or will can I use Server 2003 as a simple
upgrade to my existing OS?
Do I need to remove VS 7 to upgrade to VS 2003?

Thanks.
Jul 21 '05 #1
4 1928
I don't know the answer on the OS but you do not need to remove VS 7 1.0 to
install VS.NET 1.1. They coexist fine.

http://www.knowdotnet.com

"Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
news:uh**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
Hi Newsgroup,

I'm currently using VS Ver 7.0.9466 with an OS of Server 2000 (domain
controller) Ver 5.0.2195 (Build 2195) SP4.

I have MSDN Universal and would like to upgrade my development environment
ot Server 2003 and VS 2003

Do I need to start from scratch, or will can I use Server 2003 as a simple
upgrade to my existing OS?
Do I need to remove VS 7 to upgrade to VS 2003?

Thanks.

Jul 21 '05 #2
Hi, Dave

This is really a more appropriate topic for
microsoft.public.windows.server.migration. This is not an MSDN managed
newsgroup, but the technet folks are there.

Dotnet should not be impacted by an upgrade. The migration should happen
seamlessly. It doesn't always, for any number of reasons. Most often this
is due to an idiosyncratic configuration. It doesn't matter if the upgrade
works 99% of the time if your system happens to be in the other 1%. If I
were doing it, I would use this as an opportunity to clean up the system
with a fresh install. If you decide to upgrade, back everything up and go
for it. The only thing you lose if it fails it time

Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
| Reply-To: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| From: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| Subject: Upgrade Advice
| Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:27:42 -0600
| X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| Hi Newsgroup,
|
| I'm currently using VS Ver 7.0.9466 with an OS of Server 2000 (domain
| controller) Ver 5.0.2195 (Build 2195) SP4.
|
| I have MSDN Universal and would like to upgrade my development environment
| ot Server 2003 and VS 2003
|
| Do I need to start from scratch, or will can I use Server 2003 as a simple
| upgrade to my existing OS?
| Do I need to remove VS 7 to upgrade to VS 2003?
|
| Thanks.
|
|
|

Jul 21 '05 #3
One machine I upgraded and another I did from scratch. The upgrade had
several problems that were only resolved with a service call to MS (they did
a very good job). The fresh install when without a hitch. I may decide to
redo the other machine in time - but it will be a really big task due to
other software issues.

""John Eikanger [MSFT]"" <jo****@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:%2****************@cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl...
Hi, Dave

This is really a more appropriate topic for
microsoft.public.windows.server.migration. This is not an MSDN managed
newsgroup, but the technet folks are there.

Dotnet should not be impacted by an upgrade. The migration should happen
seamlessly. It doesn't always, for any number of reasons. Most often this is due to an idiosyncratic configuration. It doesn't matter if the upgrade works 99% of the time if your system happens to be in the other 1%. If I
were doing it, I would use this as an opportunity to clean up the system
with a fresh install. If you decide to upgrade, back everything up and go
for it. The only thing you lose if it fails it time

Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. --------------------
| Reply-To: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| From: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| Subject: Upgrade Advice
| Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:27:42 -0600
| X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| Hi Newsgroup,
|
| I'm currently using VS Ver 7.0.9466 with an OS of Server 2000 (domain
| controller) Ver 5.0.2195 (Build 2195) SP4.
|
| I have MSDN Universal and would like to upgrade my development environment | ot Server 2003 and VS 2003
|
| Do I need to start from scratch, or will can I use Server 2003 as a simple | upgrade to my existing OS?
| Do I need to remove VS 7 to upgrade to VS 2003?
|
| Thanks.
|
|
|

Jul 21 '05 #4
Hi, Dave

Glad to hear that you are up and running.

Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,

John Eikanger
Microsoft Developer Support

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--------------------
| From: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| References: <uh**************@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>
<#T**************@cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl>
| Subject: Re: Upgrade Advice
| Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:05:52 -0600
| Lines: 59
| X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
|
| One machine I upgraded and another I did from scratch. The upgrade had
| several problems that were only resolved with a service call to MS (they
did
| a very good job). The fresh install when without a hitch. I may decide
to
| redo the other machine in time - but it will be a really big task due to
| other software issues.
|
| ""John Eikanger [MSFT]"" <jo****@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| news:%2****************@cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl...
| > Hi, Dave
| >
| > This is really a more appropriate topic for
| > microsoft.public.windows.server.migration. This is not an MSDN managed
| > newsgroup, but the technet folks are there.
| >
| > Dotnet should not be impacted by an upgrade. The migration should
happen
| > seamlessly. It doesn't always, for any number of reasons. Most often
| this
| > is due to an idiosyncratic configuration. It doesn't matter if the
| upgrade
| > works 99% of the time if your system happens to be in the other 1%. If
I
| > were doing it, I would use this as an opportunity to clean up the system
| > with a fresh install. If you decide to upgrade, back everything up and
go
| > for it. The only thing you lose if it fails it time
| >
| > Thank you for choosing the MSDN Managed Newsgroups,
| >
| > John Eikanger
| > Microsoft Developer Support
| >
| > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | Reply-To: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| > | From: "Dave Harney" <da********@wi.rr.com>
| > | Subject: Upgrade Advice
| > | Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:27:42 -0600
| > | X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.general
| > |
| > | Hi Newsgroup,
| > |
| > | I'm currently using VS Ver 7.0.9466 with an OS of Server 2000 (domain
| > | controller) Ver 5.0.2195 (Build 2195) SP4.
| > |
| > | I have MSDN Universal and would like to upgrade my development
| environment
| > | ot Server 2003 and VS 2003
| > |
| > | Do I need to start from scratch, or will can I use Server 2003 as a
| simple
| > | upgrade to my existing OS?
| > | Do I need to remove VS 7 to upgrade to VS 2003?
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| >
|
|
|

Jul 21 '05 #5

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

2
by: BDR | last post by:
Questions for anyone with experience on this topic... Sit: We're running a standalone server with applications/db's written around 3.23.41. Linux R/H 7.2 with updates. This is an Apache...
1
by: DickChristoph | last post by:
Hi I am interested in converting a Access 97 application to VB.Net (well okay rewriting). This would be a VB.Net client with a SQL Server backend, as opposed to my other alternative which would...
2
by: scott | last post by:
Hi, Does anyone know if i can upgrade: FROM: VISUAL STUDIO .NET ENTERPRISE ARCHITECT EDITION TO: Microsoft MS Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 - Upgrade package
5
by: allenj | last post by:
DB2 UDB 7.2 WSE Fixpak 9 Linux Red Hat 7.3 I will soon be upgrading my DB2 v7 database to v8, and at the same time will be upgrading the server hardware (ie a brand new server). What is the...
3
by: elaine morgan | last post by:
I have a Microsoft Office Professional & Bookshelf for Windows 95 CD. (version 7.0) This version of Office Pro includes version 7.0 of Access95. Pre installed on my new computer is, Microsoft...
1
by: SKG | last post by:
Hi all We currently use a split A2k database system with about 10,000 clients / 45,000 orders / 90,000 order entries etc with about 17 users (only 8 users do editing) We currently upload data...
47
by: ship | last post by:
Hi We need some advice: We are thinking of upgrading our Access database from Access 2000 to Access 2004. How stable is MS Office 2003? (particularly Access 2003). We are just a small...
6
by: Joseph Geretz | last post by:
I recently upgraded my server to Windows 2003. The first thing I noticed is that my sample WebService pages no longer worked. The Invoke test button is missing. This is addresed by the following KB...
4
by: Dave Harney | last post by:
Hi Newsgroup, I'm currently using VS Ver 7.0.9466 with an OS of Server 2000 (domain controller) Ver 5.0.2195 (Build 2195) SP4. I have MSDN Universal and would like to upgrade my development...
3
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe meeting will be on Wednesday 3 Jan 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC) and finishing at about 19:15 (7.15PM). For other local times, please check World Time Buddy In...
0
by: abbasky | last post by:
### Vandf component communication method one: data sharing ​ Vandf components can achieve data exchange through data sharing, state sharing, events, and other methods. Vandf's data exchange method...
0
by: fareedcanada | last post by:
Hello I am trying to split number on their count. suppose i have 121314151617 (12cnt) then number should be split like 12,13,14,15,16,17 and if 11314151617 (11cnt) then should be split like...
0
by: stefan129 | last post by:
Hey forum members, I'm exploring options for SSL certificates for multiple domains. Has anyone had experience with multi-domain SSL certificates? Any recommendations on reliable providers or specific...
1
by: davi5007 | last post by:
Hi, Basically, I am trying to automate a field named TraceabilityNo into a web page from an access form. I've got the serial held in the variable strSearchString. How can I get this into the...
0
by: MeoLessi9 | last post by:
I have VirtualBox installed on Windows 11 and now I would like to install Kali on a virtual machine. However, on the official website, I see two options: "Installer images" and "Virtual machines"....
0
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
The formulas of 101 quantitative trading alphas used by WorldQuant were presented in the paper 101 Formulaic Alphas. However, some formulas are complex, leading to challenges in calculation. Take...
0
by: DolphinDB | last post by:
Tired of spending countless mintues downsampling your data? Look no further! In this article, you’ll learn how to efficiently downsample 6.48 billion high-frequency records to 61 million...
0
by: Aftab Ahmad | last post by:
Hello Experts! I have written a code in MS Access for a cmd called "WhatsApp Message" to open WhatsApp using that very code but the problem is that it gives a popup message everytime I clicked on...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.