By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
457,707 Members | 1,337 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 457,707 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Visual Studio .NET Toolbox disabled in all applications

P: n/a
I have developed with Visual Studio .NET on the same PC for around 9
months now. I upgraded from VS.NET 2002 to VS.NET 2003 about 3 months
ago no problems and since then I have continued coding, compiling and
releasing mostly ASP.NET and Windows Forms applications. My
workstation is Windows XP Sp1 with all the latest critical security
patches/upgrades installed from Windows Update.

This week I noticed that the VS.NET ToolBox with the standard
components on it (textbox, label etc.) was disabled - that is all the
items on it are greyed out and cannot be dragged onto the designer for
a windows form. This is the same with all the "tabs" on the ToolBox,
no matter what application is open, and whatever state
(designer/code/html) it is in, including ASP.NET applications, and in
all of my old applications as well as new ones.

I use Visual SourceSafe as well - version 6.0d, but files are checked
out and writeable when I am editing them. I have tried running the
visual studio .NET setup CD in repair mode, and also reinstalling .NET
Framework SP2 out of desperation - does anyone know what on earth this
could be?

What might I install to fix the problem? Or is it likely to be a
corruption that requires a complete uninstall/reboot/reinstall (this
will take a full day on my PC - it's not slow but the installation
script is VERY slow!)

Development has been put on hold for a while...
Jul 21 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply

P: n/a
OK I figured it out - pretty stupid of me really:

I have no idea why (don't remember doing this myself) but every one of
the components in the add/remove items dialog of the toolbar was
unchecked. I didn't notice there was a problem because no components
were selected here, yet they still appeared in the toolbar but were
disabled. I would have expected them to disappear from the toolbar if
they were "removed" - i.e. unchecked.

All I needed to do was click the reset button...DOH! Sorry if I wasted
anyone's time!
Jul 21 '05 #2

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.