By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
464,442 Members | 1,031 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 464,442 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Solved: Manifest does not match assembly reference

P: n/a
Instead of posting a problem, I will post a solution to a
problem that I've seen posted many times. One which I
just hit and solved.

I've been using signed assemblies (have to... they are
called by Biztalk over a COM Interop layer). Along the
way, I changed one of the assemblies that my system
depends on, and started getting the following error:

General Information
Additional Info:
ExceptionManager.MachineName: FUDGEFACTOR
ExceptionManager.TimeStamp: 11/26/2003 12:09:42 PM
Version=1.0.1406.18430, Culture=neutral,
ExceptionManager.AppDomainName: DefaultDomain
ExceptionManager.WindowsIdentity: DEV\NICK

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.IO.FileLoadException
Message: The located assembly's manifest definition with
name 'MHD.LocalMachine' does not match the assembly
FileName: MHD.LocalMachine
FusionLog: === Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = MHD.LocalMachine,
Version=1.0.1419.25873, Culture=neutral,
LOG: Appbase = C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server\
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = NULL
Calling assembly : MHD.CISCollector,
Version=1.0.1424.32062, Culture=neutral,

Using the ILDASM utility, inspecting the Manifest, I was
able to see that my calling assembly: MHD.CISCollector,
was, in fact, asking for an older version of the library
than existed on disk.

I tried dropping the references in Visual Studio and re-
adding them, and recompiling, to no avail.

Apparently, having any application open on the build
machine that USES the older assembly will cause the older
version to be referenced in the new compile. Since I had
NUNIT running, and it had loaded an older version of my
application, the old DLL was still loaded in memory. The
C# compiler picked up the version information from the DLL
in memory, rather than the one on disk, and placed it in
the manifest.

Needless to say, once deployed to another machine, it
failed miserably, since the older version is simply not
available on the test machine. (In fact, I had deleted
the file from my dev machine too, but that didn't take it
out of memory. I had to end the application to have that

So, for those of you with this problem, who find this
notice (now, or later on Google Groups), I hope this helps.

--- Nick Malik
Jul 21 '05 #1
Share this question for a faster answer!
Share on Google+

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.