469,898 Members | 1,586 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,898 developers. It's quick & easy.

How Do I Remove MySQL so I can Start Fresh?

KC
Hello

I installed MySQL ver 4.0.20d on a Windows XP Professional PC. I created a
user and database that I would like to delete, and at this point I would
just like to uninstall MySQL and do a fresh installation.

I have deleted MySQL by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or
Remove Programs. However, when I reinstall MySQL, the previous user and
database are restored, too. How does one do a complete removal of MySQL so
that it can be reinstalled as though it was never on the PC before?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give


Jul 20 '05 #1
5 53069
KC wrote:
I have deleted MySQL by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or
Remove Programs. However, when I reinstall MySQL, the previous user and
database are restored, too. How does one do a complete removal of MySQL so
that it can be reinstalled as though it was never on the PC before?


After the 2remove programs" part, delete manually the mysql folder,
normally located in C:\mysql\ but the location could be different
depending on where you installed it.

After removing it, there is no way that previous databases could exist,
because they are located there. Users are also part of the database, so
they will be gone also.
Jul 20 '05 #2
KC
Aggro

I did the following and still the old user name and db appear after
reinstallation..:

1. "Add or Remove Programs
2. Deleted c:\mysql
3. Deleted c:\windows\my.ini (that file was created when I ran
c:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe to set up MySQL)
4. Rebooted the PC
5. Reinstalled MySQL

The previous user name and db still appears. Is there someplace else this
information is stored?

"Aggro" <sp**********@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cy***************@read3.inet.fi...
KC wrote:
I have deleted MySQL by going to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. However, when I reinstall MySQL, the previous user and
database are restored, too. How does one do a complete removal of MySQL so that it can be reinstalled as though it was never on the PC before?


After the 2remove programs" part, delete manually the mysql folder,
normally located in C:\mysql\ but the location could be different
depending on where you installed it.

After removing it, there is no way that previous databases could exist,
because they are located there. Users are also part of the database, so
they will be gone also.

Jul 20 '05 #3
KC wrote:
1. "Add or Remove Programs
2. Deleted c:\mysql
3. Deleted c:\windows\my.ini (that file was created when I ran
c:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe to set up MySQL)
4. Rebooted the PC
5. Reinstalled MySQL

The previous user name and db still appears. Is there someplace else this
information is stored?


No, on windows platform the database files are located in c:\mysql\data\
folder. I hope you don't by username mean test or root, and by database
mean mysql or test databases, because they come with the installation.

I assume this has nothing to do with the XP system restore feature? I
don't know how it works, but I know that for example if you remove
viruses and you have system restore enabled, viruses will come back. So
you could try disabling the system restore while you reinstall MySQL. I
don't know how to do that.
Jul 20 '05 #4
KC wrote:
The previous user name and db still appears. Is there someplace else this
information is stored?


What do you mean when you say they appear? Where do you see them? Are
they showing up as choices in your GUI tool, or are they actually in the
'mysql' database? Can you connect to that database using that username?

If they're saved by the GUI tool, it's possible the tool stores them in
an ini file, or in the windows registry.

Bill K.
Jul 20 '05 #5
KC
OK - got it fixed. It was more a case of poor directions than a hardware or
software problem. When my support guy actually spoke to me on the phone, he
realized that the email directions were flawed. Wish we would have had that
call a couple of days ago - I was going crazy with this. Thanks for all the
help everyone.
"Aggro" <sp**********@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Q_**************@read3.inet.fi...
KC wrote:
1. "Add or Remove Programs
2. Deleted c:\mysql
3. Deleted c:\windows\my.ini (that file was created when I ran
c:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe to set up MySQL)
4. Rebooted the PC
5. Reinstalled MySQL

The previous user name and db still appears. Is there someplace else this information is stored?


No, on windows platform the database files are located in c:\mysql\data\
folder. I hope you don't by username mean test or root, and by database
mean mysql or test databases, because they come with the installation.

I assume this has nothing to do with the XP system restore feature? I
don't know how it works, but I know that for example if you remove
viruses and you have system restore enabled, viruses will come back. So
you could try disabling the system restore while you reinstall MySQL. I
don't know how to do that.

Jul 20 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

reply views Thread by sanjay gupta | last post: by
reply views Thread by Mark Adams | last post: by
reply views Thread by Mark Adams | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by geek55 | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by pc | last post: by
8 posts views Thread by eholz1 | last post: by
reply views Thread by Salome Sato | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.