By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
460,044 Members | 1,192 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 460,044 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

flaky rollover script

P: n/a
Hey folks,

Can someone take a look at this page and tell me what's up:

http://caraher.org/

You'll notice that the "links" button, which has a rollover script
attached, doesn't work. I've stared at it for far too long and can't
spot the problem. It's out-of-the-box Dreamweaver code, as I was not
getting paid enough to do any custom work here, but I've never had any
serious trouble with Dreamweaver's code before. In any case, the other
rollovers work. I can't figure out what is different about this one.

Thanks ahead...

stedae
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:
http://caraher.org/


in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not defined"
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:
http://caraher.org/


in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not defined"


Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
properly.

stedae
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
In article <sd*****************************@netnews.comcast.n et>,
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote:
In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:
http://caraher.org/


in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not defined"


Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
properly.

stedae


Well, if the function isn't defined the onload instance stops and your
rollovers don't get loaded. I don't know why one works.

The home page has:
onload="preloadImages();MM_preloadImages ...

but a lower page such as http://caraher.org/links.html has:

onload="MM_preloadImages ...

Try deleting preloadImages();

I haven't tried this.

Robert
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
In article <rc*****************************@news1.west.earthl ink.net>,
Robert <rc*******@my-deja.com> wrote:
In article <sd*****************************@netnews.comcast.n et>,
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote:
In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:

> http://caraher.org/

in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not defined"


Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
properly.

stedae


Well, if the function isn't defined the onload instance stops and your
rollovers don't get loaded. I don't know why one works.

The home page has:
onload="preloadImages();MM_preloadImages ...

but a lower page such as http://caraher.org/links.html has:

onload="MM_preloadImages ...

Try deleting preloadImages();

I haven't tried this.

Robert


But my point is that failure to preload the images doesn't make any
difference to the rollover script. The preload script simply causes the
images to be cached. If it fails, the rollover still works, but the
images have to be loaded when the rollover is called.

In any case, I fixed this and it didn't make a difference.
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in
news:sd*****************************@netnews.comca st.net:
In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:
> http://caraher.org/


in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not
defined"


Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
properly.

stedae


I'm pretty sure the rest of the onLoad won't run, therefore the preloads
won't occur. Don't know how that would effect the rollover code, haven't
really looked at the code in detail ... would removing the
"preLoadImages()" call in the body onload be too difficult?
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in
news:sd*****************************@netnews.comca st.net:
In article <rc*****************************@news1.west.earthl ink.net>,
Robert <rc*******@my-deja.com> wrote:
In article <sd*****************************@netnews.comcast.n et>,
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote:
> In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
> John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
>
> > Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
> > 66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:
> >
> > > http://caraher.org/
> >
> > in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not
> > defined"
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
> rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
> properly.
>
> stedae


Well, if the function isn't defined the onload instance stops and
your rollovers don't get loaded. I don't know why one works.

The home page has:
onload="preloadImages();MM_preloadImages ...

but a lower page such as http://caraher.org/links.html has:

onload="MM_preloadImages ...

Try deleting preloadImages();

I haven't tried this.

Robert


But my point is that failure to preload the images doesn't make any
difference to the rollover script. The preload script simply causes
the images to be cached. If it fails, the rollover still works, but
the images have to be loaded when the rollover is called.

In any case, I fixed this and it didn't make a difference.


Sorry, I didn't read your reply properly ;-)
Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:13:49 GMT, Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov>
wrote:

[snip]
You'll notice that the "links" button, which has a rollover script
attached, doesn't work. I've stared at it for far too long and can't
spot the problem. It's out-of-the-box Dreamweaver code, as I was not
getting paid enough to do any custom work here, but I've never had any
serious trouble with Dreamweaver's code before. In any case, the other
rollovers work. I can't figure out what is different about this one.


The only problem I have is with the call to the non-existant
preloadImages() function onload. All six rollovers work fine.

Opera 7.23/Win

Mike

--
Michael Winter
M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid (replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply)
Jul 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
In article <op**************@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Michael Winter <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> wrote:
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 01:13:49 GMT, Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov>
wrote:

[snip]
You'll notice that the "links" button, which has a rollover script
attached, doesn't work. I've stared at it for far too long and can't
spot the problem. It's out-of-the-box Dreamweaver code, as I was not
getting paid enough to do any custom work here, but I've never had any
serious trouble with Dreamweaver's code before. In any case, the other
rollovers work. I can't figure out what is different about this one.


The only problem I have is with the call to the non-existant
preloadImages() function onload. All six rollovers work fine.

Opera 7.23/Win

Mike


Really? That's odd. I've tried it on three machines and half a dozen
browsers and it's still messed up. How weird is that?
Jul 20 '05 #9

P: n/a
In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in
news:sd*****************************@netnews.comca st.net:
In article <rc*****************************@news1.west.earthl ink.net>,
Robert <rc*******@my-deja.com> wrote:
In article <sd*****************************@netnews.comcast.n et>,
Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote:

> In article <Xn***************************@203.26.24.228>,
> John <jo**@mshome.net> wrote:
>
> > Steven Daedelus <sd*******@ira.gov> wrote in news:sdaedelus-
> > 66*******************@netnews.comcast.net:
> >
> > > http://caraher.org/
> >
> > in Mozilla JavaScript Console, I get "Error: preLoadImages is not
> > defined"
>
> Yeah, I noticed that too. That shouldn't make any difference to the
> rollovers, though, especially since only one of them doesn't work
> properly.
>
> stedae

Well, if the function isn't defined the onload instance stops and
your rollovers don't get loaded. I don't know why one works.

The home page has:
onload="preloadImages();MM_preloadImages ...

but a lower page such as http://caraher.org/links.html has:

onload="MM_preloadImages ...

Try deleting preloadImages();

I haven't tried this.

Robert


But my point is that failure to preload the images doesn't make any
difference to the rollover script. The preload script simply causes
the images to be cached. If it fails, the rollover still works, but
the images have to be loaded when the rollover is called.

In any case, I fixed this and it didn't make a difference.


Sorry, I didn't read your reply properly ;-)


Quite alright. I probably should have removed the red herrings before I
posted the original question ;)

stedae
Jul 20 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.