By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
440,496 Members | 1,527 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 440,496 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

IE won't run JS....

P: n/a

hi,

this is very annoying.. this is on IE7/Vista.. whenever I load a pg
with JavaScript on it IE refuses to run the JavaScript (I'm talking
about JavaScript written BY ME....;) and the weird thing is, the JS
will run fine if the page is ONLINE (for ex:
http://www.mayacove.com/index.html) but if this html page is on my
computer locally I get the yellow bar on top of the browser saying
browser won't run Active-X control... (I don't have any Active-X on this
page.. just a JavaScript test-alert..)

(I know this is more an IE question than a JS question, but I'm sure I
can find the answer here....;) (Vista group is not very friendly and
you have to deal w/lots of annoying comments...;)

thank you very much..

Aug 13 '08 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
16 Replies


P: n/a
maya wrote:
this is very annoying.. this is on IE7/Vista.. whenever I load a pg
with JavaScript on it IE refuses to run the JavaScript (I'm talking
about JavaScript written BY ME....;) and the weird thing is, the JS
will run fine if the page is ONLINE (for ex:
http://www.mayacove.com/index.html) but if this html page is on my
computer locally I get the yellow bar on top of the browser saying
browser won't run Active-X control... (I don't have any Active-X on this
page.. just a JavaScript test-alert..)

(I know this is more an IE question than a JS question, but I'm sure I
can find the answer here....;) (Vista group is not very friendly and
you have to deal w/lots of annoying comments...;)
IE uses different zones (internet zone, local intranet zone) and if you
go to Tools-Internet Options-Security, then you'll find where the
options are for whether or not script is allowed to run locally. The
risk they're helping you with, is that you downloaded a malicious script
without your knowledge and it's concerned for your safety. You can
either live with the warning (as I do when I run local pages), or change
the default setting to allow local intranet scripts to run.
Aug 13 '08 #2

P: n/a
Stevo wrote:
maya wrote:
>this is very annoying.. this is on IE7/Vista.. whenever I load a pg
with JavaScript on it IE refuses to run the JavaScript (I'm talking
about JavaScript written BY ME....;) and the weird thing is, the JS
will run fine if the page is ONLINE (for ex:
http://www.mayacove.com/index.html) but if this html page is on my
computer locally I get the yellow bar on top of the browser saying
browser won't run Active-X control... (I don't have any Active-X on
this page.. just a JavaScript test-alert..)

(I know this is more an IE question than a JS question, but I'm sure I
can find the answer here....;) (Vista group is not very friendly and
you have to deal w/lots of annoying comments...;)

IE uses different zones (internet zone, local intranet zone) and if you
go to Tools-Internet Options-Security, then you'll find where the
options are for whether or not script is allowed to run locally. The
risk they're helping you with, is that you downloaded a malicious script
without your knowledge and it's concerned for your safety. You can
either live with the warning (as I do when I run local pages), or change
the default setting to allow local intranet scripts to run.

thank you for your prompt response.. I switched to "local intranet" and
set security to LOW (since locally I run only pgs written by me it
should be ok..) but it's still doing the same thing (why does it say it
refuses to run "Active-X"????? all I have is an alert..)

thank you very much..
Aug 13 '08 #3

P: n/a
On Aug 13, 6:16 pm, Stevo wrote:
<snip>
... . You can either live with the warning (as I do
when I run local pages), or change the default setting
to allow local intranet scripts to run.
Another option is to run a local HTTP server and use that for local
development. The setup should not be beyond anyone who is developing
browser scripts (and if it is then they really should learn how) and
the resulting environment is more realistic in terms of what is
possible from public web pages.
Aug 13 '08 #4

P: n/a
On Aug 13, 6:28 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
Stevo wrote:
<snip>
>... , or change the default setting to allow local
intranet scripts to run.

thank you for your prompt response.. I switched to
"local intranet" and set security to LOW (since locally
I run only pgs written by me it should be ok..) but it's
still doing the same thing (why does it say it refuses
to run "Active-X"????? all I have is an alert..)
Local Intranet is not the security zone for the local computer, and
the local computer security zone is not in IE's configuration dialog.
If you must you can go into the registry and make the necessary
changes (if you can work out what to change and where to change it)
but Microsoft have not made it that difficult to change for no reason.

If you look at the status bar at the bottom of IE, to the right there
is a symbol and word combination that states the name of the security
zone (Internet, Local Intranet, etc.) the local computer zone is
called 'My Computer' usually (or by default).
Aug 13 '08 #5

P: n/a
Stevo <no@mail.invalidwrote:
You can
either live with the warning (as I do when I run local pages), or change
the default setting to allow local intranet scripts to run.
Or just apply the 'mark of the web' to your files. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...28(VS.85).aspx

Aug 13 '08 #6

P: n/a
Duncan Booth wrote:
Stevo <no@mail.invalidwrote:
>You can
either live with the warning (as I do when I run local pages), or change
the default setting to allow local intranet scripts to run.

Or just apply the 'mark of the web' to your files. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...28(VS.85).aspx
Thanks, I'd forgotten all about that. I remember using it for this exact
reason on a development I did for IE6 back in 2001 and then completely
forgot about it :-)
Aug 13 '08 #7

P: n/a
On Aug 13, 1:12*pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally
Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*

* Takes effect after you restart Internet Explorer

Regards, Gérard
--
141 bugs in Internet Explorer 8 beta 1
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/
164 bugs in Internet Explorer 7
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
Aug 15 '08 #8

P: n/a
GTalbot wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:12 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
>(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*
That is a good idea if you want to allow every application to do everything
on your computer, including those you "accidentally" run from attachments in
your e-mail app.

The default setting is there for a reason; setup a local Web server instead,
as already recommended several times.

BTW, your signature is borken.
PointedEars
--
Prototype.js was written by people who don't know javascript for people
who don't know javascript. People who don't know javascript are not
the best source of advice on designing systems that use javascript.
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f8*******************@news.demon.co.uk>
Aug 16 '08 #9

P: n/a
Henry wrote:
On Aug 13, 6:28 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
>Stevo wrote:
<snip>
>>... , or change the default setting to allow local
intranet scripts to run.
thank you for your prompt response.. I switched to
"local intranet" and set security to LOW (since locally
I run only pgs written by me it should be ok..) but it's
still doing the same thing (why does it say it refuses
to run "Active-X"????? all I have is an alert..)

Local Intranet is not the security zone for the local computer, and
the local computer security zone is not in IE's configuration dialog.
If you must you can go into the registry and make the necessary
changes (if you can work out what to change and where to change it)
but Microsoft have not made it that difficult to change for no reason.

If you look at the status bar at the bottom of IE, to the right there
is a symbol and word combination that states the name of the security
zone (Internet, Local Intranet, etc.) the local computer zone is
called 'My Computer' usually (or by default).
I have to go into the REGISTRY so I don't get that yellow bar at the top
of the browser every time I run a LOCAL html page that contains
JavaScript written BY ME???? oh brother...

for internet I have security at medium high, and for intranet at medium
low, and for all Active-X controls in "custom level" I set to
"enable"... still I get that yellow bar every time, then I have to
click on "allow content", then an alert appears, then I have to click ok
again, this EVERY TIME I run a local page.. I can't believe the only
way to fix this is to go into the registry (and with FF have no similar
problems..)
(btw, this is on IE7/Vista Ultimate..)

ok, either way, thank you for yr response..
Aug 20 '08 #10

P: n/a
GTalbot wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:12 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
>(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*
thank you.. this did it.. (still not 100% what Active-X is.. maybe
someone can explain it to me??? someone once told me they're MS's
version of Java Applets, but somehow I don't think that's it.. I know
Java Applets, I have even written some myself, but somehow I don't think
that's what this is..)

thank you very much....
>
* Takes effect after you restart Internet Explorer

Regards, Gérard
--
141 bugs in Internet Explorer 8 beta 1
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE8Bugs/
164 bugs in Internet Explorer 7
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/
Aug 20 '08 #11

P: n/a
maya wrote:
GTalbot wrote:
>On Aug 13, 1:12 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
>>(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally
Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*

thank you.. this did it.. (still not 100% what Active-X is.. maybe
someone can explain it to me??? [...]
Half-wits like you should be disconnected from the Internet (and probably
also be disallowed to use a computer) as what they are doing is harmful not
only to them but also to everyone else on it. You have been warned.
PointedEars
Aug 20 '08 #12

P: n/a
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
Half-wits like you should be disconnected from the Internet (and
probably also be disallowed to use a computer) as what they are doing
is harmful not only to them but also to everyone else on it. You
have been warned.
PointedEars
Half-wits like you should be disconnected from the Internet (and
probably also be disallowed to use a computer) as what they are doing
is harmful not only to them but also to everyone else on it. You
have been warned.
Aug 20 '08 #13

P: n/a
optimistx wrote:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>Half-wits like you should be disconnected from the Internet (and
probably also be disallowed to use a computer) as what they are doing
is harmful not only to them but also to everyone else on it. You
have been warned.
[...]

Half-wits like you should be disconnected from the Internet (and
probably also be disallowed to use a computer) as what they are doing
is harmful not only to them but also to everyone else on it. You
have been warned.
Try again.
PointedEars, f1
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
madness: XHTML 1.1 as application/xhtml+xml
-- Bjoern Hoehrmann
Aug 20 '08 #14

P: n/a
GTalbot wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:12 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
>(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*
this worked yesterday; but today, after turning my comp on again, it
again was set back to previous setting, had to go in and set again to
Allow active content to run in files on My Computer.. I hope I won't
have to do it every day..;) thank you very much....

Aug 20 '08 #15

P: n/a
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
maya wrote:
>GTalbot wrote:
>>On Aug 13, 1:12 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally
Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*
thank you.. this did it.. (still not 100% what Active-X is.. maybe
someone can explain it to me??? [...]

Half-wits like you should be disconnected from the Internet (and probably
also be disallowed to use a computer) as what they are doing is harmful not
only to them but also to everyone else on it. You have been warned.
PointedEars
thank you PointedEars, you comment has been very helpful..
(pls note, again, this problem occurs ONLY for pages I run locally
(i.e., that have been written by me..) not for pages on the web.. )

Aug 20 '08 #16

P: n/a
maya wrote:
GTalbot wrote:
>On Aug 13, 1:12 pm, maya <maya778...@yahoo.comwrote:
>>(...) IE refuses to run the JavaScript (...) on my
computer locally

Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab/Security section/Allow active
content to run in files on My Computer*

thank you.. this did it.. (still not 100% what Active-X is.. maybe
someone can explain it to me???
"active content" is not "ActiveX" (which doesn't have a hyphen). For a
while Microsoft was branding everything in sight with some sort of
"active" moniker, as part of their general inclination to confuse
issues and customers. (I think this peaked around 1998, with Active
Desktop. As opposed to, what, the passive desktop of my Etch-a-Sketch?)

In the context of this configuration item, "active content" is a
catch-all term for stuff that Microsoft considers potentially
dangerous: scripts, applets, etc. It's "active" in the sense that it
specifies a program to be run, rather than just marking up content for
rendering, as HTML does.

Since this option covers scripting, it allows or prohibits scripts
from running in IE, when they're loaded from the local computer.
someone once told me they're MS's
version of Java Applets, but somehow I don't think that's it.. I know
Java Applets, I have even written some myself, but somehow I don't think
that's what this is..)
ActiveX, which isn't relevant to your original question, is one of the
names for Microsoft's software component architecture - the
evolutionary line that includes COM, COM+, "Windows DNA", and so on.
For IE, ActiveX is indeed an architecture for applets, just like a
Java runtime embedded in a browser, except that it runs native code.

--
Michael Wojcik
Micro Focus
Rhetoric & Writing, Michigan State University
Aug 20 '08 #17

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.