By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
425,529 Members | 1,826 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 425,529 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Example produces infinite loop - my solution fails

P: n/a
Hi All,

I copied a script example from http://www.irt.org/script/640.htm into
a local .html file. I opened that file first in HTML-kit, which hung
(in an infinite loop, I think) when I previewed the example.

On the off chance that example exposed a weakness in HTML-Kit, I ran
the example in IE7, which also hung.

The example seems to start an infinite loop which the user should be
able to stop by clicking a button. I thought the problem might be
solved by adding a "start" button. I did that, as shown in the code
below. However, when I click the Start button, I get MegBox
announcing "Object doesn't support this action" with reference to the
button's defining source-code line. Any ideas?

My machine environment is shown beneath the example.

Thanks in Advance,
Richard

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
var running = true;
var timer;

function loop() {
while (running) timer = window.setTimeout('loop()',100) ; // loop
every 100 milliseconds
}

function stop() {
alert('stopping');
window.clearTimeout(timer);
running = false;
}
//--></SCRIPT>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<FORM>
<INPUT TYPE="BUTTON" VALUE="Stop" onClick="stop()">
</FORM>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"><!--
loop();
//--></SCRIPT>

</HTML>

Software: WinXP-Pro/SP2, Ruby 1.8.2-15, Rails 1.1.6,
Gem 0.9, MySQL 5.0.27-nt, SciTE 1.72, Nero Ultra 7.9.6.0,
FireFox 2.0.0.1, IE 7.0, OE 6.0, MS Office 2003 SP2,
Java JVM 1.5.0_11-b03, Apache Tomcat/5.5.12,
AVG-Free 7.5.430, Prevx1 2.0.2.23, Startup Cop Pro 2.03

Jul 1 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
19 Replies


P: n/a
Lee
Richard said:
>
Hi All,

I copied a script example from http://www.irt.org/script/640.htm into
a local .html file.
>function loop() {
while (running) timer = window.setTimeout('loop()',100) ; // loop
every 100 milliseconds
}
That doesn't loop every 100 milliseconds.
setTimeout() doesn't insert any sort of delay into your code.
It simply schedules something to happen after the specified
delay.

In this case, the loop spins as fast as it can, and on each
pass it schedules another instance of loop() to start after
1/10th of a second. You probably want something more like:

function loop() {
if (running) {
// do something useful, one would hope.
timer = setTimeout("loop()",100); // loop every 100 ms.
}
}
--

Jul 1 '07 #2

P: n/a
Lee
Richard said:
>
On Jun 30, 11:49 pm, RobG <r...@iinet.net.auwrote:
>Please don't top-post, reply below trimmed quotes.

What difference does it makes. I assume that one opens a posted
item, one wishes to read that item's content first and then,
possibly, look beneath the item to refer to preceding items.
It makes a big difference once a thread begins to grow.
If you had top-posted that last response, I wouldn't have been
able to trim the irrelevant lines as easily and if I had answered
you down here, it would have been really hard for the next person
who comes along (possibly with some very good advice) to figure
out what we're talking about.

Some people prefer top-posting, most seem to prefer bottom-posting.
The most important thing is that everybody stick to one convention or
the other, and in this newsgroup, the convention is to bottom-post.
--

Jul 3 '07 #3

P: n/a
In comp.lang.javascript message <11*********************@c77g2000hse.goo
glegroups.com>, Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:54:27, Richard <RichardDummyMailbox58
40*@USComputerGurus.composted:
>
>Please don't top-post, reply below trimmed quotes.

What difference does it makes. I assume that one opens a posted
item, one wishes to read that item's content first and then,
possibly, look beneath the item to refer to preceding items.

Then you are wrong. And don't over-quote either. Read the newsgroup
FAQ.

Please don't sign yourself just "Richard"; we already have one.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 6
news:comp.lang.javascript FAQ <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html>.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htmjscr maths, dates, sources.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
Jul 3 '07 #4

P: n/a
On Jul 3, 12:54 pm, Dr J R Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.ukwrote:
In comp.lang.javascript message <1183406067.497229.65...@c77g2000hse.goo
glegroups.com>, Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:54:27, Richard <RichardDummyMailbox58
4...@USComputerGurus.composted:
Please don't top-post, reply below trimmed quotes.
What difference does it makes. I assume that one opens a posted
item, one wishes to read that item's content first and then,
possibly, look beneath the item to refer to preceding items.

Then you are wrong. And don't over-quote either. Read the newsgroup
FAQ.

Please don't sign yourself just "Richard"; we already have one.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?...@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 6
news:comp.lang.javascript FAQ <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.html>.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htmjscr maths, dates, sources.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
>>What difference does it makes. I assume that one opens a posted
item, one wishes to read that item's content first and then,
possibly, look beneath the item to refer to preceding items.

Then you are wrong.
Well, it doesn't sound like I'm flat-out wrong if Lee is to be
believed. He says some newsgroups use the style I like. He says [it's
merely that] this newsgroup (and some others) have opted for the style
you advocate.
And don't over-quote either.
What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
>Please don't sign yourself just "Richard"; we already have one.
In my experience, newsgroups that care about unique "handles" have
declined to allow me to use a pre-existing handle when I subscribed.
This newsgroup declined to indicate that a subscriber "Richard"
existed, so this duplication doesn't seem to matter. Besides, with
thousands of subscribers, it appears to mre unlikely that the other
"Richard" and I will post to the same thread. Don't you agree?

Regards,
Richard
Jul 4 '07 #5

P: n/a
On Jul 2, 11:34 pm, Lee <REM0VElbspamt...@cox.netwrote:
Richard said:
On Jun 30, 11:49 pm, RobG <r...@iinet.net.auwrote:
Please don't top-post, reply below trimmed quotes.
What difference does it makes. I assume that one opens a posted
item, one wishes to read that item's content first and then,
possibly, look beneath the item to refer to preceding items.

It makes a big difference once a thread begins to grow.
If you had top-posted that last response, I wouldn't have been
able to trim the irrelevant lines as easily and if I had answered
you down here, it would have been really hard for the next person
who comes along (possibly with some very good advice) to figure
out what we're talking about.

Some people prefer top-posting, most seem to prefer bottom-posting.
The most important thing is that everybody stick to one convention or
the other, and in this newsgroup, the convention is to bottom-post.

--
OK, Thanks.

Jul 4 '07 #6

P: n/a
rf
"Richard" <Ri**********************@USComputerGurus.comwro te in message
news:11**********************@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
And don't over-quote either.

What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.
Besides, with
thousands of subscribers,
Nobody "subscribes" to this newsgroup. It's simply lying around waiting for
you to look at it. The fact that you drifted in here from the dreaded google
groups is irrelevant.
it appears to mre unlikely that the other
"Richard" and I will post to the same thread. Don't you agree?
Nope :-)

But IMHO you can call yourself what ever your want. Crikey, even use your
real name if you wish.

--
Richard.
Jul 4 '07 #7

P: n/a
On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
"Richard" <RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.comwro te in message

news:11**********************@q75g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
And don't over-quote either.
What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?

Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.
Besides, with
thousands of subscribers,

Nobody "subscribes" to this newsgroup. It's simply lying around waiting for
you to look at it. The fact that you drifted in here from the dreaded google
groups is irrelevant.
it appears to mre unlikely that the other
"Richard" and I will post to the same thread. Don't you agree?

Nope :-)

But IMHO you can call yourself what ever your want. Crikey, even use your
real name if you wish.

--
Richard.
Hi Richard,
>What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.
That makes sense. I asked because I didn't think I quoted excessively
in my previous posts.
Nobody "subscribes" to this newsgroup. It's simply lying around waiting for
you to look at it. The fact that you drifted in here from the dreaded
google
groups is irrelevant.

Well, it seems from the Google-Groups perspective, AFAIK, one must
subscribe to any newsgroups one wishes to post to. I used to access
visit newsgroups using Outlook Express, which I liked a lot. But I
find Google-Groups for a couple of things, particularly the I can flag
the threads I start and then see a list of all my "favorite" (i.e.,
flagged) threads in a single list, irrespective of the actual
newsgroups where they're posted. I find it to be an excellent tool.
But I'm not an evangelist: "to each his own" is my motto.
But IMHO you can call yourself what ever your want.
Thanks for that.

Best wishes,
Richard
Jul 4 '07 #8

P: n/a
rf

"Richard" <Ri**********************@USComputerGurus.comwro te in message
news:11**********************@o61g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
>>What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.

That makes sense. I asked because I didn't think I quoted excessively
in my previous posts.
Yet you mucked it up totally in this one. Please learn how to use google
groups properly or, preferably, abandon it.
Well, it seems from the Google-Groups perspective,
From this perspective google groups is a pain in the arse. An increasing
number of people have plonked the entire lot.
http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Go back to outlook express or some better newsreader.

--
Richard.
Jul 4 '07 #9

P: n/a
Lee wrote on 03 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
..., and in this newsgroup, the convention is to bottom-post.
It is not, Lee, sparce interunderposting is the convention here.

If the convention were bottomposting,
topposting would not be such a dreadful alternative
as it is now.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
Jul 4 '07 #10

P: n/a
On Jul 3, 11:08 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
"Richard" <RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.comwro te in message

news:11**********************@o61g2000hsh.googlegr oups.com...
On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
>What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.
That makes sense. I asked because I didn't think I quoted excessively
in my previous posts.

Yet you mucked it up totally in this one. Please learn how to use google
groups properly or, preferably, abandon it.
Well, it seems from the Google-Groups perspective,

From this perspective google groups is a pain in the arse. An increasing
number of people have plonked the entire lot.http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Go back to outlook express or some better newsreader.

--
Richard.
I read the BlinkyNet article you referenced. One person posted there
that Outlook Express was just as bad as GG. As a matter of fact, I
switched to GG because some person claimed that OE, which I was using
at the time, was so inferior to GG.

The main thrust of the article seems to be that GG facilitates amateur
access to UseNet and some (most?) of these amateurs post stupid
questions, perhaps fail to acknowledge responses and, above all
perhaps, fail to indicate whether proffered help proved useful.

I'm a retired computer consultant. I've started programming (on paper
for a computer at Princeton) in the Fifties. I started programming
professionally in the early Sixties. I've been using the 'Net
"forever" it seems and newsgroups for a decade(s?), receiving
invariably friendly and positive responses, barring a few exceptions
like this thread.

I mention this only because as a retiree, I can indulge myself in
following a wide number of interests, which leads me to visit a number
of newsgroups. GG facilitates that by allowing me to flag each post
so that I can get a display of all the threads I'm current involved
in, along with their status. Threads that receive new posts pop up to
the top of that list, facilitating prompt response on my part. Does
UseNet provide similar functionality?

You say "Yet you mucked it up totally in this one."

AFAIK, the only offenses I allegedly committed on this thread was top-
posting and excessive quoting. Yet in my previous post, I thought I
"bottom posted" and I quoted with ">" punctuation a minor fragment of
of your antecedent post. So what did I do to "muck it up totally".

Lastly, I'm not trying to start a "religious war." I'm merely trying
to see if you and I can have a meeting of the minds.

Best wishes,
Richard

Jul 4 '07 #11

P: n/a
On Jul 4, 4:04 am, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...@interxnl.netwrote:
Lee wrote on 03 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
..., and in this newsgroup, the convention is to bottom-post.

It is not, Lee, sparce interunderposting is the convention here.

If the convention were bottomposting,
topposting would not be such a dreadful alternative
as it is now.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
Hi Evertjan,

Is there an online write-up on this issue?
--
Richard

Jul 4 '07 #12

P: n/a
Richard wrote on 04 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
On Jul 4, 4:04 am, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...@interxnl.netwrote:
>Lee wrote on 03 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
..., and in this newsgroup, the convention is to bottom-post.

It is not, Lee, sparce interunderposting is the convention here.

If the convention were bottomposting,
topposting would not be such a dreadful alternative
as it is now.
[please do not quote signatures]
Is there an online write-up on this issue?
What is that 'an online write-up', Richard?

Do you mean a web page?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
Jul 4 '07 #13

P: n/a
On Jul 4, 1:13 pm, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...@interxnl.netwrote:
Richard wrote on 04 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
On Jul 4, 4:04 am, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...@interxnl.netwrote:
Lee wrote on 03 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
..., and in this newsgroup, the convention is to bottom-post.
It is not, Lee, sparce interunderposting is the convention here.
If the convention were bottomposting,
topposting would not be such a dreadful alternative
as it is now.

[please do not quote signatures]
Is there an online write-up on this issue?

What is that 'an online write-up', Richard?

Do you mean a web page?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
Hi Evertjan,
Is there an online write-up on this issue?
Yes. I Googled for "interunderposting" and got no hits.
[please do not quote signatures]
In my previous post, I "underposted," as advocated by several people
on this thread. That is, in Google Groups, I clicked the "More
options" link which Google supplies along with the content of your
post. In the resulting menu, I clicked the "Reply" link. That
opened a new message pane containing your message decorated with
leading ">" signs.

I added my response below the decorated text, expecting Google to
merely present a hyperlink to your message. As I see, GG did *not*
condense your message. Looking back, I see that if I underpost, then
GG does present a "- Show quoted text -" hyperlink which toggles the
content of the message to which I'm complying.

However, if I bottom post, then GG puts only a couple of lines after
my new content:

=== Example

On Jun 30, 10:47 pm, Lee <REM0VElbspamt...@cox.netwrote:

- Show quoted text -
=== End of example

A good example is the thread http://groups.google.com/group/DotNe...b79aa5d8bf8b1e
It shows that the growing thread is preserved with each subsequent
post. But that growing thread is unobtrusive, because it's
represented by an Ajax type link. Pretty neat, eh?

Hopefully, this post of mine will work that way, too. What do you
think?

Best wishes,
Richard
Jul 4 '07 #14

P: n/a
Sorry, Evertjan,

I meant to say I was responding "Yes." to the following line.
Do you mean a web page?
I trust you were not confused by my sloppiness, for which I
apologize.

Best wishes,
Richard

Jul 4 '07 #15

P: n/a
Richard wrote on 04 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
>Is there an online write-up on this issue?

Yes. I Googled for "interunderposting" and got no hits.
That could very well be as I just invented the word.

In fact I wanted to change "underposting" to "interposting",
and made the above mistake. ;-(

>[please do not quote signatures]

In my previous post, I "underposted," as advocated by several people
on this thread. That is, in Google Groups, I clicked the "More
options" link which Google supplies along with the content of your
post. In the resulting menu, I clicked the "Reply" link. That
opened a new message pane containing your message decorated with
leading ">" signs.

I added my response below the decorated text, expecting Google to
Sorry, I won't try Google groups ...
merely present a hyperlink to your message. As I see, GG did *not*
condense your message. Looking back, I see that if I underpost, then
GG does present a "- Show quoted text -" hyperlink which toggles the
content of the message to which I'm complying.
Google groups is NOT a good way to interact with usenet.

Use a dedicated news reader, usenet is twice as old as the web, and has
pro and cons that cannot be accomodated by a web interface as well as by
a dedicated news reader on a news server.

However, if I bottom post, then GG puts only a couple of lines after
my new content:

=== Example

On Jun 30, 10:47 pm, Lee <REM0VElbspamt...@cox.netwrote:

- Show quoted text -
=== End of example

A good example is the thread
Sorry, I won't try Google groups ...
http://groups.google.com/group/DotNe...rm/thread/80b7
9aa5d8bf8b1e It shows that the growing thread is preserved with each
subsequent post. But that growing thread is unobtrusive, because
it's represented by an Ajax type link. Pretty neat, eh?
Sorry, I won't try Google groups, it gives me headaches, the only thing
that is good about gg, is the usenet archive function gg has taken over
from deja news some years ago.

Using GG you get into the habits of thinking a NG is used by the mayority
in that perverted way, which luckily it is not.
Hopefully, this post of mine will work that way, too. What do you
think?
So the best advice is: Do not use Google groups if you want to use usenet
on a regular base.
--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Please change the x'es to dots in my emailaddress)
Jul 4 '07 #16

P: n/a
Richard wrote:
Sorry, Evertjan,

I meant to say I was responding "Yes." to the following line.
>Do you mean a web page?

I trust you were not confused by my sloppiness, for which I
apologize.
Are you deliberately taking the pi**? (That, or the suspicion of that,
will not be popular.)

In proper interleaved posting you would have quoted the line that came
before "Do you mean a web page" (with its set of indented quote
markers), then quoted that line, and then written "Yes." underneath.
Everyone who read that would have known the original statement, the
question asked about it, and the answer given (the response and all of
the relevant context for that response). We have good reasons for doing
things this way, and it is not at all difficult and it works well to
convey a conversational exchange on Usenet.

It has been at least a day since it was suggested, so have your read the
group's FAQ yet? (It is a web page.)

Richard.

Jul 4 '07 #17

P: n/a
In comp.lang.javascript message <11**********************@q75g2000hsh.go
oglegroups.com>, Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:50:59, Richard <RichardDummyMailbox5
84**@USComputerGurus.composted:
>On Jul 3, 12:54 pm, Dr J R Stockton <j...@merlyn.demon.co.ukwrote:
>Then you are wrong. And don't over-quote either. Read the newsgroup
FAQ.

Please don't sign yourself just "Richard"; we already have one.
>What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
As already advised, read the newsgroup FAQ. AIUI, you are old enough to
have learned that you don't know everything.
>>Please don't sign yourself just "Richard"; we already have one.

In my experience, newsgroups that care about unique "handles" have
declined to allow me to use a pre-existing handle when I subscribed.
This newsgroup declined to indicate that a subscriber "Richard"
existed, so this duplication doesn't seem to matter. Besides, with
thousands of subscribers, it appears to mre unlikely that the other
"Richard" and I will post to the same thread. Don't you agree?
No; he usually posts assiduously. He too, of course, should be using a
more indicative signature, for reasons in, IIRC, FYI28/RFC1855.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/- FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (SonOfRFC1036)
Do not Mail News to me. Before a reply, quote with ">" or "" (SonOfRFC1036)
Jul 4 '07 #18

P: n/a
Richard wrote:
On Jul 3, 11:08 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
>"Richard" <RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.comwro te in message

news:11**********************@o61g2000hsh.googleg roups.com...
>>On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.
That makes sense. I asked because I didn't think I quoted excessively
in my previous posts.
Yet you mucked it up totally in this one. Please learn how to use google
groups properly or, preferably, abandon it.
>>Well, it seems from the Google-Groups perspective,
From this perspective google groups is a pain in the arse. An increasing
number of people have plonked the entire lot.http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Go back to outlook express or some better newsreader.
Yeah, no matter what, you *need* to drop Google Groups. Outlook Express
in this case is better than nothing (GG).

<snipped signature>
I read the BlinkyNet article you referenced. One person posted there
that Outlook Express was just as bad as GG. As a matter of fact, I
switched to GG because some person claimed that OE, which I was using
at the time, was so inferior to GG.
That in itself is a religious war. I personally preferred Outlook
Express to Google Groups and used it quite religiously for years. There
is nothing wrong with it, unless you consider it not having a particular
feature a reason to abandon it entirely.

The only thing of real value is Blinky's site as the shark is a very
active and enthusiastic usenet activist.
The main thrust of the article seems to be that GG facilitates amateur
access to UseNet and some (most?) of these amateurs post stupid
questions, perhaps fail to acknowledge responses and, above all
perhaps, fail to indicate whether proffered help proved useful.
Um... exactly. See, again, what Richard (rf) said. Google Groups
allows a horde of non-regular members to come here and post utter
nonsense like the MI5 bastard (OK, that's not GG, but just as bad), or
random students asking, "How pop teh windoze, to make eazy my pictarz,
view?" which only bother the majority of "us."
I'm a retired computer consultant. I've started programming (on paper
for a computer at Princeton) in the Fifties. I started programming
professionally in the early Sixties. I've been using the 'Net
"forever" it seems and newsgroups for a decade(s?), receiving
invariably friendly and positive responses, barring a few exceptions
like this thread.
You'll do wise to remember that no one's opinion matters worth a crap in
this group. However, there are those that I personally find invaluable
and do respect their input.

What I am trying to say more clearly is that, don't get too hung up on
what others say (although the majority have been correct and posted sage
advice). Just figure out the rules and be done.

Point is, you need to go with the flow, that's all this comes down. So
learn the few little quirks of this group and *poof*, problems solved.
I mention this only because as a retiree, I can indulge myself in
following a wide number of interests, which leads me to visit a number
of newsgroups. GG facilitates that by allowing me to flag each post
so that I can get a display of all the threads I'm current involved
in, along with their status. Threads that receive new posts pop up to
the top of that list, facilitating prompt response on my part. Does
UseNet provide similar functionality?

You say "Yet you mucked it up totally in this one."

AFAIK, the only offenses I allegedly committed on this thread was top-
posting and excessive quoting. Yet in my previous post, I thought I
"bottom posted" and I quoted with ">" punctuation a minor fragment of
of your antecedent post. So what did I do to "muck it up totally".

Lastly, I'm not trying to start a "religious war." I'm merely trying
to see if you and I can have a meeting of the minds.
I am not even going to bother citing every mistake you have made in
regards to trimming quotes (which I for the most part do not subscribe
to, unless my response has *ABSOLUTELY* nothing to do with the rest),
bottom-posting, snipping signatures, snipping excessive or nonsensical
code, et cetera.

Instead, I invite you to go to a group like alt.test (unless someone can
suggest a better group for learning how to post properly), and start a
thread. If you do this, I will gladly interact with your post and show
you what to do or not to do.

However, you must first get a dedicated newsreader, in my opinion, for
this to be fruitful.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.
Jul 5 '07 #19

P: n/a
On Jul 5, 12:22 am, -Lost <maventheextrawo...@techie.comwrote:
Richard wrote:
On Jul 3, 11:08 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
"Richard" <RichardDummyMailbox58...@USComputerGurus.comwro te in message
>news:11**********************@o61g2000hsh.googleg roups.com...
>On Jul 3, 9:21 pm, "rf" <r...@invalid.comwrote:
What does "over-quote" mean in the context of my submissions?
Get rid of the stuff that does not concern your post. Like I just did.
That makes sense. I asked because I didn't think I quoted excessively
in my previous posts.
Yet you mucked it up totally in this one. Please learn how to use google
groups properly or, preferably, abandon it.
>Well, it seems from the Google-Groups perspective,
From this perspective google groups is a pain in the arse. An increasing
number of people have plonked the entire lot.http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
Go back to outlook express or some better newsreader.

Yeah, no matter what, you *need* to drop Google Groups. Outlook Express
in this case is better than nothing (GG).

<snipped signature>
I read the BlinkyNet article you referenced. One person posted there
that Outlook Express was just as bad as GG. As a matter of fact, I
switched to GG because some person claimed that OE, which I was using
at the time, was so inferior to GG.

That in itself is a religious war. I personally preferred Outlook
Express to Google Groups and used it quite religiously for years. There
is nothing wrong with it, unless you consider it not having a particular
feature a reason to abandon it entirely.

The only thing of real value is Blinky's site as the shark is a very
active and enthusiastic usenet activist.
The main thrust of the article seems to be that GG facilitates amateur
access to UseNet and some (most?) of these amateurs post stupid
questions, perhaps fail to acknowledge responses and, above all
perhaps, fail to indicate whether proffered help proved useful.

Um... exactly. See, again, what Richard (rf) said. Google Groups
allows a horde of non-regular members to come here and post utter
nonsense like the MI5 bastard (OK, that's not GG, but just as bad), or
random students asking, "How pop teh windoze, to make eazy my pictarz,
view?" which only bother the majority of "us."
I'm a retired computer consultant. I've started programming (on paper
for a computer at Princeton) in the Fifties. I started programming
professionally in the early Sixties. I've been using the 'Net
"forever" it seems and newsgroups for a decade(s?), receiving
invariably friendly and positive responses, barring a few exceptions
like this thread.

You'll do wise to remember that no one's opinion matters worth a crap in
this group. However, there are those that I personally find invaluable
and do respect their input.

What I am trying to say more clearly is that, don't get too hung up on
what others say (although the majority have been correct and posted sage
advice). Just figure out the rules and be done.

Point is, you need to go with the flow, that's all this comes down. So
learn the few little quirks of this group and *poof*, problems solved.
I mention this only because as a retiree, I can indulge myself in
following a wide number of interests, which leads me to visit a number
of newsgroups. GG facilitates that by allowing me to flag each post
so that I can get a display of all the threads I'm current involved
in, along with their status. Threads that receive new posts pop up to
the top of that list, facilitating prompt response on my part. Does
UseNet provide similar functionality?
You say "Yet you mucked it up totally in this one."
AFAIK, the only offenses I allegedly committed on this thread was top-
posting and excessive quoting. Yet in my previous post, I thought I
"bottom posted" and I quoted with ">" punctuation a minor fragment of
of your antecedent post. So what did I do to "muck it up totally".
Lastly, I'm not trying to start a "religious war." I'm merely trying
to see if you and I can have a meeting of the minds.

I am not even going to bother citing every mistake you have made in
regards to trimming quotes (which I for the most part do not subscribe
to, unless my response has *ABSOLUTELY* nothing to do with the rest),
bottom-posting, snipping signatures, snipping excessive or nonsensical
code, et cetera.

Instead, I invite you to go to a group like alt.test (unless someone can
suggest a better group for learning how to post properly), and start a
thread. If you do this, I will gladly interact with your post and show
you what to do or not to do.

However, you must first get a dedicated newsreader, in my opinion, for
this to be fruitful.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.
Hi Lost,

Thanks for your offer, but Google Groups offers me something no
dedicated Newsreader does: it automatically gives me a list of all
the threads I've flagged is "interesting", sorted from most-recently-
updated to least, all regardless of newsgroup.

I tend to be interested in several topics which are hosted in
different newsgroups. My topics de jure fluctuate over time. GG helps
me to reply promptly to responses to any of them.

I've been on perhaps two dozen newsgroups since I started using GG
instead of OE. This is the first NG that's gotten bent out of shape
about my posts.

I accept that people have strong opinions about a lot of stuff. Some
have said they ignore any posts from people whose address indicates
they posted from GG. I accept that. Giving up GG is too high a price
for me to gain their acceptance.

Again, I appreciate the spirit of your offer. I respectfully decline.

Best wishes,
Richard

Jul 8 '07 #20

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.