By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
448,784 Members | 1,248 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 448,784 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?

P: n/a
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the collection of objects provided by each browser.
Basically, any object in the window hierarchy is part of the
DOM. This means that document.writeln(), for example, is not a
javascript method but is, in fact, a method provided by the DOM.
The DOM has been standardised by the World Wide Web Consortium
(W3C); however, like
all W3C standards, browser support is not yet complete. Most
cross-browser coding problems come from slightly different
implementations of the DOM in the differentbrowsers.
W3 DOM FAQ

http://www.w3.org/DOM/faq.html

The W3C has worked on three versions of the DOM to date. The
third version has not yet achieved the status of a
recommendation

http://www.w3.org/DOM/

===
Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their
goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to
the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

Dec 1 '06 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
In comp.lang.javascript message
<45***********************@news.sunsite.dk>, Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
FAQ server <ja********@dotinternet.bewrote:
>FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
^ javascript
>This is the collection of objects provided by each browser.
That is the browser DOM in its various implementations. Is there not
also a distinct DOM for Windows WSH javascript, and for server-side
javascript?
>Basically, any object in the window hierarchy is part of the
DOM. This means that document.writeln(), for example, is not a
javascript method but is, in fact, a method provided by the DOM.
The DOM has been standardised by the World Wide Web Consortium
^ javascript
>(W3C); however, like
XXXX as for
>all W3C standards, browser support is not yet complete. Most
cross-browser coding problems come from slightly different
implementations of the DOM in the differentbrowsers.
^

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20 ; WinXP.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/- FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
PAS EXE TXT ZIP via <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/00index.htm>
My DOS <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/batfiles.htm- also batprogs.htm.
Dec 2 '06 #2

P: n/a
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In comp.lang.javascript message
<45***********************@news.sunsite.dk>, Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
FAQ server <ja********@dotinternet.bewrote:
>>FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
^ javascript
Don't. A Document Object Model is _not_ tied to or said to be part of a
particular programming language, especially not to an ECMAScript
implementation (although that revelation came up [too] late at Netscape).

Vendors and specifications have provided the respective DOMs with language
bindings, including ECMAScript language binding (standardized for the W3C
DOM). The actual interfaces, however, are language-independent.
>This is the collection of objects provided by each browser.

That is the browser DOM in its various implementations. Is there not
also a distinct DOM for Windows WSH javascript, and for server-side
javascript?
As for the WSH, I would call that an AOM, Application Object Model, a kind
of API for accessing another API; not a DOM (where is the corresponding
_document_?).

Server-Side JavaScript certainly has an object model, but I don't know of
any DOM there (AFAIK there is only write()).

Server-Side JScript on top of ASP relies on the exposed interfaces (the
object model, but still not a DOM, if you will) of Microsoft Internet
Information Services (IIS) or a compatible framework.
PointedEars
--
This above all: To thine own self be true.
-- William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Dec 8 '06 #3

P: n/a
In comp.lang.javascript message <13****************@PointedEars.de>,
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 00:53:35, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Po*********@web.de>
wrote:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>In comp.lang.javascript message
<45***********************@news.sunsite.dk>, Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
FAQ server <ja********@dotinternet.bewrote:
>>>FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
^ javascript

Don't. A Document Object Model is _not_ tied to or said to be part of a
particular programming language, especially not to an ECMAScript
implementation (although that revelation came up [too] late at Netscape).
Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.

This is a Javascript newsgroup and we are discussing a Javascript FAQ;
the above, as modified, is therefore a reasonable *question*. The range
of applicability of the relevant DOM can be part of the *answer*.

As a matter of English usage (a topic which you do not know as well as
you think you do), the sort of answer you imply would need a question
such as "What is a document object model?". The form "What is the
document object model?" implies that there is exactly one DOM
*anywhere*; that there are No other DOMs in other fields. We cannot
validly assert that.

The above question should be given a reasonable answer; one which, while
factually accurate, is aimed at the typical FAQ reader. You are
manifestly not competent to write in the appropriate manner.

The amount of detail presently in this part of the FAQ is about right,
but it would be nice to have in addition a link evidently to a somewhat
longer, but introductory, description.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. REPLYyyww merlyn demon co uk Turnpike 6.05.
Web <URL:http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html-Timo Salmi: Usenet Q&A.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/news-use.htm: about usage of News.
No Encoding. Quotes precede replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Mail no News.
Dec 9 '06 #4

P: n/a
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
In comp.lang.javascript message <13****************@PointedEars.de>,
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 00:53:35, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Po*********@web.de>
wrote:
>>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>>In comp.lang.javascript message
<45***********************@news.sunsite.dk>, Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
FAQ server <ja********@dotinternet.bewrote:

FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
^ javascript

Don't. A Document Object Model is _not_ tied to or said to be part of a
particular programming language, especially not to an ECMAScript
implementation (although that revelation came up [too] late at Netscape).

Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.

This is a Javascript newsgroup and we are discussing a Javascript FAQ;
the above, as modified, is therefore a reasonable *question*. The range
of applicability of the relevant DOM can be part of the *answer*.
If you obnoxious racist fool would have read and understood what I have
written, you would have noted that I merely objected to the term
"javascript document object model" you suggested; which is simply wrong
as any known DOM is designed language-independent. FOAD.
PointedEars
--
Let us not judge others because of their religion, color or nationality.
We are all just human beings living together on this planet. (poehoe.de)
Dec 9 '06 #5

P: n/a
In comp.lang.javascript message <39****************@PointedEars.de>,
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:21:08, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<Po*********@web.dewrote:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>In comp.lang.javascript message <13****************@PointedEars.de>,
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 00:53:35, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Po*********@web.de>
wrote:
>>>Dr J R Stockton wrote:

In comp.lang.javascript message
<45***********************@news.sunsite.dk>, Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
FAQ server <ja********@dotinternet.bewrote:

>FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
^ javascript

Don't. A Document Object Model is _not_ tied to or said to be part of a
particular programming language, especially not to an ECMAScript
implementation (although that revelation came up [too] late at Netscape).

Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.

This is a Javascript newsgroup and we are discussing a Javascript FAQ;
the above, as modified, is therefore a reasonable *question*. The range
of applicability of the relevant DOM can be part of the *answer*.

If you obnoxious racist fool would have read and understood what I have
written, you would have noted that I merely objected to the term
"javascript document object model" you suggested; which is simply wrong
as any known DOM is designed language-independent. FOAD.
Thank you for that public confirmation that you have retained your
previous nature; and that you are still unable to understand English.

The amended line is just the sort of thing that the sort of person that
the FAQ is intended for would ask; and it is right that it should be so.

Your attribution is still inadequate, and your signature is still
defective. Read FYI28 until you understand it.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ??*@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/- FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
In MS OE, choose Tools, Options, Send; select Plain Text for News and E-mail.
Don't quote more than is needed, and respond after each quoted part.
Dec 10 '06 #6

P: n/a
Dr J R Stockton said the following on 12/9/2006 6:44 PM:
In comp.lang.javascript message <13****************@PointedEars.de>,
Sat, 9 Dec 2006 00:53:35, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <Po*********@web.de>
wrote:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>>In comp.lang.javascript message
<45***********************@news.sunsite.dk>, Sat, 2 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
FAQ server <ja********@dotinternet.bewrote:

FAQ Topic - What is the document object model?
^ javascript

Don't. A Document Object Model is _not_ tied to or said to be part of a
particular programming language, especially not to an ECMAScript
implementation (although that revelation came up [too] late at Netscape).

Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.

This is a Javascript newsgroup and we are discussing a Javascript FAQ;
the above, as modified, is therefore a reasonable *question*. The range
of applicability of the relevant DOM can be part of the *answer*.

As a matter of English usage (a topic which you do not know as well as
you think you do), the sort of answer you imply would need a question
such as "What is a document object model?". The form "What is the
document object model?" implies that there is exactly one DOM
*anywhere*; that there are No other DOMs in other fields.
Actually, it doesn't. But I am not going to argue that issue with you.
But, your requested correction was for it to read "What is the
javascript document object model?" and that has two problems.

If your argument against the use of "the" is valid, then your proposed
rewording suffers that same problem. But that is a trivial over analysis
of the use of the word "the". The bigger issue is simple. Javascript
doesn't *have* a "Document Object Model". The DOM belongs to the browser
- independent of the script engine. The DOM exists without scripting,
the script engine just has access to read/modify it. So no, I am not
going to reword that question.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
Dec 13 '06 #7

P: n/a
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>
Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.
There is no need for that. Rather inappropriate and not funny at all.

Peter

Dec 13 '06 #8

P: n/a
Peter Michaux said the following on 12/13/2006 1:15 AM:
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.

There is no need for that. Rather inappropriate and not funny at all.
Peter, meet Thomas.....

At least we got 6 months of peace....

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
Dec 13 '06 #9

P: n/a
Peter Michaux wrote:
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>Don't be more of a silly Kraut than you have to be.

There is no need for that. Rather inappropriate and not funny at all.
He's a jingo who's been grumpy ever since the Public Order Act of 1937
stopped his games of dress-up. Just filter him out; there's no point in
expecting wisdom from these creatures.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres
Nourished the land on a fallacy of rational virtue."
-- Charles Williams. "Taliessin through Logres: Prelude"
Dec 14 '06 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.