470,604 Members | 2,226 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 470,604 developers. It's quick & easy.

Code not working in IE6

I have some javascript that has been working for a year - I have just
upgraded to IE6 and now its stopped working. The page consists of a parent
window containing some functions and an iframe with other functions. One of
the functions in the iframe calls a function in the parent window with
parent.functionname. IE6 fails with a JScript runtime error "Object doesnt
support this property or method". I have tried changing parent.functionname
to the more absolute addressing top.functionname but this doesnt work
either.

Has anyone else come across this? is it a bug or a new feature?

Steve
Sep 16 '05 #1
3 3936


Torch wrote:
I have some javascript that has been working for a year - I have just
upgraded to IE6 and now its stopped working. The page consists of a parent
window containing some functions and an iframe with other functions. One of
the functions in the iframe calls a function in the parent window with
parent.functionname. IE6 fails with a JScript runtime error "Object doesnt
support this property or method".


Windows XP Service Pack 2 introduced some fixes/changes for IE 6 that
might cause cross frame scripting to behave differently, see
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EGAA>
for Microsoft's description.

Your description above is too short to assess what is happening in your
case, post a URL where to error occurs and describe to us what has to be
done to trigger the error.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
Sep 16 '05 #2
Torch schrieb:
I have some javascript that has been working for a year - I have just
upgraded to IE6 and now its stopped working. The page consists of a parent
window containing some functions and an iframe with other functions. One of
the functions in the iframe calls a function in the parent window with
parent.functionname. IE6 fails with a JScript runtime error "Object doesnt
support this property or method". I have tried changing parent.functionname
to the more absolute addressing top.functionname but this doesnt work
either.

Has anyone else come across this? is it a bug or a new feature?


Depens on the view :=) AFAIK, the security settings have changed so frames can
only communicate with each other when on the same host. Maybe, it's a bug in
your script. Can you give an example?
Sep 16 '05 #3

"Martin Honnen" <ma*******@yahoo.de> wrote in message
news:43***********************@newsread4.arcor-online.net...


Torch wrote:
I have some javascript that has been working for a year - I have just
upgraded to IE6 and now its stopped working. The page consists of a
parent window containing some functions and an iframe with other
functions. One of the functions in the iframe calls a function in the
parent window with parent.functionname. IE6 fails with a JScript runtime
error "Object doesnt support this property or method".
Windows XP Service Pack 2 introduced some fixes/changes for IE 6 that
might cause cross frame scripting to behave differently, see
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#EGAA>
for Microsoft's description.

Your description above is too short to assess what is happening in your
case, post a URL where to error occurs and describe to us what has to be
done to trigger the error.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/


I cant give you access to page with the problem - the application currently
sits on a secure intranet - its a servlet based system that builds a
javascript webapp dynamically from a database spec on the server
The app builds browser windows consisting of some parent html with menu
functions etc and an iframe that shows a list of rows from a table - the
windows are linked so that as the user selects a record in one window -
other child windows refresh their table rows in their respective iframes
I have tried to strip the problem down to its core to show you but in doing
so have discovered that the error is actually caused by something else.
It seems that something is destroying the parent html so that when the
iframe function does the parent.parentfunc() call it no longer exists and IE
reports the Object doesnt
support this property or method". The reason I suspected IE6 is that the
app has been running for a year without problem. The problem appeared the
first time it was run after the upgrade to IE6. I will have to do some more
digging

Thanks
Steve

Sep 16 '05 #4

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.