By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
432,027 Members | 1,111 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 432,027 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Supressing "view source"

P: n/a
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?
Aug 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
18 Replies


P: n/a
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?

They can't, could be your PC temp files ...
Mick
Aug 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
Could be that the page was built by javascript alone...was it a popup
or a page that you opened from another page?

Aug 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?


A page? Its a lot easier to tell you how somebody did something if you
provide the URL to the page.

However, the answer is almost certainly that: They didn't.

Internet Explorer has a bug in which View Source doesn't work when the
browser cache is full. That is most likely that you have run into.

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
Aug 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
Lorem Ipsum said the following on 8/23/2005 2:43 PM:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?


No, you didn't find a page like that. You found a page where you didn't
know how to view the source, that's all. It is still there.

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
Aug 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
Ivo
"Donius" wrote
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?

Could be that the page was built by javascript alone...was it a popup
or a page that you opened from another page?


What is the sense in that? Every page has a source, also those in popups and
those built by javascript. As others said, when the cache is full, IE does
not have enough memory to reveal the source, although it is still there.
Sometimes F5 is enough to get the functionality back, other times the temp
files must be cleaned up to make room.
ivo
Aug 23 '05 #6

P: n/a
"Mick White" <mw***********@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Dh******************@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?

They can't, could be your PC temp files ...


:( You are right. Thanks so much. I needed a humbling today.
Aug 23 '05 #7

P: n/a
"David Dorward" <do*****@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:de*******************@news.demon.co.uk...
Internet Explorer has a bug in which View Source doesn't work when the
browser cache is full. That is most likely that you have run into.


That was it, David. Thanks to all for the reality check.
Aug 23 '05 #8

P: n/a
"Randy Webb" <Hi************@aol.com> wrote in message
news:TJ********************@comcast.com...
Lorem Ipsum said the following on 8/23/2005 2:43 PM:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?


No, you didn't find a page like that. You found a page where you didn't
know how to view the source, that's all. It is still there.


I can't imagine someone who doesn't know how to View Source. That makes no
sense at all. I just overlooked the cache situation. It's been a long day.

Aug 23 '05 #9

P: n/a
Lorem Ipsum wrote on 23 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
"Mick White" <mw***********@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?

They can't, could be your PC temp files ...


:( You are right. Thanks so much. I needed a humbling today.

However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done!

Try:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>

;-)

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)

Aug 24 '05 #10

P: n/a
Evertjan. said the following on 8/24/2005 4:09 AM:
Lorem Ipsum wrote on 23 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:

"Mick White" <mw***********@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
Lorem Ipsum wrote:
interesting! I just found a page in which Explorer's View Source does
nothing! How did they do that?

They can't, could be your PC temp files ...


:( You are right. Thanks so much. I needed a humbling today.


However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done!

Try:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>


That's because images do not have a source that humans can read.

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
Aug 24 '05 #11

P: n/a
Randy Webb wrote on 24 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done!

Try:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>


That's because images do not have a source that humans can read.


No it is not.

I can read it [and I suppose I am human],
though I do not understand it.

However,
perhaps it is because MS thinks like you, Randy,
that they switch of the specific menu item.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)

Aug 24 '05 #12

P: n/a
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:52:31 +0000, Evertjan. wrote:
Randy Webb wrote on 24 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done!

Try:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>


That's because images do not have a source that humans can read.


No it is not.

I can read it [and I suppose I am human], though I do not understand it.

However,
perhaps it is because MS thinks like you, Randy, that they switch of the
specific menu item.


I can view the source... it's a gif file... I can therefore download it
and manipulate it just like I can any other page source... just with an
image editor rather than a text editor.

--
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

Aug 24 '05 #13

P: n/a
Ivan Marsh <an*****@you.now> writes:
I can view the source... it's a gif file... I can therefore download it
and manipulate it just like I can any other page source... just with an
image editor rather than a text editor.


Let's try to distinguish between "source" and "anything that can be
looked at in some way". You use the term "page source" here, which an
image isn't. It's not a page at all. It's just a file (or, more
generally, an octet stream). Also, if you distinguish between an image
file (the "source") and how it is displayed, then an image editor is
not a source editor (like a text editor can be an HTML source editor).

Let's try to keep "source" in this setting as meaning "HTML code". It
will confuze a lot fewer that way :)

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lr*@hotpop.com
DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
Aug 24 '05 #14

P: n/a
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:15:09 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
Ivan Marsh <an*****@you.now> writes:
I can view the source... it's a gif file... I can therefore download it
and manipulate it just like I can any other page source... just with an
image editor rather than a text editor.
Let's try to distinguish between "source" and "anything that can be
looked at in some way".


By definition an image can be looked at.
You use the term "page source" here, which an image isn't.
The page source, if you want to nitpick, is a server-side ASP application
which, if server-side scripts can be viewed by the browser, means big
trouble for everyone.

"page source" when speaking of the browser means the source for the page
content being displayed. If the only object on the page is an image, I
very well can view the source of that page.
It's not a page at all. It's just a file (or, more generally, an octet
stream). Also, if you distinguish between an image file (the "source")
and how it is displayed, then an image editor is not a source editor
(like a text editor can be an HTML source editor).
Would you like me to modify the image and send it to you? I can do that
with an image editor or a hex editor, whichever you like (like a text
editor can be an HTML source editor).
Let's try to keep "source" in this setting as meaning "HTML code". It
will confuze a lot fewer that way :)


You obviously cannot view HTML code that doesn't exist. You also cannot
view server-side scripts in the browser.

Was your point to make no point? I'd think that might confuse a few
people.

--
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

Aug 24 '05 #15

P: n/a
I wrote:
However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done!
Try:
<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>
;-)


Ivan Marsh wrote on 24 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
Let's try to keep "source" in this setting as meaning "HTML code". It
will confuze a lot fewer that way :)


You obviously cannot view HTML code that doesn't exist. You also
cannot view server-side scripts in the browser.

Was your point to make no point? I'd think that might confuse a few
people.


You are missing my points:

1 I was showing [as stated] with

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>

that I could deactivate the menu>view>source function of IE.

2 I was joking as shown by the ";-)"

If joking confuses people, should we stop joking? I would not.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)

Aug 24 '05 #16

P: n/a
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:44:21 -0500, Ivan Marsh <an*****@you.now>
wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:52:31 +0000, Evertjan. wrote:
Randy Webb wrote on 24 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done!

Try:

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>

That's because images do not have a source that humans can read.


No it is not.

I can read it [and I suppose I am human], though I do not understand it.

However,
perhaps it is because MS thinks like you, Randy, that they switch of the
specific menu item.


I can view the source... it's a gif file... I can therefore download it
and manipulate it just like I can any other page source... just with an
image editor rather than a text editor.


Except View > Source in both Firefox 1.0.6 and Opera 8.02 open it in a
text editor, not an image editor, which is completely non-sensical and
requires the extra step of choosing File > Save As..., when you could
have right-clicked the image in the browser window and choosen Save
Picture As...

And do you reguarly obtain the binary copy of images loaded in your
Web browser by choosing View > Source, then File > Save As...?

This is nothing more than Microsoft-bashing at it's finest. Find
something another browser does which Internet Explorer does not do
that you think is incorrect behavior, then harp endlessly on that
feature.

There is almost no reason the average person would ever need to View >
Source an image resource. The resulting ASCII soup (opened by the
browser in a text editor as pointed out earlier) is entirely
unreadable by the average person, and those who are not average know
all the alternate ways of obtaining a binary copy of the downloaded
image.

It could be argued that IE lacks consistency, and that produces
confusion for the average person. I'd argue that it might be more
confusing to an average person to click View > Source and wonder why
the source of the page is "chinese". I might also argue that the
average person probably doesn't even know of the existance of the
ability to View > Source, let alone the results they should expect
from selecting those menu items.

--
Grant Wagner <sq*******@yahoo.com>
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Aug 24 '05 #17

P: n/a
On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 19:15:05 +0000, Evertjan. wrote:
I wrote:
However, switching off IE's menu>view>source can be done! Try:
<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp> ;-)


Ivan Marsh wrote on 24 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:


You also wrote:
Let's try to keep "source" in this setting as meaning "HTML code". It
will confuze a lot fewer that way :)


You obviously cannot view HTML code that doesn't exist. You also cannot
view server-side scripts in the browser.

Was your point to make no point? I'd think that might confuse a few
people.

You are missing my points:

1 I was showing [as stated] with

<http://devrijehuisarts.org/test/noViewSource.asp>

that I could deactivate the menu>view>source function of IE.

2 I was joking as shown by the ";-)"

If joking confuses people, should we stop joking? I would not.


Joking doesn't confuse me if that's what you're suggesting... perhaps you
should make it clear what you're joking about when you're joking. Contrary
to popular belief :) isn't a mind reading device.

I apologize if I didn't get it.

--
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

Aug 24 '05 #18

P: n/a
Ivan Marsh wrote on 24 aug 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
I apologize if I didn't get it.


Accepted, if so.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
(Replace all crosses with dots in my emailaddress)

Aug 24 '05 #19

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.