By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,903 Members | 1,922 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,903 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Cross-Domain scripting solution

P: n/a
CJD
Hello,

I want to create a server-side object that tracks the clicks of a user
while they do a task in a browser. The tasks would take place on
external web sites. Since there does not seem to be an all
incompassing solution to the javascript cross-domain scripting
permission problem, I am wondering if anyone has any server-side
ideas. The link below proposes to do this, but I can't figure out how.
Looking at their code, they are apparently doing something on the
server side, as the javascript in their pages is not tracking URLs.

(Remove spaces)
http : //surveys.rele vantview.com/demosu rvey.asp

Thanks for any ideas! Could use HTA's but that would limit to IE only.
Jul 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
CJD wrote:
I want to create a server-side object that tracks the clicks of a user
while they do a task in a browser. The tasks would take place on
external web sites.


Oh, you mean SPYWARE?

I think that only works client-side.

--
Philip Ronan
ph***********@virgin.net
(Please remove the "z"s if replying by email)
Jul 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
CJD wrote:
Hello,

I want to create a server-side object that tracks the clicks of a user
while they do a task in a browser. The tasks would take place on
external web sites. Since there does not seem to be an all
incompassing solution to the javascript cross-domain scripting
permission problem, I am wondering if anyone has any server-side
ideas. The link below proposes to do this, but I can't figure out how.
Looking at their code, they are apparently doing something on the
server side, as the javascript in their pages is not tracking URLs.

(Remove spaces)
http : //surveys.rele vantview.com/demosu rvey.asp

Thanks for any ideas! Could use HTA's but that would limit to IE only.


As clicks happen at the client side I doubt that you will find a server-side
solution to track them.

--
Markus
Jul 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
CJD
"Markus Ernst" <derernst@NO#SP#AMgmx.ch> wrote in message news:<41***********************@news.easynet.ch>.. .
As clicks happen at the client side I doubt that you will find a server-side
solution to track them.


That would seem logical, but the link below claims to be a server-side
solution and it's been baffling me as to how they are doing it. It's
got me stumped. Well, what would be the best client-side solution to
this problem in your opinions, considering the window will be in an
external domain?
Jul 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
si*******@yahoo.com (CJD) wrote in message news:<a3**************************@posting.google. com>...
Hello,

I want to create a server-side object that tracks the clicks of a user
while they do a task in a browser.
Write your own custom page to track clicks.
The tasks would take place on
external web sites. Since there does not seem to be an all
incompassing solution to the javascript cross-domain scripting
permission problem, I am wondering if anyone has any server-side
ideas. The link below proposes to do this, but I can't figure out how.
How is what you want to do a benefit to the user?

What is does is popup a window and ask questions about what is in the
other popup. On the pages where you click, it is a custom page written
my the folks doing the survey. The site switches between the survey
site and custom pages.
Looking at their code, they are apparently doing something on the
server side, as the javascript in their pages is not tracking URLs.

(Remove spaces)
http : //surveys.rele vantview.com/demosu rvey.asp

Thanks for any ideas! Could use HTA's but that would limit to IE only.


The site didn't work in Netscape 7.1.

I am glad that I use Netscape.

Robert
Jul 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
CJD
Robert) wrote:
Hello,

I want to create a server-side object that tracks the clicks of a user
while they do a task in a browser.


Write your own custom page to track clicks.
The tasks would take place on
external web sites. Since there does not seem to be an all
incompassing solution to the javascript cross-domain scripting
permission problem, I am wondering if anyone has any server-side
ideas. The link below proposes to do this, but I can't figure out how.


How is what you want to do a benefit to the user?

What is does is popup a window and ask questions about what is in the
other popup. On the pages where you click, it is a custom page written
my the folks doing the survey. The site switches between the survey
site and custom pages.
Looking at their code, they are apparently doing something on the
server side, as the javascript in their pages is not tracking URLs.

(Remove spaces)
http : //surveys.rele vantview.com/demosu rvey.asp

Thanks for any ideas! Could use HTA's but that would limit to IE only.


The site didn't work in Netscape 7.1.

I am glad that I use Netscape.

Robert


Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not quite clear on what you are
suggesting though. What I want to do is for web site owners to test
their website usefulness and navigation by having others use it. How
is the site above actually logging each page you visit in the larger,
non-question window (the window with the site being analyzed)??

I think it has something to do with the fact that it starts out as an
..htm page in their domain, and then redirects using javascript to the
site being tested.
Jul 23 '05 #6

P: n/a
CJD wrote:
"Markus Ernst" <derernst@NO#SP#AMgmx.ch> wrote in message
news:<41***********************@news.easynet.ch>.. .
As clicks happen at the client side I doubt that you will find a
server-side solution to track them.


That would seem logical, but the link below claims to be a server-side
solution and it's been baffling me as to how they are doing it. It's
got me stumped. Well, what would be the best client-side solution to
this problem in your opinions, considering the window will be in an
external domain?


I think you will have to add a javascript to the documents of the external
domain that on every click sends the cursor position to you. I don't know if
that is possible. Anyway IMO there is no possible solution without modifying
the pages you want to track (and I would quite hate the fact of being wrong
in this point...).

I think there are softwares for tracking user clicks, but you will have to
invite the test users to visit you and do the testing sitting at your box. I
know a company who does professional usability testing that way, they have
good coffee and always find test users.

--
Markus
Jul 23 '05 #7

P: n/a
si*******@yahoo.com (CJD) wrote in message news:<a3**************************@posting.google. com>...
Robert) wrote: Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not quite clear on what you are
suggesting though. What I want to do is for web site owners to test
their website usefulness and navigation by having others use it. How
is the site above actually logging each page you visit in the larger,
I did not look at the visited site code. The survey site doesn't have
access to the visited site usage. The survey site is creating an
illusion about the internaction

You need to check with a usability consultant. These sort of tests
are usually done in a usability lab. They usually record the test with
cameras.

In a test situation, you can install special software on the PC to
record all mouse clicks.
non-question window (the window with the site being analyzed)??

I think it has something to do with the fact that it starts out as an
.htm page in their domain, and then redirects using javascript to the
site being tested.

Yes, although redirect may not be what they are doing.

The survey site may be modified to assist with the testing.

I didn't look at the survey site in detail.

Page1
1) introduces you to the survey.
2) Open the survey window on your left

Left window
1) Displays the questions.
2) Opens the site window on the right.
I assume that no changes have been made to the survey site.
3) User answers question about site.
4) Left window submits information to its host.
5) Left window asks another of question on the site
6) Left window takes down the site window.
7) Left window opens new window that you can click on
New window is coded by survey site owner.
New windows is on survey site web site.
When user click on the new window, the new
window pass where user click on it back to
the left window.
New window closes itself.
8) Left window gets results and adds results to your question.
9) User complete question and left window passed this result to its
host.
10) left window continues with the above until all questions are
answered.

By intermixing site windows and survey site windows an illustion more
interaction can be created than there actually is.

You could copy survery site windows to you local site and change them.
Assuming you have the authority to do so.

Robert
Jul 23 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.