By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
459,299 Members | 1,247 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 459,299 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

AOL 9 and javascipt

P: n/a
I'm attempting to login to a website and I noticed that it uses
standard javascipt settings. For some reason, the code will not
activate and therefore I cannot login to the website. I unblocked the
website and enabled javascript. Any other ideas to aid my situation?
Thanks!

-kb
Jul 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
12 Replies


P: n/a
Stop using AOL. Get a real ISP. Last but not least use a real web
browser like IE or Netscape.

Karen Baron wrote:
I'm attempting to login to a website and I noticed that it uses
standard javascipt settings. For some reason, the code will not
activate and therefore I cannot login to the website. I unblocked the
website and enabled javascript. Any other ideas to aid my situation?
Thanks!

-kb


Jul 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:09:15 -0600, Joker <no*****@netzero.com> wrote:
Stop using AOL. Get a real ISP. Last but not least use a real web
browser like IE or Netscape.


IE isn't a real browser. It's operating system component that displays
browser-like qualities.

If you want to recommend something, propose a browser that is regularly
updated, that supports recent Web technologies, and isn't ridden with
security holes.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
Jul 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
"Michael Winter" <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> writes:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:09:15 -0600, Joker <no*****@netzero.com> wrote:
Stop using AOL. Get a real ISP. Last but not least use a real web
browser like IE or Netscape.
IE isn't a real browser. It's operating system component that displays
browser-like qualities.


IE is a real browser. Parts of it is also available for other uses
as a web-browser component, but that doesn't make it any less a
browser.

Now, it's not a very *good* browser (neither is Netscape 4, which also
had its day once). I would recommend getting not just a real browser,
but a good browser.

[evangelism]
Personally I prefer Opera, with Mozilla FireFox as the second choice.
[/evangelism]
If you want to recommend something, propose a browser that is
regularly updated, that supports recent Web technologies, and isn't
ridden with security holes.


So we agree :)
/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lr*@hotpop.com
DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
Jul 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:15:56 +0200, Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
<lr*@hotpop.com> wrote:
"Michael Winter" <M.******@blueyonder.co.invalid> writes:
[snip]
IE isn't a real browser. It's operating system component that displays
browser-like qualities.


IE is a real browser. Parts of it is also available for other uses as a
web-browser component, but that doesn't make it any less a browser.


I know. I should have marked that as flagrant Microsoft-bashing, but I
didn't think IE deserved that much effort.[1]
Now, it's not a very *good* browser (neither is Netscape 4, which also
had its day once). I would recommend getting not just a real browser,
but a good browser.

[evangelism]
Personally I prefer Opera, with Mozilla FireFox as the second choice.
[/evangelism]
If you want to recommend something, propose a browser that is
regularly updated, that supports recent Web technologies, and isn't
ridden with security holes.


So we agree :)


On all the above. :)

I only wish Opera made some improvements to M2. Hopefully with 7.60...

Mike
[1] In all seriousness, I should have. It reduces one's credibility to
make baseless statements, so I apologise. I still despise IE, though. :)

--
Michael Winter
Replace ".invalid" with ".uk" to reply by e-mail.
Jul 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
Joker wrote:
Stop using AOL. Get a real ISP.
If that is meant to imply that AOL is an ISP, then please get your facts
straight as it is *not* an ISP. It is a content provider.

Last but not least use a real web browser like IE or Netscape.


Strike 2. You imply that IE is a "real" web browser? I mean "real" as in
a decent one. Not something with more security holes than a sieve in a sink.

Strike 3. You mention Netscape, yet its a dead browser now. Its not
being developed any longer. But since you claim Netscape as your
defense, I assume you are not aware of who owns Netscape Corporation
now, no?

Please do not top-post, read the group FAQ with regards to that.

<--snip-->

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Jul 23 '05 #6

P: n/a
Karen Baron wrote:
I'm attempting to login to a website and I noticed that it uses
standard javascipt settings. For some reason, the code will not
activate and therefore I cannot login to the website. I unblocked the
website and enabled javascript. Any other ideas to aid my situation?
Which version of AOL is it though? 9 or 9 Optimized? Also, what OS and
IE version are you using? AOL doesn't have its "own" browser, it uses a
shell of IE as its internal browser. So, the underlying IE version will
have an impact on AOL.

If you are using AOL9 on Win98 with IE5, then AOL will use IE5 as a
shell, yet if you install that same AOL on WinXP with IE6 SP2, then it
will use the IE6 SP2 for its shell.

Also, what website is it that you can't get into?
Thanks!

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Jul 23 '05 #7

P: n/a


Randy Webb wrote:
Joker wrote:
Stop using AOL. Get a real ISP.

If that is meant to imply that AOL is an ISP, then please get your facts
straight as it is *not* an ISP. It is a content provider.


I'm not arguing that point I just despise the half baked way they partly
use IE & partly their own code for the AOL browser, was my point. I
also believe that the other ISP's provide a better service for what they
charge.
Last but not least use a real web browser like IE or Netscape.

Strike 2. You imply that IE is a "real" web browser? I mean "real" as in
a decent one. Not something with more security holes than a sieve in a
sink.


IE is based off of Mosaic which several other browsers are based off of
as I recall. Also Microsoft fixes the holes with patches just as other
browsers have security holes. Also Microsoft gets targeted because it
has both the most users & is the most known. So if Linux & FireFox
where the main OS & web browser they would be the target of every hacker
as well as many complaints that shouldn't even be made.
Strike 3. You mention Netscape, yet its a dead browser now. Its not
being developed any longer. But since you claim Netscape as your
defense, I assume you are not aware of who owns Netscape Corporation
now, no?
How is it a dead browser? They released 7.2 recently (I do know that
AOL owns netscape, but the browser is much better then the half baked
version that the AOL service pushes).
Please do not top-post, read the group FAQ with regards to that.

<--snip-->


Jul 23 '05 #8

P: n/a


Randy Webb wrote:
Karen Baron wrote:
I'm attempting to login to a website and I noticed that it uses
standard javascipt settings. For some reason, the code will not
activate and therefore I cannot login to the website. I unblocked the
website and enabled javascript. Any other ideas to aid my situation?

Which version of AOL is it though? 9 or 9 Optimized? Also, what OS and
IE version are you using? AOL doesn't have its "own" browser, it uses a
shell of IE as its internal browser. So, the underlying IE version will
have an impact on AOL.

If you are using AOL9 on Win98 with IE5, then AOL will use IE5 as a
shell, yet if you install that same AOL on WinXP with IE6 SP2, then it
will use the IE6 SP2 for its shell.


From my experience doing technical support AOL only partly uses the IE
dll files & partly skips on others. This is because they refuse to use
the standard 32-bit TCP/IP protocol that Windows comes with & insist on
using a 16-bit TCP/IP stack. If you want proof of this try publishing a
FrontPage 2002 web while connected to AOL. It will never work, but if
you have a regular Internet connection you will be able to because you
are no longer using the 16-bit TCP/IP stack that they insist on using.

You are correct in saying they don't have there own true browser but it
still isn't 100% IE because of several scripting limitations built into
the AOL browser.

One last thing some of the later versions of AOL (I think starting at
about 6.0 install new.net which is known to cause all sorts of TCP/IP
related issues as well as the WAOL caused an IPF in module kernel32.dll
error that AOL is known to flog customers over to Microsoft for even
though it is just that they installed software the is not compatible
with the AOL client.
Also, what website is it that you can't get into?
Thanks!



Jul 23 '05 #9

P: n/a
Joker wrote:


Randy Webb wrote:
Joker wrote:
Stop using AOL. Get a real ISP.


If that is meant to imply that AOL is an ISP, then please get your
facts straight as it is *not* an ISP. It is a content provider.

I'm not arguing that point I just despise the half baked way they partly
use IE & partly their own code for the AOL browser, was my point. I
also believe that the other ISP's provide a better service for what they
charge.


I agree with the half-baked. They ran Beta Tests with NS6 and AOL 7
together. It was decent, but slow. They are both bloated in that sense,
and when you run them together, geeez...
Last but not least use a real web browser like IE or Netscape.


Strike 2. You imply that IE is a "real" web browser? I mean "real" as
in a decent one. Not something with more security holes than a sieve
in a sink.

IE is based off of Mosaic which several other browsers are based off of
as I recall. Also Microsoft fixes the holes with patches just as other
browsers have security holes. Also Microsoft gets targeted because it
has both the most users & is the most known. So if Linux & FireFox
where the main OS & web browser they would be the target of every hacker
as well as many complaints that shouldn't even be made.


I agree, and that same analogy/comparison applies to AOL as well, does
it not?
Strike 3. You mention Netscape, yet its a dead browser now. Its not
being developed any longer. But since you claim Netscape as your
defense, I assume you are not aware of who owns Netscape Corporation
now, no?

How is it a dead browser? They released 7.2 recently (I do know that
AOL owns netscape, but the browser is much better then the half baked
version that the AOL service pushes).


Dead in the sense that its no longer being developed. AOL fired all the
developers. 7.2 was developed based on Mozilla, not on its own. Its
another "AOL Hack". But I still have my personal doubts as to the % of
"IE users" that everybody claims IE has, since the AOL browser falls
into most of those categories. Most stats don't differentiate between
AOL and IE, since they check the UA string for the string "Microsoft
Internet Explorer" or some variation of it.
--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Jul 23 '05 #10

P: n/a
Randy Webb <Hi************@aol.com> writes:
If that is meant to imply that AOL is an ISP, then please get your
facts straight as it is *not* an ISP. It is a content provider.


It is an ISP (they provide a connection to the internet). It is also a
content provider. You might not be able to buy the connection without
also paying for the content, but you sure do get the connection.
<URL:http://www.aol.com/whatis/index.adp>

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lr*@hotpop.com
DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
Jul 23 '05 #11

P: n/a
Randy Webb <Hi************@aol.com> writes:
Dead in the sense that its no longer being developed. AOL fired all
the developers. 7.2 was developed based on Mozilla, not on its
own.


That goes for all 7.x and 6.x versions of Netscape. The only
difference was that before, Netscape Corp. paid developers to
contribute to the Mozilla project.

Or, to turn it around, Netscape browser was never developed,
it just played catch up with the Mozilla Browser Suite :)

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lr*@hotpop.com
DHTML Death Colors: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/rasterTriangleDOM.html>
'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'
Jul 23 '05 #12

P: n/a
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
Randy Webb <Hi************@aol.com> writes:

If that is meant to imply that AOL is an ISP, then please get your
facts straight as it is *not* an ISP. It is a content provider.

It is an ISP (they provide a connection to the internet).


No, its primary purpose is content providing. Its secondary purpose is
an Internet Connection, not vice versa. AOL is, first and foremost, a
content provider.
It is also a content provider. You might not be able to buy the connection
without also paying for the content, but you sure do get the connection.


With AOL's connection features, that is debatable :)

But, you can get the content without the connection, and indeed, not
even be connected to the Internet. So how does an "Internet Service
Provider" get connected to without being connected to the Internet?

<URL:http://www.aol.com/whatis/index.adp>

And Microsoft's website portrays IE as the best browser on the market?

--
Randy
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Jul 23 '05 #13

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.