473,696 Members | 2,003 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

IE "Mark of the Web" cross-frame scripting?

A few months ago I posted a question about using a file on my hard
drive to perform cross-frame scripting and pull data from a server on
my company's intranet. I eventually got this working using an HTA file
and Internet Explorer.

Now I'm tackling a similar issue, but really need to keep the IE menus,
navigation buttons, etc. this time around. Assuming a solution exists,
I'm guessing it involves using the IE6 SP2 "Mark of the Web" feature.
Basically, I'm loading a local file that includes several
Javascript-powered buttons at the top, followed by an iframe that
claims the remaining 100% x 95% of the visible window and loads a page
from a web server on our intranet. The local HTML file includes a
"Mark of the Web" that matches this web server, and the server's domain
is stored at a "Trusted Site". So far, so good. The problem is that
when my script tries to access the page in the iframe, it doesn't
work...IE responds with an "Access is denied" error.

I haven't found very good documentation on the logic at work here, and
since I can't decide exactly where IE is getting hung-up, choosing a
next step is tricky. Is there some way around this? These company
PC's are partly locked-down, and as I'd also planned to give this HTML
file to coworkers, can't ask anybody to install new software or perform
major OS tweaks. Additionally, these PC's lack the real Windows XP
Service Pack 2, in favor of a mix of smaller updates and hotfixes, so
some of the new Internet Properties security features are missing
(assuming one might have helped).

I will keep experimenting and may eventually stumble on a solution as I
did previously, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. I think it's very
annoying that a file on my own hard drive can't simply do what it
wants. :-(

Thanks,

Todd

Jul 14 '06 #1
11 4278
Have you considered using a different approach such as automating an instance of IE using VB or VBA (eg. from excel?)

That typically does not suffer from the same restrictions as using javascript in another web page.
What type of process are you trying to automate in the "target" page ?

Tim

<ta******@minds pring.comwrote in message news:11******** *************@7 5g2000cwc.googl egroups.com...
>A few months ago I posted a question about using a file on my hard
drive to perform cross-frame scripting and pull data from a server on
my company's intranet. I eventually got this working using an HTA file
and Internet Explorer.

Now I'm tackling a similar issue, but really need to keep the IE menus,
navigation buttons, etc. this time around. Assuming a solution exists,
I'm guessing it involves using the IE6 SP2 "Mark of the Web" feature.
Basically, I'm loading a local file that includes several
Javascript-powered buttons at the top, followed by an iframe that
claims the remaining 100% x 95% of the visible window and loads a page
from a web server on our intranet. The local HTML file includes a
"Mark of the Web" that matches this web server, and the server's domain
is stored at a "Trusted Site". So far, so good. The problem is that
when my script tries to access the page in the iframe, it doesn't
work...IE responds with an "Access is denied" error.

I haven't found very good documentation on the logic at work here, and
since I can't decide exactly where IE is getting hung-up, choosing a
next step is tricky. Is there some way around this? These company
PC's are partly locked-down, and as I'd also planned to give this HTML
file to coworkers, can't ask anybody to install new software or perform
major OS tweaks. Additionally, these PC's lack the real Windows XP
Service Pack 2, in favor of a mix of smaller updates and hotfixes, so
some of the new Internet Properties security features are missing
(assuming one might have helped).

I will keep experimenting and may eventually stumble on a solution as I
did previously, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. I think it's very
annoying that a file on my own hard drive can't simply do what it
wants. :-(

Thanks,

Todd

Jul 15 '06 #2
Tim Williams wrote:
Have you considered using a different approach such as automating an instance of IE using VB or VBA (eg. from excel?)

That typically does not suffer from the same restrictions as using javascript in another web page.
What type of process are you trying to automate in the "target" page ?
I'd like to read information from the iframe (which for all intents
*is* the browser window, as it occupies all but the top 5% of available
space), roll it into an email message (Lotus Notes), and send it to a
defined individual. (Think of it like the "Send to a Friend" feature
you find on most news sites.) So "automating an instance of IE" won't
work, as it's got to be the IE window that's currently in use. I'm
open to straight VBA, though, if I can initiate it through a
navigation-style button or a free, user-configurable plugin bar at the
top of IE.

Hmm, is THAT even do-able?

Thanks for the quick reply, Tim!

Todd

Jul 15 '06 #3

ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
A few months ago I posted a question about using a file on my hard
drive to perform cross-frame scripting and pull data from a server on
my company's intranet. I eventually got this working using an HTA file
and Internet Explorer.

Now I'm tackling a similar issue, but really need to keep the IE menus,
navigation buttons, etc. this time around.
How many of the stock menus do you really need? If it's mostly
navigation and say, print, then I'd write an HTA mini-browser wrapper.
Something like the example in Figure 8 at:

http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0799/h...s/htmlapps.asp

Best, Kev

Jul 15 '06 #4
Kevin Darling wrote:
ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
Now I'm tackling a similar issue, but really need to keep the IE menus,
navigation buttons, etc. this time around.

How many of the stock menus do you really need? If it's mostly
navigation and say, print, then I'd write an HTA mini-browser wrapper.
Something like the example in Figure 8 at:

http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0799/h...s/htmlapps.asp
I had considered that, but given how many people still wrinkle their
noses at trying a different browser, I don't think a homemade approach
will go over well. The look/layout has to be highly familiar.

I've never found docs for it, but there is apparently a way for
third-party applications to make custom buttons in IE through the
registry, so short of any better ideas, I will start researching in
that direction. Hopefully it will support starting a VBA script.

Thanks,

Todd

Jul 17 '06 #5
TC

ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
Assuming a solution exists, I'm guessing it involves using
the IE6 SP2 "Mark of the Web" feature.
You guess wrong. MOTW does not, in and of itself, enable cross-site
scripting. It just causes your page to be executed wth the security
settings of the Internet zone, instread of the (higher) settings of the
Local zone. If your Internet zone settings do not allow cross-frame
scripting - and they normally wouldn't & shouldn't - your MOTW page
will not be able to do that either.

There's a "document.domai n" thing that might help. I'm not sure,
because I'm no expert on that, and I haven't read your whole post in
detail. Check it out, perhaps it would help.

HTH,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com
(Atspace is currently unreliable. Please be patient and/or try again
later.)

Jul 17 '06 #6
The only way that I see to avoid using an HTA is not to use frames. Since
one frame seems to merely consist of controls to control the other frame,
why not dynamically inject that code onto the other page at runtime, thereby
avoiding the frame problem altogether?

<ta******@minds pring.comwrote in message
news:11******** **************@ p79g2000cwp.goo glegroups.com.. .
: Kevin Darling wrote:
: ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
:
: Now I'm tackling a similar issue, but really need to keep the IE
menus,
: navigation buttons, etc. this time around.
: >
: How many of the stock menus do you really need? If it's mostly
: navigation and say, print, then I'd write an HTA mini-browser wrapper.
: Something like the example in Figure 8 at:
: >
: http://www.microsoft.com/mind/0799/h...s/htmlapps.asp
:
: I had considered that, but given how many people still wrinkle their
: noses at trying a different browser, I don't think a homemade approach
: will go over well. The look/layout has to be highly familiar.
:
: I've never found docs for it, but there is apparently a way for
: third-party applications to make custom buttons in IE through the
: registry, so short of any better ideas, I will start researching in
: that direction. Hopefully it will support starting a VBA script.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Todd
:
Jul 17 '06 #7

ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
I'd like to read information from the iframe (which for all intents
*is* the browser window, as it occupies all but the top 5% of available
space), roll it into an email message (Lotus Notes), and send it to a
defined individual. (Think of it like the "Send to a Friend" feature
you find on most news sites.) So "automating an instance of IE" won't
work, as it's got to be the IE window that's currently in use. I'm
open to straight VBA, though, if I can initiate it through a
navigation-style button or a free, user-configurable plugin bar at the
top of IE.
Okay, I'm going back to concentrate on your original request.

It sounds like you want this tool to be built-in to everyone's browser.
That means either a Link or a right-click menu (for IE, anyway).
Both are easy to do.

Do you have a tiny example of what you're trying to pick up from a
page, to put in that email? In other words, are you reading just the
text or a selected HTML section or ? If it's not complicated, then
a Link might work. Otherwise you'll need the right-click context
menu.

Kev

Jul 17 '06 #8
"document.domai n"

is set by the domain, e.g,
www.adobe.com/crossdomain.xml
xml.amazon.com/crossdomain.xml
www.yahoo.com/crossdomain.xml /stinking
hideout.com.br/crossdomain.xml
http://www.flash-db.com/crossdomain.xml

"TC" <gg************ *@spamgourmet.c omwrote in message
news:11******** *************@b 28g2000cwb.goog legroups.com...
>
ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
Assuming a solution exists, I'm guessing it involves using
the IE6 SP2 "Mark of the Web" feature.

You guess wrong. MOTW does not, in and of itself, enable cross-site
scripting. It just causes your page to be executed wth the security
settings of the Internet zone, instread of the (higher) settings of the
Local zone. If your Internet zone settings do not allow cross-frame
scripting - and they normally wouldn't & shouldn't - your MOTW page
will not be able to do that either.

There's a "document.domai n" thing that might help. I'm not sure,
because I'm no expert on that, and I haven't read your whole post in
detail. Check it out, perhaps it would help.

HTH,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com
(Atspace is currently unreliable. Please be patient and/or try again
later.)
Jul 19 '06 #9

Some idea of what is right and wrong would help,
in communications, like a protocol, wouldn't it.

http://www.luar.com.hk/flashbook/upload/crossdomain.xml
http://www.flash-db.com/crossdomain.xml
http://xml.amazon.com/crossdomain.xml


"asdf" <as**@asdf.comw rote in message
news:eq******** ******@TK2MSFTN GP04.phx.gbl...
"document.domai n"

is set by the domain, e.g,
www.adobe.com/crossdomain.xml
xml.amazon.com/crossdomain.xml
www.yahoo.com/crossdomain.xml /stinking
hideout.com.br/crossdomain.xml
http://www.flash-db.com/crossdomain.xml

"TC" <gg************ *@spamgourmet.c omwrote in message
news:11******** *************@b 28g2000cwb.goog legroups.com...

ta******@mindsp ring.com wrote:
Assuming a solution exists, I'm guessing it involves using
the IE6 SP2 "Mark of the Web" feature.
You guess wrong. MOTW does not, in and of itself, enable cross-site
scripting. It just causes your page to be executed wth the security
settings of the Internet zone, instread of the (higher) settings of the
Local zone. If your Internet zone settings do not allow cross-frame
scripting - and they normally wouldn't & shouldn't - your MOTW page
will not be able to do that either.

There's a "document.domai n" thing that might help. I'm not sure,
because I'm no expert on that, and I haven't read your whole post in
detail. Check it out, perhaps it would help.

HTH,
TC (MVP MSAccess)
http://tc2.atspace.com
(Atspace is currently unreliable. Please be patient and/or try again
later.)
Jul 19 '06 #10

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

8
3155
by: Bob Bonn | last post by:
Upon loading a page, I'd like a narrow image to rise up from the bottom of the screen, along the left-hand side, and then stop at a given point. I'd like to be able to choose the rate of ascent (because too fast would look awful, and too slow would be, well, too slow). After it reaches its destination, it wouldn't move again. I assumed there would be a javascript for this. However, I've searched all my favorite sites, but there...
2
2285
by: matt | last post by:
Hi all- I'm trying to port an ajax spell-checker (http://www.broken-notebook.com/spell_checker/index.php) to use with the moin moin wiki and have been somewhat successful. (By successful I mean I can spell check using the php backend and my python port running as cgi-bin). My question is this: moinmoin runs on many python web backends (cgi-bin/mod-python/twisted/standalone). My spell-checker backend runs
4
1690
by: Jack | last post by:
I finally discovered where all of the blue boxes in my IDE are coming from after, once again, accidently hitting "Mark All" in a Find in the Visual Studio.NET IDE. However, there is no "Unmark All". Does anyone know how to clear these?
289
1805
by: napi | last post by:
I think you would agree with me that a C compiler that directly produces Java Byte Code to be run on any JVM is something that is missing to software programmers so far. With such a tool one could stay with C and still be able to produce Java byte code for platform independent apps. Also, old programs (with some tweaking) could be re-compiled and ported to the JVM. We have been developing such a tool over the last 2 years and currently...
1
1557
by: Tom | last post by:
Hi, I am currently on a project where one site needs to send the user credentials to another site, through web services. Scenario: * "User 1" will authenticate to "Site A" using NTLM ("Site A" provides front-end presentation of data) * "Site A" will request confidential information about "User 1" to "Site B"
19
2860
by: FAQ server | last post by:
----------------------------------------------------------------------- FAQ Topic - I have <a href="javascript:somefunction()"what ... ? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Whatever the rest of your question, this is generally a very bad use of the javascript pseudo protocol. It was designed so that a function could return a new page. For example: `` javascript:"<p>Hello</p>" ''. Using it simply to...
3
6485
by: Daniel Mark | last post by:
Hello all: I am looking the sample code posted on PIL website http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/imagedraw.htm ################################################ <<Draw a Grey Cross Over an Image>> import Image, ImageDraw
21
7840
by: comp.lang.tcl | last post by:
set php {<? print_r("Hello World"); ?>} puts $php; # PRINTS OUT <? print_r("Hello World"); ?> puts When I try this within TCL I get the following error:
0
1152
by: toddwerts | last post by:
I have an aspx page with some form controls in it. They all work fine except for one thing, the control (list) that is populated based on the selected item in the first control (dropdownlist1) is only showing the element ID, not the "name" which I want. So, I think I just need a pretty simple join query to get the name property. I need to get the Capability name (capability_name) from the Capability Table where the capabilityid in the...
4
3092
by: lander | last post by:
I've read the page life cycle thing in msdn, still, i'm getting a bit confused of thinking how all the things are going under the hood... I know that when page loading, that the controls' properties is populated and when page unloading, the resources are cleared. What I want to know is what's happening behind it, that is, from the perspective of the asp.net implementor.....I'm not sure whether i've stated clearly, hope you get it.
0
8666
marktang
by: marktang | last post by:
ONU (Optical Network Unit) is one of the key components for providing high-speed Internet services. Its primary function is to act as an endpoint device located at the user's premises. However, people are often confused as to whether an ONU can Work As a Router. In this blog post, weíll explore What is ONU, What Is Router, ONU & Routerís main usage, and What is the difference between ONU and Router. Letís take a closer look ! Part I. Meaning of...
0
8597
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language synchronization. With a Microsoft account, language settings sync across devices. To prevent any complications,...
1
8880
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For most users, this new feature is actually very convenient. If you want to control the update process,...
0
8853
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the choice of these technologies. I'm particularly interested in Zigbee because I've heard it does some...
0
5857
by: conductexam | last post by:
I have .net C# application in which I am extracting data from word file and save it in database particularly. To store word all data as it is I am converting the whole word file firstly in HTML and then checking html paragraph one by one. At the time of converting from word file to html my equations which are in the word document file was convert into image. Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument.Select();...
0
4356
by: TSSRALBI | last post by:
Hello I'm a network technician in training and I need your help. I am currently learning how to create and manage the different types of VPNs and I have a question about LAN-to-LAN VPNs. The last exercise I practiced was to create a LAN-to-LAN VPN between two Pfsense firewalls, by using IPSEC protocols. I succeeded, with both firewalls in the same network. But I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same thing, with 2 Pfsense firewalls...
1
3033
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
2
2319
muto222
by: muto222 | last post by:
How can i add a mobile payment intergratation into php mysql website.
3
1992
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating effective websites that not only look great but also perform exceptionally well. In this comprehensive...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.