By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
432,510 Members | 1,810 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 432,510 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

getting resource information: battery level and more

P: n/a
Hi all ! :)

I am trying to find a way to return the battery level of a notebook or
laptop or any mobile device (but to make it simple a laptop would be
fine).
I am trying to do this because I'm building for a project a small part
of an interface for a computational grid that would accommodate in
adition to the usual devices, wireless ones too.
( So I'm trying to measure what a device will be able to offer to the
Grid ... the next step will be to measure what applications are
running on a device and so on. )
I am doing this with Java on two computers, a desktop PC with Windows
2000 and a laptop with Windows XP.
Although I have not entirely given up on Java yet, there is no command
to get me what I want so the only way to do it would be through Java
Native Interface. That is I will have to do it in C or C++.
I would be most grateful if you could suggest anyway at all to get the
battery level in Java, C or C++ or maybe using any J2ME or JINI
libraries.

Thanks !
Maria
Jul 17 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
Maria wrote:
Although I have not entirely given up on Java yet, there is no command
to get me what I want so the only way to do it would be through Java
Native Interface. That is I will have to do it in C or C++.
I would be most grateful if you could suggest anyway at all to get the
battery level in Java, C or C++ or maybe using any J2ME or JINI
libraries.

Thanks !
Maria

OT, you should ask in a OS-related newsgroup (btw, are u using Win or
Linux?)

--
#include <stdio.h>
#define p(s) printf(#s" endian")
int main(void){int v=1;0[(char*)&v]?p(Little):p(Big);return 0;}

Giannis Papadopoulos
http://dop.users.uth.gr/
University of Thessaly
Computer & Communications Engineering dept.
Jul 17 '05 #2

P: n/a
Thank you very very much for your reply!
I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
here since I am looking for the c command.
btw, are u using Win or
Linux?

I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
platform :).
What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
afraid.

Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
Maria
Jul 17 '05 #3

P: n/a
Maria wrote:
Thank you very very much for your reply!
I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
here since I am looking for the c command.

btw, are u using Win or
Linux?


I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
platform :).
What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
afraid.

Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
Maria


I got a lot of articles by using Google and the terms
"Windows" "API" "Battery".
--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite
C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
http://www.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c++/faq.html
Other sites:
http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book

Jul 17 '05 #4

P: n/a
Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
don't
know c .. I am only using Java... it's just the only solution I can thing of
right now.
Thank you for taking the time to reply really ...but please don't suggest
that I don't know how to search google.
Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
of .. before sending the post.
Sorry..
Maria
"Thomas Matthews" <Th****************************@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:K7*****************@newssvr31.news.prodigy.co m...
Maria wrote:
Thank you very very much for your reply!
I will post my message to a Windows related newsgroup. I have looked
at those newsgroups and they mostly have posts about operating system
problems instead of programming issues and this is what led me to post
here since I am looking for the c command.

btw, are u using Win or
Linux?


I am using a computer with Windows 2000 and one with XP , everything
I've done so far works perfectly well on both of them.
Also I do know the command that will do it for linux and it is
something like "cat /proc/apm" but the trick is to make it multi
platform :).
What I am planning is to check the environment variable for os name
and then act accordingly. So now it is down to the windows bit I am
afraid.

Thanks a lot for all your help anyway :) ,
Maria


I got a lot of articles by using Google and the terms
"Windows" "API" "Battery".
--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite
C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
http://www.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c++/faq.html
Other sites:
http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book

Jul 17 '05 #5

P: n/a
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:06:31 -0000, in comp.lang.c , "Maria Gaitani"
<M.*******@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
Thank you but I am not looking for a command that I can get from windows
API, I have that already ... I am looking for a method or procedure ... I
don't know c ..
C doesn't have methods or procedures, it only has functions. But more
importantly, when it comes to system-specific stuff like you want, you
have to use the native APIs, in your case windows or linux. So you
already have your answer.
Besides I don't think there is no harm in asking ... although I do admit I
should have added an "off topic" term in my subject, which I did not think
of .. before sending the post.


For your information, asking offtopic questions in Comp.lang.c and
comp.lang.c++ will get you a polite redirection (like you got) to
either google or a platform-specific group. If you continue to ask
offtopic questions, you will get much less polite answers. Adding
"offtopic" to the subject will not help.....

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html>
----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
Jul 17 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.