By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,652 Members | 1,337 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,652 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

IIS permissions issue with MS Access db

P: 1
I have IIS 5.1 installed on my PC with XP Pro SP2 o.s.
I have 4 websites successfully running. Three of them use MS Access and one uses SQL Server 2000 (MSDE) as the data source. They all are based on Classic ASP.

I am trying to create a new MS Access-based site. It is mirrored after my site that uses SQL Server 2000, but this new site will use Access. (NOTE: The original site used to use access before I converted it to SQL Server. There is code in my connection module that will either connect via Access or SQL Server based on the value of a variable).

So here's what I did:
1. Created a folder in my inetpub\wwwroot\ path for the new site.
2. Copied the code from the original site.
3. Modified the OLE DB connection string to deal with the new db path and
set the code to enable the Access connect string.
4. Created a new virtual site in IIS (just like all the other ones)

When I attempt to run the new site, I get an MS Access related error stating that (and I paraphrase) "The database is opened in exclusive mode by another user or you don't have the permissions to access it"

I checked the various security and permission properties in my other Access-based sites to see if there might be an anomoly but couldn't find any. In fact, it looks like I am setup identically to the way the other sites are setup.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? Is there a foolproof checklist that you can follow when creating new virtual sites off of the default site?

I started thinking that I might have to use SQL Server in the new site, but that will require a lot of work so I really want to make it work with Access if at all possible.


Thanks in advance,
Paul
Nov 19 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
1 Reply


kenobewan
Expert 2.5K+
P: 4,871
I assume that this a .net site and that you need to do two things:

1. Ensure aspnet and user have the appropriate folder permissions.
2. Set impersonate to true.

If your app is not .net then we may require more info:

When you open a Jet ("Access") database, a file with the same name as the
MDB file is created, but with extension LDB. This is normal, and its
purpose is to keep track of who's in the database.

Whatever you are doing to open the database the first time is apparently
opening in in "exclusive" mode, which is why you get that message. But, the
LDB file is not the source of the problem. It is still a permission problem.

I have only encountered this problem in asp.net.
Nov 20 '07 #2

Post your reply

Sign in to post your reply or Sign up for a free account.