By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
444,077 Members | 2,121 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 444,077 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Printing Cell Borders

P: n/a
I'm trying to print a tables' cell/row but when a cell/row is split
across 2 pages the cell bottom/top border doesn't print on either
page. Like this:
+--------+-----------------------------+
| | |

page break

| | |
+--------+-----------------------------+

What I would like is this:
+--------+-----------------------------+
| | |
+--------+-----------------------------+

page break

+--------+-----------------------------+
| | |
+--------+-----------------------------+

Does anybody know of the 'trick' to do this either in CSS or HTML
properties?
---------------------------------------------------------------
jn****@yourpantsbigpond.net.au : Remove your pants to reply
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
On 9/10/04 5:59 pm, Jeff North wrote:
I'm trying to print a tables' cell/row but when a cell/row is split
across 2 pages the cell bottom/top border doesn't print on either
page.


So you want borders to appear *inside* your TD elements? I don't think that
is possible.

However, in CSS2 you could try preventing page breaks inside TD elements by
adding

TD { page-break-inside: avoid }

to your stylesheet. But I have no idea how many browsers support this.

--
Philip Ronan
ph***********@virgin.net
(Please remove the "z"s if replying by email)
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Philip Ronan wrote:
TD { page-break-inside: avoid }
But I have no idea how many browsers support this.


Opera 5+. Pretty much nothing else.
http://www.westciv.com/style_master/.../printing.html

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:19:11 +0100, in
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets Philip Ronan
<ph***********@virgin.net> wrote:
| On 9/10/04 5:59 pm, Jeff North wrote:
|
| > I'm trying to print a tables' cell/row but when a cell/row is split
| > across 2 pages the cell bottom/top border doesn't print on either
| > page.
|
| So you want borders to appear *inside* your TD elements? I don't think that
| is possible.
|
| However, in CSS2 you could try preventing page breaks inside TD elements by
| adding
|
| TD { page-break-inside: avoid }
|
| to your stylesheet. But I have no idea how many browsers support this.


Thanks for the reply.
I tried that but some of the cells are quite large. This means that a
page can appear almost empty because the next cell/row might be one or
two lines too long for the current page.

---------------------------------------------------------------
jn****@yourpantsbigpond.net.au : Remove your pants to reply
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
So what solution is there for IE coding?

"Toby Inkster" <us**********@tobyinkster.co.uk> wrote in message
news:pa****************************@tobyinkster.co .uk...
Philip Ronan wrote:
TD { page-break-inside: avoid }
But I have no idea how many browsers support this.


Opera 5+. Pretty much nothing else.
http://www.westciv.com/style_master/.../printing.html

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

Jul 21 '05 #5

P: n/a
Terry Olson wrote:
So what solution is there for IE coding?


<!--[if IE]>
<p><a href="http://www.opera.com/">Get Opera</a>.</p>
<![endif]-->

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact

Jul 21 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.