468,120 Members | 1,959 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,120 developers. It's quick & easy.

Problem: Dynamically center layers on centered web page - IE + Firefox

Hi,

Hope no-one is offended by my probably noob question...

Context:
I have a web page design, which always centres in the middle of the
screen (using a 100%*100% HTML-table). Now I also use layers, that get
visible when something is clicked. All works fine.

Problem:
All works fine... Except when chancing screen resolution or when
resizing the browser window :( I need the layers to stay centered on the
centered HTML-table, when resizing the web page or when a user uses a
different screen resolution.

Question:
Is it possible to dynamically center/reposition the layers I use, when a
user is resizing the web page or when a user uses a different screen
resolution..?

Many thanks for any help/advise/links,

Frederik, Amsterdam, Holland
Jul 20 '05 #1
8 10765
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:05:18 +0200, Freek te Water <f.*******@amc.uva.nl>
wrote:
Hi,

Hope no-one is offended by my probably noob question...

Context:
I have a web page design, which always centres in the middle of the
screen (using a 100%*100% HTML-table). Now I also use layers, that get
visible when something is clicked. All works fine.
I'll assume "layers" in this context means positioned or floated elements,
which is I believe a Dreamweaver term. Be aware the term "layers" is not
properly a CSS term, and can mean other things in different contexts.
Problem:
All works fine... Except when chancing screen resolution or when
resizing the browser window :( I need the layers to stay centered on the
centered HTML-table, when resizing the web page or when a user uses a
different screen resolution.

Question:
Is it possible to dynamically center/reposition the layers I use, when a
user is resizing the web page or when a user uses a different screen
resolution..?

Many thanks for any help/advise/links,

Frederik, Amsterdam, Holland


It might be possible, but first you need to provide a link for us!

Set up a test case which demonstrates the problem with as little detail as
you can. Post the URL here and we'll look it over.
Jul 20 '05 #2
Neal wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:05:18 +0200, Freek te Water
<f.*******@amc.uva.nl> wrote:
Hi,

Hope no-one is offended by my probably noob question...

Context:
I have a web page design, which always centres in the middle of the
screen (using a 100%*100% HTML-table). Now I also use layers, that get
visible when something is clicked. All works fine.

I'll assume "layers" in this context means positioned or floated
elements, which is I believe a Dreamweaver term. Be aware the term
"layers" is not properly a CSS term, and can mean other things in
different contexts.


You're right, I mean positioned or floating elements that
(D)HTML-editing programs like DreamWeaver call Layers.
Problem:
All works fine... Except when chancing screen resolution or when
resizing the browser window :( I need the layers to stay centered on
the centered HTML-table, when resizing the web page or when a user
uses a different screen resolution.

Question:
Is it possible to dynamically center/reposition the layers I use, when
a user is resizing the web page or when a user uses a different screen
resolution..?

Many thanks for any help/advise/links,

Frederik, Amsterdam, Holland

It might be possible, but first you need to provide a link for us!

Set up a test case which demonstrates the problem with as little detail
as you can. Post the URL here and we'll look it over.


Thanks, I've set it all up at this address:
http://www.isabelnabuurs.nl/try.htm
Jul 20 '05 #3
Els
Freek de Stoute wrote:
Neal wrote:

Freek te Water wrote:


Freek, mag jij van je moeder het water wel in?

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
Jul 20 '05 #4
Els wrote:


Freek, mag jij van je moeder het water wel in?


Ja, dat mag ik, echt..! Maar niet tegen m'n moeder zeggen ;)
Jul 20 '05 #5
Els
Freek de Stoute wrote:
Els wrote:
Freek, mag jij van je moeder het water wel in?


Ja, dat mag ik, echt..! Maar niet tegen m'n moeder zeggen ;)


<g>

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
Jul 20 '05 #6
Hi Neal & everyone here,

I would like to repeat my earlier question (Dynamically center
layers...), to avoid it getting lost in chitchat with Els :)...

Context:
I have a web page design, which always centres in the middle of the
screen (using a 100%*100% HTML-table). Now I also use *floating
elements*, that get visible after user interaction. So far no trouble.
Problem:
All works fine... Except when chancing screen resolution or when
resizing the browser window :( I need the layers to stay centered on
the centered HTML-table, when resizing the web page or when a user
uses a different screen resolution.

Question:
Is it possible to dynamically center/reposition the layers I use, when
a user is resizing the web page or when a user uses a different screen
resolution..?

Many thanks for any help/advise/links,

Frederik, Amsterdam, Holland

It might be possible, but first you need to provide a link for us!

Set up a test case which demonstrates the problem with as little detail
as you can. Post the URL here and we'll look it over.


Thanks, I've set it all up at this address:
http://www.isabelnabuurs.nl/try.htm
Jul 20 '05 #7
Els
Freek de Stoute wrote:
Hi Neal & everyone here,
Hi Freek ;-)
I would like to repeat my earlier question (Dynamically
center layers...), to avoid it getting lost in chitchat
with Els :)...
:-(

[problem centering table while on top of centered background]
Thanks, I've set it all up at this address:
http://www.isabelnabuurs.nl/try.htm


It's probably just me, but the page works, yet the stylesheet
(/isabel.css) is not where I'm trying to find it:
http://www.isabelnabuurs.nl/isabel.css
Am I missing something?

To see what you're doing wrong, I need to see the stylesheet.
Unless the stylesheet doesn't do anything...
.... copied the html to my local server... indeed, the
stylesheet reference is obsolete.
Okay...

Checking the html, I see it's a lot of JavaScript (which I
don't understand at all) and then a bunch of position:absolute
styles...

Sorry, but afaics this won't work.
You need to put that table *inside* the div that you are now
"laying it over" (hope that makes sense)

Position:absolute takes stuff out of the flow of the page.
You state for the LIVEthumbox:
position:absolute; left:319; top:100px;
That's where you put the pics. exactly 319 pixels from the
left side of the window, and 100px from the top.
You use Z-index to make them show in front of the page.
That page you make liquid.

This page just does what you tell it to. If the window gets
narrow, the page goes to the left, and the thumbnails stay
where you told them to stay: 319 pixels from the left.

Btw, great picture:
http://www.isabelnabuurs.nl/images/l...and/DeDijk.jpg

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
Now playing: The Scene - Geloof
Jul 20 '05 #8
Els wrote:

Sorry, but afaics this won't work.
You need to put that table *inside* the div that you are now
"laying it over" (hope that makes sense)

Position:absolute takes stuff out of the flow of the page.
You state for the LIVEthumbox:
position:absolute; left:319; top:100px;
That's where you put the pics. exactly 319 pixels from the
left side of the window, and 100px from the top.
You use Z-index to make them show in front of the page.
That page you make liquid.

This page just does what you tell it to. If the window gets
narrow, the page goes to the left, and the thumbnails stay
where you told them to stay: 319 pixels from the left.

Btw, great picture:
http://www.isabelnabuurs.nl/images/l...and/DeDijk.jpg


Great help, Els..!
It seems I have a lot to learn, but I understand your solution and will
work on it today. Will keep you posted if you don't mind.

Thanks again for your time and trouble,

Freek
Jul 20 '05 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

11 posts views Thread by Mark Schneider | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by ben.saur | last post: by
5 posts views Thread by althafexcel | last post: by
12 posts views Thread by sheldonlg | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.