By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,784 Members | 2,933 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,784 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Scrollable table widget with fixed header

P: n/a
Mel
is there such thing ? using CSS ?

thanks,
Mel
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:29:27 -0400, "Mel" <jm**@redolive.com> wrote:
is there such thing [as a scrollable table widget with a fixed header]? using CSS ?


You might enjoy some success with the following:

tbody {
max-height: 25em; /* Adjust to taste */
overflow: scroll;
}

then use thead, tfoot and tbody markup as normal.

Some browsers will probably do odd things, though.

Take care,
-Claire
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Mel wrote:
is there such thing ? using CSS ?

thanks,
Mel


W3C's CSS Test-Suite example using overflow:auto on tbody:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/...-OVERFLOW.html

To view as intended, use any Gecko based browser.
Opera and IE do not support overflow.

--
Gus

Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
Gus Richter wrote:
Mel wrote:
is there such thing ? using CSS ?

thanks,
Mel


W3C's CSS Test-Suite example using overflow:auto on tbody:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/...-OVERFLOW.html

To view as intended, use any Gecko based browser.
Opera and IE do not support overflow.


Opera doesn't support overflow in tables, it's fine elsewhere.

--
Matt
-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Matt wrote:
Gus Richter wrote:

Mel wrote:

is there such thing ? using CSS ?

thanks,
Mel


W3C's CSS Test-Suite example using overflow:auto on tbody:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/...-OVERFLOW.html

To view as intended, use any Gecko based browser.
Opera and IE do not support overflow.

Opera doesn't support overflow in tables, it's fine elsewhere.


I assume you're referring to IE6 (did not have opportunity to check
there) since IE5.5 does not support it.
In case of any interest, NC 4.x does not either, as well as not for tfoot.

--
Gus
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Gus Richter wrote:
Mel wrote:
is there such thing ? using CSS ?

thanks,
Mel


W3C's CSS Test-Suite example using overflow:auto on tbody:

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/...-OVERFLOW.html
To view as intended, use any Gecko based browser.
Opera and IE do not support overflow.


this has the problem with horizontal scrolling that the head and foot do
not stay in sync with the body. Anyone have a suggestion ?

--
Bill Drescher
william {at} TechServSys {dot} com
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
bill drescher wrote:
this has the problem with horizontal scrolling that the head and foot
do not stay in sync with the body. Anyone have a suggestion ?


I've simulated an Excel spreadsheet using 4 iframes in a square. Top left
and top right are static column headers with fixed-width columns. Bottom
left is column 1 data, and bottom right is all the other column data with
the same fixed-width column sizes. When a bottom frame is scrolled up or
down, it scrolls the other bottom frame to the same position. When the
bottom right is scrolled left or right, the top right is scrolled to the
same position.

It acts the same as Excel having frozen rows and columns, and it works
beautifully under IE. I've not tested it with other browsers, since this was
for an IE-only intranet app.

It's kind of a pain (especially having 4 pages - one for each iframe) but it
was the best solution I could come up with that would work in IE, since IE
doesn't like overflow:auto on TD's.

--
Matt Kruse
Javascript Toolbox: http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/
Jul 20 '05 #7

P: 1
I assume you're referring to IE6 (did not have opportunity to check there) since IE5.5 does not support it.
In case of any interest, NC 4.x does not either, as well as not for tfoot.
Gus
You still keep a copy of NC 4? Man this is so antique... I really HATE this piece of s**t.
Jul 4 '06 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.