By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,396 Members | 1,835 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,396 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Converting HTML tables to a CSS layout. Any Programs?

P: n/a
Heya,

I'm curious to know if there are any programs that convert HTML tables to a
CSS layout. I already have a good handle on CSS but I'm always on the
lookout for other ways of doing things. :-)

Cheers.
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
14 Replies


P: n/a
On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:51:27 -0400, Toronto Web Designer wrote:
Heya,


Heya.. Just 'cos you change the title,
does not make it a new post -
...'HTML to CSS conversion program?'

Please do not multi-post..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost>

[ OK sure, that link is to a Java FAQ, but
the principal is essentially the same, it
just says it 'nicer' than you are likely to
told here, ..or on c.i.w.a.sd ]

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Toronto Web Designer wrote:
Heya,

I'm curious to know if there are any programs that convert HTML tables to a
CSS layout. I already have a good handle on CSS but I'm always on the
lookout for other ways of doing things. :-)


Do not multipost. If there is such software, it is guarenteed to make
your pages worse.

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html

--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
I'm looking for work | Etsin työtä
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a

"Andrew Thompson" <Se********@www.invalid> wrote in message
news:1q******************************@40tude.net.. .
On Sun, 23 May 2004 19:51:27 -0400, Toronto Web Designer wrote:
Heya,
Heya.. Just 'cos you change the title,
does not make it a new post -

..'HTML to CSS conversion program?'

Please do not multi-post..
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#xpost> [ OK sure, that link is to a Java FAQ, but
the principal is essentially the same, it
just says it 'nicer' than you are likely to
told here, ..or on c.i.w.a.sd ]

Too many judgmental people I tell ya! lol I _incorrectly_ posted to the
other group (the two groups are right next to each other in my newsreader).
Wouldn't you say this group is more applicable than the other group? hmmmm.
:-) It WAS an honest mistake. Those happen, don't they?

As for cross posting, it's *suggested* that one cross post sparingly; it's
been said that up to five newsgroups, if applicable, is acceptable. Also,
unless it's in a newsgroups charter, one is not limited to only posting in
ONE newsgroup per original posting.

Now that you have finished tapping my wrists for perceived slights, do you
have a solution to my question?
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a

"Lauri Raittila" <la***@raittila.cjb.net> wrote in message
news:MP************************@news.individual.ne t...
Toronto Web Designer wrote:
Heya,

I'm curious to know if there are any programs that convert HTML tables to a CSS layout. I already have a good handle on CSS but I'm always on the
lookout for other ways of doing things. :-)


Do not multipost.


lol
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
On Mon, 24 May 2004 02:09:42 -0400, Toronto Web Designer wrote:
"Andrew Thompson" <Se********@www.invalid> wrote in message .... Now that you have finished tapping my wrists for perceived slights,
Working to increase the S/N ratio. :)
..do you
have a solution to my question?


Sure, stop wasting your time.

Rip the content straight out of the tables
and start fresh. You will find that once
you start working with CSS positioning,
you start thinking about page layout
differently. By the time you 'adapt' a
table based layout (poorly) to CSS, it is
slower than starting fresh (and less reliable).

HTH

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite
http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help
http://www.1point1C.org/ Science & Technology
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Toronto Web Designer wrote:
Heya,

I'm curious to know if there are any programs that convert HTML tables to a
CSS layout. I already have a good handle on CSS but I'm always on the
lookout for other ways of doing things. :-)

Sure. M+y Dreamweaver has this option, "Convert table to layers" and
vice versa. DW replaces each table cell with an absolutely positioned
DIV, writing the style rule into the DIV's style attribute. Anybody with
a good handle on CSS (that means you<g>) can do better than that.
Matthias

Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
"Toronto Web Designer" <to****************@yahoo.ca.invalid> wrote
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
I'm curious to know if there are any programs that convert HTML tables to a
CSS layout. I already have a good handle on CSS but I'm always on the
lookout for other ways of doing things. :-)


Here ya go:

http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
2.1 changes: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Jul 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
"Toronto Web Designer" <to****************@yahoo.ca.invalid> wrote
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
"Lauri Raittila" <la***@raittila.cjb.net> wrote in message
news:MP************************@news.individual.n et...
Do not multipost.


lol


Since you find the idea of courtesy amusing, I am sure we all know
how much help to give you with your queries.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
2.1 changes: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Jul 20 '05 #9

P: n/a

"Stan Brown" <th************@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:MP************************@news.odyssey.net.. .
"Toronto Web Designer" <to****************@yahoo.ca.invalid> wrote
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
"Lauri Raittila" <la***@raittila.cjb.net> wrote in message
news:MP************************@news.individual.n et...
Do not multipost.


lol


Since you find the idea of courtesy amusing, I am sure we all know
how much help to give you with your queries.


I wish you and others would stop judging so much. A simple lol could imply
A LOT. It's better to phrase your response in a way that might indicate
other possibilities. I don't think the idea of being courteous is amusing -
that's silly.

I'm quite polite, thank you very much. But my mother taught me that it was
important to question how I react to people whom were NOT polite or to
consider NOT sucking it up to someone's words that made no sense. That sort
of means that I respect myself as much as I can respect someone else, ya
know?! I am NOT a newbie but I'm open to learning new things and/or being
corrected. :-)

As for not helping me, well that could end up in two situations: a) I could
just change my name and write differenty :-) and/or b) I could just ignore
the people who only offer noise like a puffed up chicken. Your comment
sounds childish to me, that doesn't mean you are childish.

Bottom line, two posts are NOT considered a multposting in the sense that it
was implied. Also, it's OK for me to multipost. I'm laughing at the
judgemental silliness and the attempt to control me beyond standard
etiquette conventions, not that I think being courteous and polite is a
joke. But either way I'm polite because I want to be, not because I have to
be. One can't force people to behave in a certain way (unless there are
legal conventions that say otherwise), if we could - Usenet would be a much
safer place. Get my drift?

Now, I'm not going to argue reasons for my behaviour any further. If you or
anyone else has some more noise to add, I will ignore it and I wish you fun.
(grin)
Jul 20 '05 #10

P: n/a
Hi Matthias!

"Matthias Gutfeldt" <sa************@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:2h************@uni-berlin.de...
Toronto Web Designer wrote:
Heya,

I'm curious to know if there are any programs that convert HTML tables to a CSS layout. I already have a good handle on CSS but I'm always on the
lookout for other ways of doing things. :-)

Sure. M+y Dreamweaver has this option, "Convert table to layers" and
vice versa. DW replaces each table cell with an absolutely positioned
DIV, writing the style rule into the DIV's style attribute. Anybody with
a good handle on CSS (that means you<g>) can do better than that.


I feel like a dumba*** now! lol OK. I now remember using that feature
(modify -> convert -> tables to layers) in DW MX when I didn't know how to
code CSS but something must have gave me a bad impression because I didn't
go back to it.

I just tried that feature again on one of my old sites and the results were
not perfect. Anyway, even if we are using a WSYWYG (as you and many others
here will know) it's important to know how to code CSS by hand, just like
it's important to code HTML by hand.

Thank you Very Much!! Question answered. :-)
Jul 20 '05 #11

P: n/a

"Stan Brown" <th************@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

(snip of irrelevant passage)
Here ya go:

http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

Mr. Brown please learn to snip. And as a courtesy to the thread, it would
be *nice* if you changed the subject heading when not responding with
relevant words because it clouds the original post.

Here ya go:

"Avoid posting to multiple newsgroups.
Few things annoy Usenet readers as much as multiple copies of a posting
appearing in multiple newsgroups (called "spamming"). A posting that is
cross-posted (i.e. lists multiple newsgroups on the Newsgroups: header line)
to a few appropriate newsgroups is fine, but even with cross-posts,
restraint is advised."
source: http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...ing_style.html

Do not and avoid mean two different things!

Posting to one group and then realizing that it was the WRONG group - I
meant to send it to the CSS group - is NOT spamming! Furthermore, I only
had one newsgroup in the header of each post because of that MISTAKE, not
because I was trying to avoid appearing like a SPAMMER! lol

I considered apologizing for the INCORRECT cross-post but I didn't because I
thought it would ADD noise but instead we were faced with NOISE anyway. lol
In the end, I did nothing WRONG so I won't be apologizing for cross posting
to TWO relevant newsgroups (Even though one newsgroup was more relevant than
the other and even though the less relevant one was a mistake.). If you
have a preference for posting in ONE newsgroup (instead of two or more with
the same post), fine, but I'm NOT ignoring Usenet etiquette. And I believe
that my duplicate post doesn't warrant such noise.

Also, crack the whip elsewhere - your (and anyone else's) ignorance and
self-righteous speech is amusing at best. You are better to serve, Usenet
and this newsgroup, in other ways and to other people. Go get a badge or
something and then be useful.

As an aside:

"Never forget that the person on the other side is human.

Because your interaction is through a computer it is easy to forget that
there are people "out there." Situations arise in which emotions erupt into
a verbal free-for-all that can lead to hurt feelings. Please remember that
people all over the world are reading your words. Do not attack people if
you cannot persuade them with your presentation of the facts. If you are
upset at something or someone, wait until you have had a chance to calm down
and think about it. Try not to say anything to others you would not say to
them in person in a room full of people. "

This piece of etiquette is one of the most underused _don'ts_ mentioned on
Usenet.

I see a lot of people flipping off about cross-posting and spamming but why
doesn't anyone cite the inappropriateness of flaming and rude language. Ah,
this world IS beautiful. :-)
Jul 20 '05 #12

P: n/a
Just a few comments (on top to tease any pompous ass in the house)

Far out, sport. That's a long message just to point out that Stan
Brown is an old grouch.

"Toronto Web Designer" wrote:
"Stan Brown" <th************@fastmail.fm> wrote in message

(snip of irrelevant passage)
Here ya go:

http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

Mr. Brown please learn to snip. And as a courtesy to the thread, it would
be *nice* if you changed the subject heading when not responding with
relevant words because it clouds the original post.

Here ya go:

"Avoid posting to multiple newsgroups.
Few things annoy Usenet readers as much as multiple copies of a posting
appearing in multiple newsgroups (called "spamming"). A posting that is
cross-posted (i.e. lists multiple newsgroups on the Newsgroups: header line)
to a few appropriate newsgroups is fine, but even with cross-posts,
restraint is advised."
source: http://groups.google.com/googlegroup...ing_style.html

Do not and avoid mean two different things!

Posting to one group and then realizing that it was the WRONG group - I
meant to send it to the CSS group - is NOT spamming! Furthermore, I only
had one newsgroup in the header of each post because of that MISTAKE, not
because I was trying to avoid appearing like a SPAMMER! lol

I considered apologizing for the INCORRECT cross-post but I didn't because I
thought it would ADD noise but instead we were faced with NOISE anyway. lol
In the end, I did nothing WRONG so I won't be apologizing for cross posting
to TWO relevant newsgroups (Even though one newsgroup was more relevant than
the other and even though the less relevant one was a mistake.). If you
have a preference for posting in ONE newsgroup (instead of two or more with
the same post), fine, but I'm NOT ignoring Usenet etiquette. And I believe
that my duplicate post doesn't warrant such noise.

Also, crack the whip elsewhere - your (and anyone else's) ignorance and
self-righteous speech is amusing at best. You are better to serve, Usenet
and this newsgroup, in other ways and to other people. Go get a badge or
something and then be useful.

As an aside:

"Never forget that the person on the other side is human.

Because your interaction is through a computer it is easy to forget that
there are people "out there." Situations arise in which emotions erupt into
a verbal free-for-all that can lead to hurt feelings. Please remember that
people all over the world are reading your words. Do not attack people if
you cannot persuade them with your presentation of the facts. If you are
upset at something or someone, wait until you have had a chance to calm down
and think about it. Try not to say anything to others you would not say to
them in person in a room full of people. "

This piece of etiquette is one of the most underused _don'ts_ mentioned on
Usenet.

I see a lot of people flipping off about cross-posting and spamming but why
doesn't anyone cite the inappropriateness of flaming and rude language. Ah,
this world IS beautiful. :-)

Jul 20 '05 #13

P: n/a
"Toronto Web Designer" <to****************@yahoo.ca.invalid> wrote
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
Bottom line, two posts are NOT considered a multposting in the sense that it
was implied. Also, it's OK for me to multipost. I'm laughing at the
judgemental silliness and the attempt to control me beyond standard
etiquette conventions,


Not "control", teach. And evidently the attempt has failed since you
now state positively that you are allowed to multipost.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
validator: http://validator.w3.org/
CSS 2 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
2.1 changes: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html
validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
Jul 20 '05 #14

P: n/a
Stan Brown wrote:
"Toronto Web Designer" <to****************@yahoo.ca.invalid> wrote
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets:
Bottom line, two posts are NOT considered a multposting in the sense that it
was implied. Also, it's OK for me to multipost. I'm laughing at the
judgemental silliness and the attempt to control me beyond standard
etiquette conventions,

Not "control", teach. And evidently the attempt has failed since you
now state positively that you are allowed to multipost.


Where is it stated that one is not _allowed_ to multipost?

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.

Jul 20 '05 #15

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.