By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
426,060 Members | 1,906 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 426,060 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

how to remove frame border with mozilla?

P: n/a
Hi everyone, I'm new here...

I have a frameset header/contents. It's necessary to force the header's
scrollbar to be visible to preserve the alignment between the two frames
(see www.liceomichelangelo.it for details).

<frame src="header.html scrolling="Yes"> doesn't work with Mozilla (this
is a bug), so I caused the scrollbar to be present via css as follows:

body{overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical;}

and the scrollbar appears, but now there's also an extra space between
the two frames!
What can I do?

thanks in advance for any help
Roberto

Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
Quoth the raven named Roberto:
Hi everyone, I'm new here...

I have a frameset header/contents. It's necessary to force the header's
scrollbar to be visible to preserve the alignment between the two frames
(see www.liceomichelangelo.it for details).

<frame src="header.html scrolling="Yes"> doesn't work with Mozilla (this
is a bug), so I caused the scrollbar to be present via css as follows:

body{overflow: -moz-scrollbars-vertical;}

and the scrollbar appears, but now there's also an extra space between
the two frames!
What can I do?


Apparently, you need either Netscape or IE. I don't see your frames,
but instead see a malformed page looking for Flash and other uncommon
bits.

Why are you hiding this text?

<font face="Comic Sans MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="-1"
color="#EBE7D6">
Sito Web del Liceo Scientifico Michelangelo di Cagliari, ...

You say (per Babelfish): "I ask you excuse, but I do not have the
time to construct situated compatible with all browsers and working on
all the systems."

It is easier to construct pages for all browsers rather than trying to
sniff which one came calling.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Roberto wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here...
It seems so.
I have a frameset header/contents. It's necessary to force the header's
It's been pointed out often enough that "force" doesn't work on the
WWW...
scrollbar to be visible to preserve the alignment between the two frames
(see www.liceomichelangelo.it for details).
Ti chiedo scusa, ma non ho il tempo di costruire un sito compatibile
con tutti i browsers e funzionante su tutti i sistemi.

I think that says "our author doesn't support the WWW".
and the scrollbar appears, but now there's also an extra space between
the two frames!
What can I do?


I'd recommend to read the WWW authoring groups on Usenet for a while.
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
> It is easier to construct pages for all browsers rather than trying to
sniff which one came calling.


Yes, that's perfectly true. I apologize for the inconvenience, but the
browser-sniffer code was just intended to load the flash plugin-download
page correctly in case of use of mozilla, not to block the other browsers.
I didn't look at that code since for a long time and didn't realize the
fact that only explorer and mozilla browsers are admitted. So thank you
to have pointed out the problem.
Know I have deleted that stupid code, and you can see that the site was
intended to be cross-browser.

Roberto
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
DU
Roberto wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here...

I have a frameset header/contents. It's necessary to force the header's
scrollbar to be visible to preserve the alignment between the two frames
(see www.liceomichelangelo.it for details).


I'm sorry but that's not the correct and appropriate way to present your
real webpage problem. Here's how you could have done so:

{
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I am open minded and wish to solve a web page design
issue. I have created a frame-based design (along with table-based
design in a frame) to preserve a particular layout: pixel-perfect
vertical alignment is very important to me. I was wondering if there was
another way (preferably fully compliant with W3C web standards and
supported by recent browsers) to achieve my webpage goal (a particular
layout) without resorting to a frame hack and without the need for a
table-based design.

www.liceomichelangelo.it

thanks in advance for any help
Roberto
}

Now, that would have been very different post triggering different
responses.

Btw, you can workaround bug 44306
scrolling = yes not implemented: forced scrollbars don't show up
[behaves like scrolling="auto"][frames]
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44306
by declaring+setting the pseudo-class root for Mozilla. E.g.:
:root
{
overflow:scroll;
height:100%;
}

DU
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Roberto <de*********@despammed.com> wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here...

I have a frameset header/contents. It's necessary to force the header's
scrollbar to be visible to preserve the alignment between the two frames
(see www.liceomichelangelo.it for details).


I see it's also necessary to have Macromedia Flash to use your web
site. Why would you bar people who don't have Flash installed--or who
can't install it--from gaining any benefit from your site?

--
Harlan Messinger
Remove the first dot from my e-mail address.
Veuillez ôter le premier point de mon adresse de courriel.
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Dear Du,
first of all sorry if my english offended you, that wasn't my intention,
I haven't learned english very long and I'm not familiar with the
protocol on this side.
I'm sorry but that's not the correct and appropriate way to present your
real webpage problem. Here's how you could have done so:

{
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I am open minded and wish to
unfortunately I didn't express myself well and that I'm open minded
wasn't obvious. Infact I'm open minded, I'm also a curious person, and
I'm used to observe the W3C standards. However I don't think this is
relevant.

[...] solve a web page design issue. I have created a frame-based design (along with
table-based design in a frame) to preserve a particular layout:
pixel-perfect vertical alignment is very important to me. I was
wondering if there was another way (preferably fully compliant with W3C
web standards and supported by recent browsers) to achieve my webpage
goal (a particular layout) without resorting to a frame hack and without
the need for a table-based design.
thanks for the correction, that could be a template for the next time.
However the site is not intended to be out of W3C standards.
Btw, you can workaround bug 44306
scrolling = yes not implemented: forced scrollbars don't show up
[behaves like scrolling="auto"][frames]
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44306
by declaring+setting the pseudo-class root for Mozilla. E.g.:
:root
{
overflow:scroll;
height:100%;
}


thanks for your quick answer
Roberto

Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
> Why would you bar people who don't have Flash installed--or who
can't install it--from gaining any benefit from your site?


I used flash to avoid javascript. That's because in the past I had
problems in building javascript menus that are cross-browser

Jul 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
DU
Roberto wrote:
Dear Du,
first of all sorry if my english offended you,
No, your English did not offend me whatsoever.

that wasn't my intention, I haven't learned english very long and I'm not familiar with the
protocol on this side.

You have not broken any protocol or civility or anything. Maybe my post
sounded sarcastic but it was not the goal I was pursuing. In fact, what
you did is very very common in newsgroups. People post accurate
questions and often do not give the "entire picture" of the web page in
question. They assume their solution is correct and they request
assistance on HTML or CSS style or javascript on their solution when
their web page design has the real problem and is not addressed.
I'm sorry but that's not the correct and appropriate way to present
your real webpage problem. Here's how you could have done so:

{
Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I am open minded and wish to

unfortunately I didn't express myself well and that I'm open minded
wasn't obvious. Infact I'm open minded, I'm also a curious person, and
I'm used to observe the W3C standards. However I don't think this is
relevant.


Well, I think it was: W3C web standards will recommend to not use table
design to achieve a particular layout effect when the data is not
tabular data in the first place. You wanted scrollbars for both frames
for a particular layout issue; not because your upper frame needed to
scroll to reach clipped content. You use frames when there was no need
to have frames, really. That is what I wanted to underline.

Often, people seek help on the wrong issue.

DU
[...] solve a web page
design issue. I have created a frame-based design (along with
table-based design in a frame) to preserve a particular layout:
pixel-perfect vertical alignment is very important to me. I was
wondering if there was another way (preferably fully compliant with
W3C web standards and supported by recent browsers) to achieve my
webpage goal (a particular layout) without resorting to a frame hack
and without the need for a table-based design.

thanks for the correction, that could be a template for the next time.
However the site is not intended to be out of W3C standards.
Btw, you can workaround bug 44306
scrolling = yes not implemented: forced scrollbars don't show up
[behaves like scrolling="auto"][frames]
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44306
by declaring+setting the pseudo-class root for Mozilla. E.g.:
:root
{
overflow:scroll;
height:100%;
}

thanks for your quick answer
Roberto

Jul 20 '05 #9

P: n/a
DU <dr*******@hotWIPETHISmail.com> wrote:

[snipped irrelevant stuff]
Often, people seek help on the wrong issue.

DU
[...] solve a web page
design issue. I have created a frame-based design (along with
table-based design in a frame) to preserve a particular layout:
pixel-perfect vertical alignment is very important to me. I was
wondering if there was another way (preferably fully compliant with
W3C web standards and supported by recent browsers) to achieve my
webpage goal (a particular layout) without resorting to a frame hack
and without the need for a table-based design.

thanks for the correction, that could be a template for the next time.
However the site is not intended to be out of W3C standards.
Btw, you can workaround bug 44306
scrolling = yes not implemented: forced scrollbars don't show up
[behaves like scrolling="auto"][frames]
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44306
by declaring+setting the pseudo-class root for Mozilla. E.g.:
:root
{
overflow:scroll;
height:100%;
}

thanks for your quick answer
Roberto


While we're being self-righteous, "DU", could you learn to snip the
stuff you aren't replying to? Like all this that came after your
signature?

--
Karl Smith.
Jul 20 '05 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.