By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,868 Members | 1,991 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,868 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Body ends before end of browser window in IE

P: n/a
Hi,

I converted a page from messy html4 to xhtml and css and it works well
in all browsers exept IE6. The problem is, that for some reason the
colored background ends directly beneath the last displayed Element on
the page and before the end of the browser window. That only happens the
first time the page ist loaded. Everything is fine after a reload. I can
only reproduce the problem with a new IE window that hasn't displayed
the page before.

That really looks like an IE bug to me. Does anyone know how to fix
that? You can find the page at http://fzx.simszone.de (Of cause the
problem only occurs if the browser window is larger than the content of
the page. In this case that means that you need at least a resolution of
1280x1024 and a maximized window to reproduce it.)

Thanks
Jan Harder
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
Jan Harder wrote:
Hi,

I converted a page from messy html4 to xhtml and css and it works well
in all browsers exept IE6. The problem is, that for some reason the
colored background ends directly beneath the last displayed Element on
the page and before the end of the browser window. That only happens
the first time the page ist loaded. Everything is fine after a
reload. I can only reproduce the problem with a new IE window that
hasn't displayed the page before.

That really looks like an IE bug to me. Does anyone know how to fix
that? You can find the page at http://fzx.simszone.de (Of cause the
problem only occurs if the browser window is larger than the content
of the page. In this case that means that you need at least a
resolution of 1280x1024 and a maximized window to reproduce it.)


Yes, it does look like an IE 6 bug. No, I don't know how to fix it.

But ... have you looked at that page in IE 5? On W2000 at least, it is bad - I
would suggest unacceptably so.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.Barry.Pearson.name/photography/
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
http://www.ChildSupportAnalysis.co.uk/
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Barry Pearson wrote:
Yes, it does look like an IE 6 bug. No, I don't know how to fix it.

But ... have you looked at that page in IE 5? On W2000 at least, it is bad - I
would suggest unacceptably so.


Yes, actually I have a w2k machine with IE5.5 on my table to check how
it looks in ie5. And everything is fine there, looks just like in ie6.
Or are there differences between ie5 and ie5.5 I don't know about?

Jan
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
Jan Harder wrote:
Or are there differences between ie5 and ie5.5 I don't know about?

Jan


Yikes, there are 'some' as I see after downgrading to IE5. Thanks for
the hint.

Jan Harder
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:45:51 +0200, Jan Harder <ja*@simszone.de> wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote:
Yes, it does look like an IE 6 bug. No, I don't know how to fix it.

But ... have you looked at that page in IE 5? On W2000 at least, it is bad - I
would suggest unacceptably so.


Yes, actually I have a w2k machine with IE5.5 on my table to check how
it looks in ie5. And everything is fine there, looks just like in ie6.
Or are there differences between ie5 and ie5.5 I don't know about?


Yes, there are quite a few differences between 5.0 and 5.5. I'd have
thought this comes within the category of acceptable degrading in a
buggy browser, but see for yourself:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/misc/filezone-ie50.png

You might like to check the page in Opera 7 in full-screen mode though -
I suspect you're in for a surprise!

--
Stephen Poley

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Stephen Poley <sb******************@xs4all.nl> wrote:
You might like to check the page in Opera 7 in full-screen mode though -
I suspect you're in for a surprise!


I stopped catering for Opera's full screen mode recently on my sites,
the use of the projection type for their full screen mode makes no
sense.

--
Spartanicus
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Stephen Poley wrote:
Yes, there are quite a few differences between 5.0 and 5.5. I'd have
thought this comes within the category of acceptable degrading in a
buggy browser, but see for yourself:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/misc/filezone-ie50.png

You might like to check the page in Opera 7 in full-screen mode though -
I suspect you're in for a surprise!


Thank you for your hints. Seems like IE5.0 was confused because I used
the box model hack in a "wrong" way (if there is really a way to do
somthing like a hack wrong).

I used the keywords for font-sizes. And I had the rather stupid idea to
handle the different keyword-interpetation of the different IE-Versions
with something like this:

font-size: xx-small;
voice-family: "\"}\"";
voice-family:inherit;
font-size: x-small;

The site looked much better in IE 5.0 after removing this stuff.

Jan Harder
Jul 20 '05 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.