By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
437,738 Members | 1,080 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 437,738 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Problems in NS 6.1 & NS 4.71

P: n/a
Hi All,

I have a test page up at http://www.nfpn.org/test/ which is giving me
problems in Netscape 4.73 & 6.1.

*NS 4.73* - Problem: the page always scrolls off the screen to the right no
matter how large the screen. It looks to me like it extends to the right the
same distance as the left table column is wide.

*NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the blue
bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD, it
disappears.

All code is 100% XHTML 1.0 Transitional/CSS 2.0 compliant.

Do any of you have any ideas on what to try to fix either of these?

Thank you very much!

Ben Gribaudo
Webmaster, www.nfpn.org
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
7 Replies


P: n/a
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Ben Gribaudo wrote:
*NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the blue
bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD, it
disappears.


Well, that shouts "quirks versus conformance mode", doesn't it?
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Ben Gribaudo wrote:
Hi All,

I have a test page up at http://www.nfpn.org/test/ which is giving me
problems in Netscape 4.73 & 6.1. [snip] *NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the
blue bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD,
it disappears.

[snip]

Sorry. I can't see that line at all. This is on W2000, IE 5, IE 6, Firefox
0.8, Netscape 7.1, and Opera 7.23.

That may narrow down your problem, because I haven't got NS 6.1. As you say,
the XHTML & CSS validate at W3C.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.Barry.Pearson.name/photography/
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
http://www.ChildSupportAnalysis.co.uk/
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
Hi Barry,

Thanks for checking in all those browsers. I've checked it in several, as
well, and only NS 6.1 shows that line. Interesting...

Ben Gribaudo
"Barry Pearson" <ne**@childsupportanalysis.co.uk> wrote in message
news:79bZb.164$L9.142@newsfe1-win...
Ben Gribaudo wrote:
Hi All,

I have a test page up at http://www.nfpn.org/test/ which is giving me
problems in Netscape 4.73 & 6.1. [snip]
*NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the
blue bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD,
it disappears.

[snip]

Sorry. I can't see that line at all. This is on W2000, IE 5, IE 6, Firefox
0.8, Netscape 7.1, and Opera 7.23.

That may narrow down your problem, because I haven't got NS 6.1. As you

say, the XHTML & CSS validate at W3C.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.Barry.Pearson.name/photography/
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
http://www.ChildSupportAnalysis.co.uk/

Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Ben Gribaudo wrote:
Hi Barry,

Thanks for checking in all those browsers. I've checked it in
several, as well, and only NS 6.1 shows that line. Interesting...

[snip]

I'll resist the temptation to add NS 6.1 to my test-set of browsers! I have to
stop somewhere.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.Barry.Pearson.name/photography/
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/
http://www.ChildSupportAnalysis.co.uk/
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
Sure does! The question is: what to do about it. The thing that makes this
funny is how the problem only shows up in conformance mode, yet it doesn't
appear in any other browser it's been checked it.

Ben Gribaudo
www.bengribaudo.com

"Alan J. Flavell" <fl*****@ph.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:Pi*******************************@ppepc56.ph. gla.ac.uk...
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Ben Gribaudo wrote:
*NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the blue bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD, it
disappears.


Well, that shouts "quirks versus conformance mode", doesn't it?

Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
Ben Gribaudo wrote:
*NS 4.73* - Problem: the page always scrolls off the screen to the right no
matter how large the screen. It looks to me like it extends to the right the
same distance as the left table column is wide.

*NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the blue
bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD, it
disappears.

All code is 100% XHTML 1.0 Transitional/CSS 2.0 compliant.


There's your problem right there.

AFAIX, NS 4.73 does not completely support CSS 2.0, nor does it
completely support XHTML. NS 6.1 does a better job, but it's still not
100% compliant with CSS 2.0
--
Anthony Williams
http://www.bigtone.net
Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
> *NS 4.73* - Problem: the page always scrolls off the screen to the right
no
matter how large the screen. It looks to me like it extends to the right the same distance as the left table column is wide.
This is fixed now! I moved a bunch of the margin settings from the main
style sheet to an imported sheet (which NS 4.7 won't read). This took care
of the problem.

Something interesting...it seems NS 4.7 doesn't like CSS comments that look
like:
/* ********************************* */
If I recall correctly, the browser won't stop crashing on a long document
until I removed them.

Now I just need a solution to the NS 6 problem...

Ben Gribaudo
www.bengribaudo.com
"Ben Gribaudo" <bengribaudoN_O_@_S_P_A_Mverizon.net> wrote in message
news:gj*******************@nwrddc02.gnilink.net... Hi All,

I have a test page up at http://www.nfpn.org/test/ which is giving me
problems in Netscape 4.73 & 6.1.

*NS 4.73* - Problem: the page always scrolls off the screen to the right no matter how large the screen. It looks to me like it extends to the right the same distance as the left table column is wide.

*NS 6.1* - Problem: a thin white gap appears between the tabs and the blue
bar below it. This problem is funny because if I remove the DTD, it
disappears.

All code is 100% XHTML 1.0 Transitional/CSS 2.0 compliant.

Do any of you have any ideas on what to try to fix either of these?

Thank you very much!

Ben Gribaudo
Webmaster, www.nfpn.org

Jul 20 '05 #8

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.