By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,625 Members | 2,261 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,625 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Text slops into table in MSIE

P: n/a
I'm composing pages that have the general format of a fat, short table
right next to a skinny, long table, followed by a bunch of text. The
text is supposed to start right under the fat, short table, and flow to
the right margin below the skinny, long table. Example:

fsfsfsfs slsl
fsfsfsfs slsl
slsl
xxxxxxxx slsl
xxxxxxxx slsl
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is probably more than one way of accomplishing this. The method I
used was to use two tables, one width 60% and aligned left, the other
40% and aligned right. This doesn't seem to work. What I get is the text
slopping over into the long, skinny table portion. Actually, in Mozilla
this works correctly, while MSIE is messed up. (I used 5.5 to test
this.) Example page at http://www.xmission.com/~helgem/tableslop.html

I've tried to work around it, but nothing quite works right, certainly
not for both browsers. Am I the first one to run into this strangeness?
Is there a solution that works for both browsers?
--
Helge Moulding
mailto:hm*******@excite.com Just another guy
http://hmoulding.cjb.net/ with a weird name
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
4 Replies


P: n/a
Helge Moulding wrote:
Actually, in Mozilla this works correctly, while MSIE is messed up.


If Opera gets this right, I'd call this an IE bug and send your bug report
to Microsoft.

--
Shawn K. Quinn
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
Helge Moulding wrote:
Actually, in Mozilla this works correctly, while MSIE is messed up.

If Opera gets this right, I'd call this an IE bug and send your bug
report to Microsoft.


Meanwhile I still want my pages to look right...
--
Helge Moulding
mailto:hm*******@excite.com Just another guy
http://hmoulding.cjb.net/ with a weird name
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:47:34 -0600, Helge Moulding
<hm*******@excite.com> wrote:
I'm composing pages that have the general format of a fat, short table
right next to a skinny, long table, followed by a bunch of text. The
text is supposed to start right under the fat, short table, and flow to
the right margin below the skinny, long table. Example:
[snipped]

There is probably more than one way of accomplishing this. The method I
used was to use two tables, one width 60% and aligned left, the other
40% and aligned right. This doesn't seem to work. What I get is the text
slopping over into the long, skinny table portion. Actually, in Mozilla
this works correctly, while MSIE is messed up. (I used 5.5 to test
this.) Example page at http://www.xmission.com/~helgem/tableslop.html


I don't have IE5.x anymore, but I can confirm it with IE6.

Anyway, I don't remember how to debug layout tables anymore, but you
can do it more easily by floating the first two paragraphs (assuming
you want them as paragraphs) left and right, with the desired widths.
I have an example page for you at:

<http://theodorakis.net/helge.html>

Seems to do what I think you want with IE6, Mozilla1.6, and Opera7.5,
although each seems to have a different idea about the default margin
or padding. You can also suggest margins and paddings if you care to.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
ni**************@hotmail.com
contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
Helge Moulding wrote:
fsfsfsfs slsl
fsfsfsfs slsl
slsl
xxxxxxxx slsl
xxxxxxxx slsl
xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is probably more than one way of accomplishing this.


Yes. Not using tables for layout would be a good start. Your "sl" table
could be a right-floated div.

--
Mark.
Jul 20 '05 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.