By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,766 Members | 1,265 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,766 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Disable saved form information on input?

P: n/a
no
Is there any way to disable the saved form information Mozilla Firefox
and Internet Explorer presents in a list every time you type text in a
form input, on a page you use every day?

If so, what is the correct syntax for the CSS?

Thanks.
Jul 20 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
18 Replies


P: n/a
no@spam.com wrote:
Is there any way to disable the saved form information Mozilla Firefox
and Internet Explorer presents in a list every time you type text in a
form input, on a page you use every day?
Yes, via browser settings. In Mozilla, it's under Tools > Forms manager.
I don't use MSIE except to test, so I don't know where the config option
for forms is on that os compone...uh, browser.
If so, what is the correct syntax for the CSS?


There's no css involved.

--
Brian (remove "invalid" from my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/
Jul 20 '05 #2

P: n/a
no@spam.com wrote:
Is there any way to disable the saved form information Mozilla Firefox
and Internet Explorer presents in a list every time you type text in a
form input, on a page you use every day?
You can turn these off in your browser preferences.

The non-standard autocomplete attribute can disable this function on a
case by case basis in MSIE. I don't know whether any other browser has
copied this extension.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...tocomplete.asp
If so, what is the correct syntax for the CSS?


Why on earth do you think that would have anything to do with CSS? CSS
is for presentation, not for mucking about with the functionality of
the users' browsers.

Steve

--
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Steve Pugh <st***@pugh.net> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
Jul 20 '05 #3

P: n/a
no
On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:39:37 -0400, Brian
<us*****@julietremblay.com.invalid> wrote:
Yes, via browser settings. In Mozilla, it's under Tools > Forms manager.
I don't use MSIE except to test, so I don't know where the config option
for forms is on that os compone...uh, browser.
If so, what is the correct syntax for the CSS?


There's no css involved.


Hello Brian,

Yes, I know how to disable it completely.

However, I only wanted to disable it for an internal application we
use, and leave the feature on for other web sites.

I don't think it's possible to disable it per input, but if it is I'd
like to find out how.

Bye for now
Jul 20 '05 #4

P: n/a
no
On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:39:51 +0100, Steve Pugh <st***@pugh.net> wrote:
Why on earth do you think that would have anything to do with CSS? CSS
is for presentation, not for mucking about with the functionality of
the users' browsers.

Steve


I only want to disable it for one internal site and leave the feature
enabled for all other sites. I don't think it's possible.

I've tried the AUTOCOMPLETE="off" but it's not supported in
Firefox/Mozilla.
Jul 20 '05 #5

P: n/a
no
On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:47:23 +0100, no@spam.com wrote:
I only want to disable it for one internal site and leave the feature
enabled for all other sites. I don't think it's possible.

I've tried the AUTOCOMPLETE="off" but it's not supported in
Firefox/Mozilla.


Duh, ignore me. It does work in Firefox/Mozilla. I was coding the
wrong input on the form.

As follows:

<INPUT AUTOCOMPLETE="off">

you can also do it for the complete form:
<FORM AUTOCOMPLETE="off">

This works in Firefox and Internet Explorer without us having to turn
the feature off completely.

Cheers
Jul 20 '05 #6

P: n/a
no@spam.com wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2004 20:39:51 +0100, Steve Pugh <st***@pugh.net> wrote:
Why on earth do you think that would have anything to do with CSS? CSS
is for presentation, not for mucking about with the functionality of
the users' browsers.
I only want to disable it for one internal site and leave the feature
enabled for all other sites. I don't think it's possible.


And that explains why you think a style sheet language would give you
this ability?

If it's an internal site, then you may be able to configure the
internal browsers to not store info for that site. But that's a
sysadmin and/or browser config issue not an HTML one.
I've tried the AUTOCOMPLETE="off" but it's not supported in
Firefox/Mozilla.


Have you checked the mozilla.org site? Or asked in a Mozilla
newsgroup?

You can always put the site on a sercure server, browsers don't store
details entered in forms on secure pages. ;-)

Steve

--
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you,
I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Steve Pugh <st***@pugh.net> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
Jul 20 '05 #7

P: n/a
no
On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:02:50 +0100, Steve Pugh <st***@pugh.net> wrote:
Have you checked the mozilla.org site? Or asked in a Mozilla
newsgroup?

Hello Steve,

I've fixed it by putting:

autocomplete="off"

inside each <form tag on my site.
You can always put the site on a sercure server, browsers don't store
details entered in forms on secure pages. ;-)

Not true. Firefox does save form information on HTTPS sites.

Bye for now
Jul 20 '05 #8

P: n/a
no@spam.com wrote:
I only wanted to disable it for an internal application we use


So your question is off topic for this group, then.

--
Brian (remove "invalid" from my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/
Jul 20 '05 #9

P: n/a
Steve Pugh wrote:
The non-standard autocomplete attribute can disable this function on a
case by case basis in MSIE. I don't know whether any other browser has
copied this extension.


Mozilla has, but a user can configure the browser to veto the author's
choice on this matter.

--
Brian (remove "invalid" from my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/
Jul 20 '05 #10

P: n/a
no
On Thu, 20 May 2004 18:19:04 -0400, Brian
<us*****@julietremblay.com.invalid> wrote:
no@spam.com wrote:
I only wanted to disable it for an internal application we use


So your question is off topic for this group, then.


Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no.

Jul 20 '05 #11

P: n/a
no@spam.com wrote:
Brian wrote:
no@spam.com wrote:
I only wanted to disable it for an internal application we use


So your question is off topic for this group, then.


Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no.


Er, yes. See the "www" in the group name?

--
Brian (remove "invalid" from my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/
Jul 20 '05 #12

P: n/a
Brian <us*****@julietremblay.com.invalid> wrote:
So your question is off topic for this group, then.
Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no.


Er, yes. See the "www" in the group name?


Let's rephrase the original question:

"Is there a standard attribute for the form or input
elements that will suggest the browser should not
save the information?"

Then it's on topic, and the answer is "no".

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/inte...tml#edef-INPUT
Similarly, there aren't any standard HTML attributes that
force the user's browser to clear the cache, bookmark your
site, or uninstall IE6 and install Mozilla. If such things
seem necessary, you'll have to get the user do it manually.

;K
;K

Jul 20 '05 #13

P: n/a
Brian wrote:
no@spam.com wrote:
I only wanted to disable it for an internal application we use


So your question is off topic for this group, then.


Is there a group for non-www authoring.html? I couldn't find one when I
looked some time ago.

--
Christine

Jul 20 '05 #14

P: n/a
Christine Forber wrote:
Is there a group for non-www authoring.html? I couldn't find one when
I looked some time ago.


I found several, including comp.infosystems.intranet

--
Brian (remove "invalid" from my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/
Jul 20 '05 #15

P: n/a
Brian wrote:
Christine Forber wrote:
Is there a group for non-www authoring.html? I couldn't find one when
I looked some time ago.


I found several, including comp.infosystems.intranet


Thanks. I had done a search for newsgroups with "html" in the group
name. Only found alt.html as an alternative to this group. Didn't think
of comp.infosystems.intranet.

--
Christine

Jul 20 '05 #16

P: n/a
CJM
"Brian" <us*****@julietremblay.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:10*************@corp.supernews.com...

I found several, including comp.infosystems.intranet


Yes there is this other NG, but as you well know it is deader than the
average Dodo... not only that, but it is not for HTML either. Only one post
in May.

Of course, you could equally argue that c.i.w.browsers.* would be more
appropriate groups, given the OPs question and our subsequent answers, but I
wouldn't.

Personally, I'd be happy to recieve posts in this NG that involve intranets,
providing the focus generally remains on the HTML.
I can't speak for others of course....

CJM
Jul 20 '05 #17

P: n/a
CJM wrote:
Brian wrote...
I found several, including comp.infosystems.intranet
there is this other NG, but as you well know it is deader than the
average Dodo...


No, I don't "well know." I don't read that group, because I don't work
with intranets.
Of course, you could equally argue that c.i.w.browsers.* would be more
appropriate groups
That might be appropriate. I'd have to spend more time in the *browsers*
groups.
I'd be happy to recieve posts in this NG that involve intranets,
providing the focus generally remains on the HTML.


....provided the focus remains on HTML in a broad sense, i.e., I think
questions about how to make a "web application" work for one browser,
because "that's the browser that our intranet users have," is
appropriate for this group. Same for "we require js to be on for the
browsers on our intranet, so your criticism about not having js is not
relevant"; that strikes me as off-topic.

This is a group for HTML on the www. If you're not prepared to discuss
the ramifications of your code on the www, then take it elsewhere. My 2
cents.

--
Brian (remove "invalid" from my address to email me)
http://www.tsmchughs.com/
Jul 20 '05 #18

P: n/a
On Tue, 25 May 2004, CJM wrote:
I found several, including comp.infosystems.intranet
Yes there is this other NG, but as you well know it is deader than the
average Dodo...


Maybe they realised (one can always hope ;-) that techniques which are
applicable to the World Wide Web are often also the best answer in an
intranet context. I know of one corporate intranet which spent large
sums on making their pages WAI-compatible because of the threat of
legal action on behalf of their disabled employees and potential
employees. Much of that WAI work would be removing intranet-only
factors, it seems to me.
Personally, I'd be happy to recieve posts in this NG that involve
intranets, providing the focus generally remains on the HTML.


Depends on what you mean by "HTML". If they want to make the pages
dependent on vendor-specific feechers then I'm going to have to vote
against. Of course they're entirely welcome to learn anything they
can from WWW-compatible techniques. And it will stand them in good
stead if/when some corporate decision is taken to change vendors.

Jul 20 '05 #19

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.