468,537 Members | 1,480 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,537 developers. It's quick & easy.

layering images without layers?

I am having issues using layers due to the different ways that
different browsers display them. I need to be able to layer some
images together as they work independently of each other. For example
- there is an image that is the background. Then, there are images
used as buttons/links, then there are images that swap out based on
certain clicks. All of these on the same page. Are there other options
for layering images without using layers, or Flash?

Thanks
Jun 27 '08 #1
8 2568
do********@gmail.com schreef:
I am having issues using layers due to the different ways that
different browsers display them. I need to be able to layer some
images together as they work independently of each other. For example
- there is an image that is the background. Then, there are images
used as buttons/links, then there are images that swap out based on
certain clicks. All of these on the same page. Are there other options
for layering images without using layers, or Flash?

Thanks
You can apply z-index to your images if you want. I wonder which
behaviour you refer to when you say that layers behave different in
different browsers.

--
http://www.archytas.nl/
webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica
Jun 27 '08 #2
On Jun 4, 2:43 pm, Roderik <nos...@atall.nlwrote:
dougawe...@gmail.com schreef:
I am having issues using layers due to the different ways that
different browsers display them. I need to be able to layer some
images together as they work independently of each other. For example
- there is an image that is the background. Then, there are images
used as buttons/links, then there are images that swap out based on
certain clicks. All of these on the same page. Are there other options
for layering images without using layers, or Flash?
Thanks

You can apply z-index to your images if you want. I wonder which
behaviour you refer to when you say that layers behave different in
different browsers.

--http://www.archytas.nl/
webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica
It's their position. I need certain images to appear at certain spots
- based on the underlying background image. Using layers with absolute
positioning, I tested in three different browsers (IE, Firefox,
Safari) and got three different results.
Jun 27 '08 #3
do********@gmail.com schreef:
On Jun 4, 2:43 pm, Roderik <nos...@atall.nlwrote:
>dougawe...@gmail.com schreef:
>>I am having issues using layers due to the different ways that
different browsers display them. I need to be able to layer some
images together as they work independently of each other. For example
- there is an image that is the background. Then, there are images
used as buttons/links, then there are images that swap out based on
certain clicks. All of these on the same page. Are there other options
for layering images without using layers, or Flash?
Thanks
You can apply z-index to your images if you want. I wonder which
behaviour you refer to when you say that layers behave different in
different browsers.

--http://www.archytas.nl/
webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica

It's their position. I need certain images to appear at certain spots
- based on the underlying background image. Using layers with absolute
positioning, I tested in three different browsers (IE, Firefox,
Safari) and got three different results.
Do you have that test page somewhere online?

--
http://www.archytas.nl/
webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica
Jun 27 '08 #4
On Jun 4, 6:27 pm, Roderik <nos...@atall.nlwrote:
dougawe...@gmail.com schreef:
On Jun 4, 2:43 pm, Roderik <nos...@atall.nlwrote:
dougawe...@gmail.com schreef:
>I am having issues using layers due to the different ways that
different browsers display them. I need to be able to layer some
images together as they work independently of each other. For example
- there is an image that is the background. Then, there are images
used as buttons/links, then there are images that swap out based on
certain clicks. All of these on the same page. Are there other options
for layering images without using layers, or Flash?
Thanks
You can apply z-index to your images if you want. I wonder which
behaviour you refer to when you say that layers behave different in
different browsers.
--http://www.archytas.nl/
webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica
It's their position. I need certain images to appear at certain spots
- based on the underlying background image. Using layers with absolute
positioning, I tested in three different browsers (IE, Firefox,
Safari) and got three different results.

Do you have that test page somewhere online?

--http://www.archytas.nl/
webdesign, internet applicaties, internetgestuurde elektronica
Hi - You can see some early work here: http://www.dnld.net/newsite/benke_enter.htm.
In Firefox, the rollover text is positioned close to correct, it's off
in IE, and off in a different way in Safari.
Jun 27 '08 #5
do********@gmail.com wrote:
Hi - You can see some early work here: http://www.dnld.net/newsite/benke_enter.htm.
In Firefox, the rollover text is positioned close to correct, it's off
in IE, and off in a different way in Safari.
That is not an webpage, it's an image!

Problems:

Images as text much larger than text! 100 KB for a measly 64 words!
Images as text not readable by screen readers
Images as text not index in search engines
All links are using JavaScript pseudo protocol.

Time to discover <p>And some text...</p>

and Google "CSS rollovers"

Lastly until your learn the basics, maybe not even after, do not use
"position: absolute" for anything.
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Jun 27 '08 #6
On Jun 5, 10:26 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@central.netwrote:
dougawe...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi - You can see some early work here:http://www.dnld.net/newsite/benke_enter.htm.
In Firefox, the rollover text is positioned close to correct, it's off
in IE, and off in a different way in Safari.

That is not an webpage, it's an image!

Problems:

Images as text much larger than text! 100 KB for a measly 64 words!
Images as text not readable by screen readers
Images as text not index in search engines
All links are using JavaScript pseudo protocol.

Time to discover <p>And some text...</p>

and Google "CSS rollovers"

Lastly until your learn the basics, maybe not even after, do not use
"position: absolute" for anything.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIOhttp://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Thanks for your thoughts - although I don't find them overly helpful.
I'm very clear on what the site is and is not - I did not design it, I
am trying to make it work with the design that was created. If I can't
make it work well, I will ask the designer to return to the drawing
board - or I will create the site in Flash. I was hoping there would
some tools that would be helpful to me with this design.
Jun 27 '08 #7
do********@gmail.com wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:26 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@central.netwrote:
>dougawe...@gmail.com wrote:
>>Hi - You can see some early work here:http://www.dnld.net/newsite/benke_enter.htm.
In Firefox, the rollover text is positioned close to correct, it's off
in IE, and off in a different way in Safari.
That is not an webpage, it's an image!

Problems:

Images as text much larger than text! 100 KB for a measly 64 words!
Images as text not readable by screen readers
Images as text not index in search engines
All links are using JavaScript pseudo protocol.

Time to discover <p>And some text...</p>

and Google "CSS rollovers"

Lastly until your learn the basics, maybe not even after, do not use
"position: absolute" for anything.
>
Thanks for your thoughts - although I don't find them overly helpful.
I'm very clear on what the site is and is not - I did not design it, I
Apparently not. If you did you would see that what I offered was quite
helpful.
am trying to make it work with the design that was created. If I can't
make it work well, I will ask the designer to return to the drawing
board
I would suggest that you do. If he does not understand the problem then
it is time to find another designer.

- or I will create the site in Flash. I was hoping there would
some tools that would be helpful to me with this design.
Oh that will fix it, hey Travis another job for you!

Seriously! You do not have a webpage, as I said before you have an image
of a webpage. It could be easily done with a couple of images, with real
markup a bit of CSS and NO JavaScript! The advantages would be a
fraction of the bandwidth, legible and accessible to a range of users,
and be search engine friendly. How this would not be overly helpful
boggles the mind.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Jun 27 '08 #8
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
do********@gmail.com wrote:
>On Jun 5, 10:26 am, "Jonathan N. Little" <lws4...@central.netwrote:
>>dougawe...@gmail.com wrote:
http://www.dnld.net/newsite/benke_enter.htm.

am trying to make it work with the design that was created.

You do not have a webpage, as I said before you have an image
of a webpage.
Yup - it is not a web design, but a print design. Some things just don't
translate that well to web media. A lot of graphic designers don't get this.
It could be easily done with a couple of images, with real
markup a bit of CSS and NO JavaScript! The advantages would be a
fraction of the bandwidth,
I'm not so sure about a fraction, but no doubt smaller. That background
jpg seems to be compressed about as good as it's gonna get, given the
extra large dimensions. It will never be lightweight, but would surely
be smaller if it weren't one big image including text. If the text and
variable wine bottle were separated, the browser could cache the largest
images and subsequent pages would be better off. There's no useful
caching now.
legible and accessible to a range of users,
and be search engine friendly. How this would not be overly helpful
boggles the mind.
Using plain text instead of pictures of text would be a big improvement
in all those things, but it really depends on who their target audience
is what they should do about it. I don't know anything about wine (never
touch the stuff) so I wouldn't be the one to offer marketing
suggestions, but Flash might actually be better suited to their target
market. The site as it stands now, however, is not good for anyone.

--
Berg
now killing all posts from google groups
Jun 27 '08 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

3 posts views Thread by Dave | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by VR | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Paul Keegstra | last post: by
61 posts views Thread by phil-news-nospam | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by vikash | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by blobb | last post: by
reply views Thread by NPC403 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.