471,583 Members | 1,430 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,583 software developers and data experts.

links not aligning right

Hello:

I am a webmaster for a non-profit organization. I do know some
HTML, but I'm by no means an expert. Recently, many pages on our site
were redesigned by a professional web designer, who volunteered his time
for a one time improvement. Now, I'm trying to add a new page to our
site, and make it look consistent by removing and replacing the text in
an existing page. However, in the one page the links at the bottom page
are centered and are in two neat lines, like the rest of the site. In
my page, the links are squashed on the left hand side at the bottom. The
pages I'm referring to are:

http://www.reaps.org/Links.html (the links at the bottom of the page are
formatted properly)
http://www.reaps.org/publications/ca...castings2.html (the links are
not displaying properly) .

Like I said, I'm not an expert, and the professional designer has used
a lot of HTML tags I'm not overly familiar with, such as <span>, and he
also uses table tags in ways I'm not familiar with. Obviously, I've done
something wrong, but I'm not sure what I've done. Perhaps some of you
experts could compare the code of the two pages and let me know what
I've done wrong. Also, could somebody explain what the <maptags at the
bottom of the page are supposed to do? I assume they have something to
do with image maps, but there's no image maps at the bottom of our
pages. I'm thinking it's useless code I can delete, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Corey

P.S. The page is not a "live" page yet, and some of the links don't work
yet, just so you all know. That's something I do know how to fix.
Oct 8 '07 #1
4 2356
Corey Walker wrote:
>
http://www.reaps.org/publications/ca...castings2.html (the links are
not displaying properly) .
Those links are placed in an inner table when they should be in the
outer table.
[...] Also, could somebody explain what the <maptags at the
bottom of the page are supposed to do? I assume they have something to
do with image maps, but there's no image maps at the bottom of our
pages. I'm thinking it's useless code I can delete, but I'm not sure.
It looks like completely useless code. Remove it and see what happens.

--
jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
Oct 8 '07 #2
Corey Walker wrote:
>
Recently, many pages on our site were redesigned by a professional
web designer, who volunteered his time for a one time improvement.
That was nice of him, so I guess you can't complain. Still, if he was
going to use graphics using black text on white backgrounds, he could
have declared default colors at the same time (in a stylesheet, which he
doesn't seem to know about).

body { color:black; background-color: white; }
The pages I'm referring to are:

http://www.reaps.org/Links.html (the links at the bottom of the page are
formatted properly)
http://www.reaps.org/publications/ca...castings2.html (the links are
not displaying properly) .

Also, could somebody explain what the <maptags
at the bottom of the page are supposed to do? I assume they have
something to do with image maps, but there's no image maps at the bottom
of our pages. I'm thinking it's useless code I can delete, but I'm not
sure.
The Map3 element is what makes links out of the top nav bar in the
banner. If you delete them, the top nav links won't work (unless you
replace the banner image and use individual button images or actual text
links).

Map and Map2 are not used on the page you mention (Links.html) but are
carryovers from another page (similar to the Home page, q.v.), where
there are button-like graphics near the bottom of the page. The Links
page doesn't need Map or Map2 (unless you add similar graphics to that
page).
--
John
Pondering the value of the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/
Oct 8 '07 #3
Corey Walker wrote:
Hello:

I am a webmaster for a non-profit organization. I do know some HTML,
but I'm by no means an expert. Recently, many pages on our site were
redesigned by a professional web designer, who volunteered his time for
a one time improvement. Now, I'm trying to add a new page to our site,
and make it look consistent by removing and replacing the text in an
existing page. However, in the one page the links at the bottom page
are centered and are in two neat lines, like the rest of the site. In
my page, the links are squashed on the left hand side at the bottom. The
pages I'm referring to are:

http://www.reaps.org/Links.html (the links at the bottom of the page are
formatted properly)
http://www.reaps.org/publications/ca...castings2.html (the links are
not displaying properly) .

Like I said, I'm not an expert, and the professional designer has
used a lot of HTML tags I'm not overly familiar with, such as <span>,
and he also uses table tags in ways I'm not familiar with. Obviously,
I've done something wrong, but I'm not sure what I've done. Perhaps some
of you experts could compare the code of the two pages and let me know
what I've done wrong. Also, could somebody explain what the <maptags
at the bottom of the page are supposed to do? I assume they have
something to do with image maps, but there's no image maps at the bottom
of our pages. I'm thinking it's useless code I can delete, but I'm not
sure.

Thanks,
Corey

P.S. The page is not a "live" page yet, and some of the links don't work
yet, just so you all know. That's something I do know how to fix.

You appear to have missed out a couple of table tags.

The bit you need to change is just above the affected links in the
source code. Search for '<div align="center">' - then look for the bit
above that looks like this:

</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>

Then change it to look like this:

</span></td>
</tr>
</table></td>
</tr>
<tr>
Oct 8 '07 #4
John Hosking wrote:
Corey Walker wrote:
>>
Recently, many pages on our site were redesigned by a professional web
designer, who volunteered his time for a one time improvement.

That was nice of him, so I guess you can't complain. Still, if he was
going to use graphics using black text on white backgrounds, he could
have declared default colors at the same time (in a stylesheet, which he
doesn't seem to know about).

body { color:black; background-color: white; }
>The pages I'm referring to are:

http://www.reaps.org/Links.html (the links at the bottom of the page
are formatted properly)
http://www.reaps.org/publications/ca...castings2.html (the links
are not displaying properly) .

Also, could somebody explain what the <maptags at the bottom of the
page are supposed to do? I assume they have something to do with image
maps, but there's no image maps at the bottom of our pages. I'm
thinking it's useless code I can delete, but I'm not sure.

The Map3 element is what makes links out of the top nav bar in the
banner. If you delete them, the top nav links won't work (unless you
replace the banner image and use individual button images or actual text
links).

Map and Map2 are not used on the page you mention (Links.html) but are
carryovers from another page (similar to the Home page, q.v.), where
there are button-like graphics near the bottom of the page. The Links
page doesn't need Map or Map2 (unless you add similar graphics to that
page).

Thanks, I deleted the excess code and it's working just fine. I just
wish the other guy had used the comments tag a few times, to explain
what some of these tags were to the non-expert. But I'll figure it out
as I go along, I guess.

Corey
Oct 9 '07 #5

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

3 posts views Thread by Hal Vaughan | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by erikd | last post: by
10 posts views Thread by Carolyn Marenger | last post: by
6 posts views Thread by Colin Walls | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Linux Boy via .NET 247 | last post: by
28 posts views Thread by kiqyou_vf | last post: by
1 post views Thread by kiqyou_vf | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by Berlin Brown | last post: by
reply views Thread by XIAOLAOHU | last post: by
reply views Thread by leo001 | last post: by
reply views Thread by lumer26 | last post: by
reply views Thread by Vinnie | last post: by

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.