471,618 Members | 1,156 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
Post +

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Join Bytes to post your question to a community of 471,618 software developers and data experts.

FTP software

I have previously used FrontPage for design and upload. I am
rewriting my web in HTML, getting away from FrontPage, and so need
some software for FTP transfer of my web site. Any recommendations?
Any decent freeware?

www.richardfisher.com

Sep 7 '07 #1
13 2148
On 7 Sep, 16:40, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.comwrote:
Any decent freeware?
No, they've all got problems. FileZilla works but has an outdated user
interface. FireFTP (plugin to Firefox) mostly works but has a slightly
awkward interface. CuteFTP doesn't work right. I use FireFTP when I
need something. It does the job.

You can also avoid ftp entirely. There are better choices.

Sep 7 '07 #2
Andy Dingley wrote:
FileZilla works but has an outdated user
interface.
Call me outdated. I use Filezilla and am very happy with it.
Sep 7 '07 #3
Helpful person wrote:
I have previously used FrontPage for design and upload.
I used it for a week or so back in 1997. Promptly tossed it.
I am rewriting my web in HTML,
(It's already in HTML... just bad HTML...)
getting away from FrontPage,
Your best decision this month! <lol>
and so need some software for FTP transfer of my web site. Any
recommendations? Any decent freeware?
As recommended, FileZilla does the job nicely. I've been using it since
it was a baby, I guess. The interface is straightforward and logical;
Andy described it as "outdated" but I don't know what flash-bang-whiz I
would want to add to it.

--
-bts
-Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
Sep 7 '07 #4
On Sep 7, 12:49 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
[...]
>
As recommended, FileZilla does the job nicely. I've been using it since
it was a baby, I guess. The interface is straightforward and logical;
Andy described it as "outdated" but I don't know what flash-bang-whiz I
would want to add to it.
Just how fancy does an ftp client need to be, anyway? Mostly I just
need to see the files and directories and file information, ability to
transfer multiple files, and it would be nice to do some basic
"command line" type tasks such as chmod.

I've been using ws_ftp le by Ipswitch for years, but it now seems it's
no longer offered and they suggest ws_ftp home edition (not free, so
that doesn't help you).

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
ni**************@hotmail.com
contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html

Sep 7 '07 #5
On Sep 7, 11:40 am, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.comwrote:
I have previously used FrontPage for design and upload. I am
rewriting my web in HTML, getting away from FrontPage, and so need
some software for FTP transfer of my web site. Any recommendations?
Any decent freeware?

www.richardfisher.com
Thanks everyone. I downloaded FileZilla and it's working perfectly
for me.

www.richardfisher.com

Sep 7 '07 #6
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:02:16 -0700, Andy Dingley
<di*****@codesmiths.comwrote:
>On 7 Sep, 16:40, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.comwrote:
>Any decent freeware?

No, they've all got problems. FileZilla works but has an outdated user
interface.
Sorry to criticise - but I don't really think that "an outdated user
interface" should be a "problem"...
even to an ex-Frontpage user <G>.
--
Locate your Mobile phone: <http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html>
Great gifts: <http://www.ThisBritain.com/ASOS_popup.html>
Sep 8 '07 #7
On 9/7/2007 10:45 AM, Nick Theodorakis wrote:
On Sep 7, 12:49 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
[...]
>As recommended, FileZilla does the job nicely. I've been using it since
it was a baby, I guess. The interface is straightforward and logical;
Andy described it as "outdated" but I don't know what flash-bang-whiz I
would want to add to it.

Just how fancy does an ftp client need to be, anyway? Mostly I just
need to see the files and directories and file information, ability to
transfer multiple files, and it would be nice to do some basic
"command line" type tasks such as chmod.

I've been using ws_ftp le by Ipswitch for years, but it now seems it's
no longer offered and they suggest ws_ftp home edition (not free, so
that doesn't help you).

Nick
I too am using WS_FTP LE (version 5.08 2000.02.23). It's 7 years old
(as indicated by the version number), but it still does what I need. I
first installed it for Windows 95. Then I installed it for Windows
98SE. Now I'm using it for Windows XP SP2. Fortunately, I always save
the installation files of software I load on my PC.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997
Sep 8 '07 #8
cf
let it be known on Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:24:27 -0700
"David E. Ross" <no****@nowhere.notscribed:

|
|I too am using WS_FTP LE (version 5.08 2000.02.23). It's 7 years old
|(as indicated by the version number), but it still does what I need. I
|first installed it for Windows 95. Then I installed it for Windows
|98SE. Now I'm using it for Windows XP SP2. Fortunately, I always save
|the installation files of software I load on my PC.
|

I must agree with using old-out dated ftp clients. I'm still using WS_FTP-32 for Windows copyrighted 1994-1995(!) on XP Pro. Does everything I need it to do very well.

--
cf <cf****@NOcharterSPAM.net>
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.
Terry Bradshaw
Sep 9 '07 #9
On 9/8/2007 5:21 PM, cf wrote:
let it be known on Sat, 08 Sep 2007 08:24:27 -0700
"David E. Ross" <no****@nowhere.notscribed:

|
|I too am using WS_FTP LE (version 5.08 2000.02.23). It's 7 years old
|(as indicated by the version number), but it still does what I need. I
|first installed it for Windows 95. Then I installed it for Windows
|98SE. Now I'm using it for Windows XP SP2. Fortunately, I always save
|the installation files of software I load on my PC.
|

I must agree with using old-out dated ftp clients. I'm still using WS_FTP-32 for Windows copyrighted 1994-1995(!) on XP Pro. Does everything I need it to do very well.
As long as a software application -- or a computer -- still
satisfactorily performs the task for which it was obtained, it's not
obsolete no matter how old it is.
--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Anyone who thinks government owns a monopoly on inefficient, obstructive
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997
Sep 9 '07 #10
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 7 Sep, 16:40, Helpful person <rrl...@yahoo.comwrote:
>Any decent freeware?

No, they've all got problems. FileZilla works but has an outdated user
interface. FireFTP (plugin to Firefox) mostly works but has a slightly
awkward interface. CuteFTP doesn't work right.
I've been using it for must be 10 years now and it works fine.
I use FireFTP when I
need something. It does the job.

You can also avoid ftp entirely. There are better choices.
Usually the only choices are the ones that one's hosting service provides.
Sep 9 '07 #11
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<a.*********@example.invalidwriting in news:VifEi.504262$p47.183618
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
As recommended, FileZilla does the job nicely. I've been using it
since
it was a baby, I guess. The interface is straightforward and logical;
Andy described it as "outdated" but I don't know what flash-bang-whiz
I
would want to add to it.
I use Filezilla as well. The only thing I would like is access to the
windows system menu on right click. For example, one thing I do all the
time is select a bunch of files (my side), and rar 'em up before
downloading original files to the backup folder, then I upload the new
files to the server. I'd really like to be able to do that from the
right click menu.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

Sep 9 '07 #12
Helpful person says...
I have previously used FrontPage for design and upload. I am
rewriting my web in HTML, getting away from FrontPage, and so need
some software for FTP transfer of my web site. Any recommendations?
Any decent freeware?
For straight FTP - FileZilla.

But it also depends on with what you are replacing FrontPage. For text
editing I use Crimson Editor and it has built-in FTP (remote editing)
functionality, as believe DreamWeaver has too.

Geoff M
Sep 9 '07 #13
Nick Theodorakis wrote:
On Sep 7, 12:49 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
[...]
>>As recommended, FileZilla does the job nicely. I've been using it since
it was a baby, I guess. The interface is straightforward and logical;
Andy described it as "outdated" but I don't know what flash-bang-whiz I
would want to add to it.


Just how fancy does an ftp client need to be, anyway? Mostly I just
need to see the files and directories and file information, ability to
transfer multiple files, and it would be nice to do some basic
"command line" type tasks such as chmod.

I've been using ws_ftp le by Ipswitch for years, but it now seems it's
no longer offered and they suggest ws_ftp home edition (not free, so
that doesn't help you).
I switched from WsFTP to CoreFTP LE.

Things I liked in the switch.

1) Core picks up in the same place (you don't have to start back at root
each time) after it times out.
2) CHMOD actually shows the current permissions, WsFTP always defaults
to the last change.
3) Site to Site FTP.
4) Lots of other features. Almost none of which I use. But it does show
the low level commands.

I haven't tried Filezilla, CoreFTP was the first that didn't totally
piss me off. In fact, I like it.
Jeff
>
Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
ni**************@hotmail.com
contact form:
http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
Oct 24 '07 #14

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.