By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,867 Members | 1,964 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,867 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Which open source text editor to use

P: n/a
Hello everyone,

I am considering changing text editors.

Which open source text editor would you recommend for xhtml & css?

Thanks in advance,
Dave White

Mar 15 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
9 Replies


P: n/a
In our last episode, <49********************************@4ax.com>, the
lovely and talented Dave White broadcast on
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
Hello everyone,
I am considering changing text editors.
Which open source text editor would you recommend for xhtml & css?

Joe: it really is customizable, "modeless," has an easy macro language,
and syntax highlighting for more kinds of files that you can shake a stick
at (also customizable).

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/ <http://myspace.com/larseighner>
Countdown: 676 days to go.
Mar 15 '07 #2

P: n/a
On 15 Mar 2007 20:03:06 GMT, Lars Eighner <us****@larseighner.com>
wrote:
>In our last episode, <49********************************@4ax.com>, the
lovely and talented Dave White broadcast on
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
>Hello everyone,
>I am considering changing text editors.
>Which open source text editor would you recommend for xhtml & css?


Joe: it really is customizable, "modeless," has an easy macro language,
and syntax highlighting for more kinds of files that you can shake a stick
at (also customizable).
It does look good! Unfortunately, I need an editor for the windows
environment.

Thanks,
Dave
Mar 15 '07 #3

P: n/a
Dave White wrote:
On 15 Mar 2007 20:03:06 GMT, Lars Eighner <us****@larseighner.com>
wrote:
>>Joe: it really is customizable, "modeless," has an easy macro language,
and syntax highlighting for more kinds of files that you can shake a stick
at (also customizable).

It does look good! Unfortunately, I need an editor for the windows
environment.
....because Windows is open source... ;-)

--
John
Mar 15 '07 #4

P: n/a
It does look good! Unfortunately, I need an editor for the windows
environment.
Ever try Textpad 4? (http://textpad.com) It has a very handy clip
library, and it's cheap.

Mar 15 '07 #5

P: n/a
On 15 Mar 2007 13:36:15 -0700, al********@yahoo.com wrote:
It does look good! Unfortunately, I need an editor for the windows
environment.
Ever try Textpad 4? (http://textpad.com) It has a very handy clip
library, and it's cheap.
And It works absolutely perfectly under wine if you ever do make the
leap =]

Also, If you don't feel like buying it, the trial isn't painful at all
- it doesn't lock you out after 30 days - it just shows a little nag
screen at startup.

Mar 15 '07 #6

P: n/a
On Mar 15, 6:25 pm, Dave White <djwh...@snet.netwrote:
I am considering changing text editors.
Which open source text editor would you recommend for xhtml & css?
JEdit, Emacs (with nxml-mode) or GVim

Mar 15 '07 #7

P: n/a
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:31:00 +0100, John Hosking
<Jo**@DELETE.Hosking.name.INVALIDwrote:
>Dave White wrote:
>On 15 Mar 2007 20:03:06 GMT, Lars Eighner <us****@larseighner.com>
wrote:
>>>Joe: it really is customizable, "modeless," has an easy macro language,
and syntax highlighting for more kinds of files that you can shake a stick
at (also customizable).

It does look good! Unfortunately, I need an editor for the windows
environment.

...because Windows is open source... ;-)
Unfortunately, teachers don't get to choose the opsys.. :-(
Mar 16 '07 #8

P: n/a
Dave White wrote:
>
I need an editor for the windows environment.
http://www.crimsoneditor.com

--
Berg
Mar 16 '07 #9

P: n/a
I am considering changing text editors.

vi :)

--
iTech Consulting Services Limited
Expert of ePOS solutions
Website: http://www.itech.com.hk (IE only)
Tel: (852)2325 3883 Fax: (852)2325 8288
Mar 16 '07 #10

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.