468,103 Members | 1,301 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 468,103 developers. It's quick & easy.

question about horizontal scrollbar in frames

Hello all,

as a non-professional in these things, I searched for this topic but found
no satisfying answer:

I have to create a site with 3 frames. (Please no diskussion about the sense
of using frames...)
The main frame has to show a vertical scrollbar if content is bigger than
one display page.
This works well, but:

if I define "scrollbar=auto" then
- in IE also a horizontal scrollbar is shown when content is bigger than
one page (bad)
- in Opera & Firefox only vertical scrollbar is shown (good)

if I define "scrollbar=yes" then

- in IE only a vertical scrollbar is shown (good)
- in IE and FF also a horizontal scrollbar is shown but deactivated (grey)
(bad)

one hint is to delete the DTD statement. This solves the problem but is not
a really good idea, because a lot of my css styles then works different.
Any hints?

Thank you very much,

Michael
Aug 11 '06 #1
14 3653
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
Hello all,

as a non-professional in these things, I searched for this topic but found
no satisfying answer:

I have to create a site with 3 frames. (Please no diskussion about the sense
of using frames...)
The main frame has to show a vertical scrollbar if content is bigger than
one display page.
This works well, but:

if I define "scrollbar=auto" then
- in IE also a horizontal scrollbar is shown when content is bigger than
one page (bad)
- in Opera & Firefox only vertical scrollbar is shown (good)

if I define "scrollbar=yes" then

- in IE only a vertical scrollbar is shown (good)
- in IE and FF also a horizontal scrollbar is shown but deactivated (grey)
(bad)
Give us a url to demonstrate what you say when you have
scrollbar="yes", it does not happen like you say on my copy of
Mac IE , nor Safari, nor - and I bet quids this is the same on
Windows for the following - Firefox. If you have things right,
for scrollbars="yes", it behaves beautifully.

--
dorayme
Aug 11 '06 #2
Hi,

the site is on my notebook at this time --no URL
But I will give you one with an nearly empty site soon. I used one yesterday
for verifying this behaviour.

It is IE 6.0.2900.2180 on Win XP sp2.

The behaviour at Opera & FF is correct!

Regards,

Michael
dorayme wrote:
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
>Hello all,

as a non-professional in these things, I searched for this topic but
found no satisfying answer:

I have to create a site with 3 frames. (Please no diskussion about
the sense of using frames...)
The main frame has to show a vertical scrollbar if content is bigger
than one display page.
This works well, but:

if I define "scrollbar=auto" then
- in IE also a horizontal scrollbar is shown when content is bigger
than one page (bad)
- in Opera & Firefox only vertical scrollbar is shown (good)

if I define "scrollbar=yes" then

- in IE only a vertical scrollbar is shown (good)
- in IE and FF also a horizontal scrollbar is shown but deactivated
(grey) (bad)

Give us a url to demonstrate what you say when you have
scrollbar="yes", it does not happen like you say on my copy of
Mac IE , nor Safari, nor - and I bet quids this is the same on
Windows for the following - Firefox. If you have things right,
for scrollbars="yes", it behaves beautifully.

Aug 11 '06 #3
Hi,

dorayme wrote:
Give us a url to demonstrate what you say when you have
scrollbar="yes", it does not happen like you say on my copy of
Mac IE , nor Safari, nor - and I bet quids this is the same on
Windows for the following - Firefox. If you have things right,
for scrollbars="yes", it behaves beautifully.
Here they are:

http://www.weis-it.de/dummy/frameset_yes.html

http://www.weis-it.de/dummy/frameset_auto.html

they act exactly as I described

the "auto" value would be exact what I want - if MS IE wouldn't show this
horizontal scrollbar.

Regards,

Michael
Aug 11 '06 #4
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Michael Weis wrote:
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869

(Please no diskussion about the sense of using frames...)
Welcome to Usenet!
Any hints?
http://piology.org/news/oe-erste-schritte.html

--
Top-posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

Aug 11 '06 #5
Andreas Prilop wrote:
Welcome to Usenet!
>Any hints?

thank you for this valuable hint.

Michael
Aug 11 '06 #6

Michael Weis wrote:
Hi,

dorayme wrote:
Give us a url to demonstrate what you say when you have
scrollbar="yes", it does not happen like you say on my copy of
Mac IE , nor Safari, nor - and I bet quids this is the same on
Windows for the following - Firefox. If you have things right,
for scrollbars="yes", it behaves beautifully.

Here they are:

http://www.weis-it.de/dummy/frameset_yes.html

http://www.weis-it.de/dummy/frameset_auto.html

they act exactly as I described

the "auto" value would be exact what I want - if MS IE wouldn't show this
horizontal scrollbar.

Regards,

Michael
Well there is some good news in that IE v7 (beta 3), the "auto" value
only gives the vertical scroll bar as per Opera v9 and Firefox, so I
would stick with auto for the time being.

I did verify that "yes" gives the greyed out horizontal scrollbar on
Opera and Firefox here.

Rich
www.internetbusinessangels.com

Aug 11 '06 #7
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
dorayme wrote:
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
if I define "scrollbar=yes" then

- in IE only a vertical scrollbar is shown (good)
- in IE and FF also a horizontal scrollbar is shown but deactivated
(grey) (bad)
Give us a url to demonstrate what you say when you have
scrollbar="yes", it does not happen like you say on my copy of
Mac IE , nor Safari, nor - and I bet quids this is the same on
Windows for the following - Firefox. If you have things right,
for scrollbars="yes", it behaves beautifully.
The behaviour at Opera & FF is correct!
Please don't top-post, took me 20 sec to mess about sorting the
order out somewhat. So are you saying now that FF is right and
"good" whereas you thought it was "bad" before? Without a url,
you need to be especially clear.

--
dorayme
Aug 11 '06 #8

"dorayme" <do************@optusnet.com.auskrev i meddelandet
news:do**********************************@news-vip.optusnet.com.au...
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
dorayme wrote:
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
>
>if I define "scrollbar=yes" then
>>
>- in IE only a vertical scrollbar is shown (good)
>- in IE and FF also a horizontal scrollbar is shown but deactivated
>(grey) (bad)
>
Give us a url to demonstrate what you say when you have
scrollbar="yes", it does not happen like you say on my copy of
Mac IE , nor Safari, nor - and I bet quids this is the same on
Windows for the following - Firefox. If you have things right,
for scrollbars="yes", it behaves beautifully.

The behaviour at Opera & FF is correct!

Please don't top-post, took me 20 sec to mess about sorting the
order out somewhat. So are you saying now that FF is right and
"good" whereas you thought it was "bad" before? Without a url,
you need to be especially clear.


Hello dorayme,
I am under the impression that I know now who you are not...

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
Vad kallar man Sverige på italienska?
E l´Italia in svedese?
Aug 11 '06 #9
In article <eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote:
Hi,

the site is on my notebook at this time --no URL
But I will give you one with an nearly empty site soon. I used one yesterday
for verifying this behaviour.

It is IE 6.0.2900.2180 on Win XP sp2.

The behaviour at Opera & FF is correct!

Regards,

Michael
I took another look, fresh this morning, you are right about the
greyed out, it looked so natural on an old site I made (that had
just 2 frames, left nav and right content with grey border
allowed) that I missed that it was a grey scollbar. There were no
arrows, nothing to indicate a scollbar to the average website
user, it is a subtlety, a place for the scroll bar to happen
without it suddenly popping in to disturb things, it serves to be
a graceful phantom ready to spring into life on scrollbar="yes".

I now realise what you mean by "bad" but correct. I don't think
it is bad at all but you cannot know how natural, it can look
with the sketchy page at the url. There it looks strange and
stands out. Make a real page, with background colours, allow
frame borders or not as suits the design and you will see that
"yes" is not at all so bad...

--
dorayme
Aug 11 '06 #10
In article <mw******************@newsb.telia.net>,
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <ja**************@telia.comwrote:
Hello dorayme,
I am under the impression that I know now who you are not...
Fine. Freedom is a good thing. You did not need to do all that
quoting to say this. Have a nice day.

--
dorayme
Aug 11 '06 #11

"dorayme" <do************@optusnet.com.auskrev i meddelandet
news:do**********************************@news-vip.optusnet.com.au...
In article <mw******************@newsb.telia.net>,
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <ja**************@telia.comwrote:
You did not need to do all that
quoting to say this.
You are right. I did not.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
*叫什么 ?
Aug 12 '06 #12
"Michael Weis" <nc*******@netcologne.dewrote in message
news:eb**********@newsreader2.netcologne.de...
Hello all,

as a non-professional in these things, I searched for this topic but found
no satisfying answer:

I have to create a site with 3 frames. (Please no diskussion about the
sense
of using frames...)
[SNIP]

We all know what a pain in the neck they are to work with so I won't jump on
yours. Suffice it to say that I'm not sure if an asprin will be any help!
However, just in case ur interested, I'm developing to similar compositional
requirements. The template is still incomplete, but take a look at
www.geoceanis.com for a possible alternative...

--
Timothy Casey GPEMC! >11950 is the nu****@fieldcraft.biz 2email
Terms & conditions apply. See www.fieldcraft.biz/GPEMC
Discover valid interoperable web menus, IE security, TSR Control,
& the most advanced speed reading application @ www.fieldcraft.biz
Aug 12 '06 #13
Hi Rich,

rwap wrote:
Well there is some good news in that IE v7 (beta 3), the "auto" value
only gives the vertical scroll bar as per Opera v9 and Firefox, so I
would stick with auto for the time being.
these are good news. For now I will use the "yes" value and change it
when the IE v7 age comes..... ( and it _will_ come, even is a lot of css
stuff is still unsupported in this version)

Thank you,

Michael
Aug 12 '06 #14
Hi Timothy,
>(Please no diskussion about the sense of using frames...)
We all know what a pain in the neck they are to work with so I won't
jump on yours.
Thank you :-) In this case I have no choice.
but take a look at www.geoceanis.com for a possible alternative...
Looks good, interesting ideas & styles.
For my own site ( http://www.weis-it.de ) I will use css styles
for static parts too. But as a non-professional (in web-authoring)
I have to learn much more about css-based layouts.

Thank you & nice weekend,

Michael
Aug 12 '06 #15

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

1 post views Thread by Pal Csepregi | last post: by
8 posts views Thread by Fabian | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by anna | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Marco Liedekerken | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Sakharam Phapale | last post: by
1 post views Thread by Solo | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.