469,641 Members | 1,283 Online
Bytes | Developer Community
New Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Post your question to a community of 469,641 developers. It's quick & easy.

Can you create your own CSS as background-text write to padding areas?

RC
I found background-color, background-image, but
I don't see background-text. I would like have some
text write to the padding areas like

th, td { margin: 0; border-width: 1; width: 40px; height: 20px;
padding-left: 30px; padding-top: 0; padding-right: 0; padding-bottom: 0;
background-text: 'Hello World'; background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: left center; background-attachment: scroll; }
I can do this with background-image: url(helloWorld.jpg);
But I want to write text "Hello World" in the left padding area.
Should W3 consortium create background-text for CSS?
May 31 '06 #1
8 1764
RC wrote:
I found background-color, background-image, but
I don't see background-text


What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text that
isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?

--
David Dorward <http://blog.dorward.me.uk/> <http://dorward.me.uk/>
Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
May 31 '06 #2
David Dorward wrote:
RC wrote:
I found background-color, background-image, but
I don't see background-text


What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text that
isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?


"For internal distribution only. For internal distribution only. For
internal distribution ..."
May 31 '06 #3
RC
David Dorward wrote:
RC wrote:
I found background-color, background-image, but
I don't see background-text


What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text that
isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?


Hahaha....!!!
check out this

a:link { color: red } /* unvisited links */
a:visited { color: blue } /* visited links */
a:hover { color: yellow } /* user hovers */
a:active { color: lime } /* active links */
a:focus { background-color: yellow }
a:focus:hover { background-color: #dadabe }

img { border-collapse: separate; border-width: 0; border-spacing: 0;
padding: 0; }

a.image { margin: 0; background-image: url(arrow_right.gif);
background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: right center; border:
0; padding-top:0; padding-bottom:0; padding-left: 0; padding-right: 15; }

<a class="image" ...>...</a>

This I can put a little image arrow_right.gif at right padding area for
<a> tag, then later I can use JavaScript change the
style.backgroundImage for arrow_down.gif.

This is can pull down menu application.

Now I have a different application, I want to write something in
table's <th> and/or <td> tags in the padding areas.
I want write text (HTML text is better), not the silly image(s).
May 31 '06 #4
RC wrote:
img { border-collapse: separate; border-width: 0; border-spacing: 0;
padding: 0; }


What effect do border-collapse and border-spacing have on an image?
May 31 '06 #5
To further the education of mankind, Harlan Messinger
<hm*******************@comcast.net> vouchsafed:
David Dorward wrote:
RC wrote:
I found background-color, background-image, but
I don't see background-text


What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text
that isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?


"For internal distribution only. For internal distribution only. For
internal distribution ..."


I'd say that's high-priority content, not background.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.
Jun 1 '06 #6
Neredbojias wrote:
To further the education of mankind, Harlan Messinger
<hm*******************@comcast.net> vouchsafed:
David Dorward wrote:
RC wrote:

I found background-color, background-image, but
I don't see background-text
What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text
that isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?

"For internal distribution only. For internal distribution only. For
internal distribution ..."


I'd say that's high-priority content, not background.


Yes and no. It's supposed to be repeated over the entirety of the
document. Would it make more sense to insert it within the content at
the end of every sentence?
Jun 1 '06 #7
Harlan Messinger wrote:
Neredbojias wrote:
To further the education of mankind, Harlan Messinger
<hm*******************@comcast.net> vouchsafed:
David Dorward wrote:

RC wrote:

> I found background-color, background-image, but
> I don't see background-text

What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text
that isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?

"For internal distribution only. For internal distribution only. For
internal distribution ..."

I'd say that's high-priority content, not background.


Yes and no. It's supposed to be repeated over the entirety of the
document. Would it make more sense to insert it within the content at
the end of every sentence?


If you want it repeated as the background of the entire document, why
not just put together an image with the words on it, and use that image
as the background?
Jun 1 '06 #8
To further the education of mankind, Harlan Messinger
<hm*******************@comcast.net> vouchsafed:
> I found background-color, background-image, but
> I don't see background-text
What text is a background? I can't think of any time I would use text
that isn't in content. Can you provide some examples?
"For internal distribution only. For internal distribution only. For
internal distribution ..."


I'd say that's high-priority content, not background.


Yes and no. It's supposed to be repeated over the entirety of the
document. Would it make more sense to insert it within the content at
the end of every sentence?


It would make more sense to insert it into the content logically.

IMO, a background can be covered and should not be used for important
information. I also believe user stylesheets can remove/replace css
backgrounds, with the obvious consequences. Browser resizing and monitors
having different resolutions may contribute to the problems as well.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity has its limits.
Jun 2 '06 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.

Similar topics

14 posts views Thread by Dafydd | last post: by
3 posts views Thread by ░╦┤ˇ╔Ż╚╦ | last post: by
4 posts views Thread by Wayne Wengert | last post: by
2 posts views Thread by VB Programmer | last post: by
1 post views Thread by James Radke | last post: by
reply views Thread by Markus Olderdissen | last post: by
reply views Thread by gheharukoh7 | last post: by
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.