By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,934 Members | 1,318 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,934 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

hover acting strange in MSIE

P: n/a


if you view this page in safari and firefox:

http://www.harshpatel.com/paul

and hover over the song titles, some info pops up on the right.
if you view it on any MSIE, nothing pops up.

this is killing me. can somebody help out?

Nov 9 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
17 Replies


P: n/a
Sorry, I'm on 10 mbit connection and still your pages loads veeeery
slow. So I don't have the patience to wait for them and see the
problem.

--
/Sun
-- *Joke of the day* ----------------------------------------
Tech Support: Your password is the small letter a as in apple,
a capital letter V as in Victor, the number 7.
Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?
ha********@gmail.com wrote:
if you view this page in safari and firefox:

http://www.harshpatel.com/paul

and hover over the song titles, some info pops up on the right.
if you view it on any MSIE, nothing pops up.

this is killing me. can somebody help out?


Nov 9 '05 #2

P: n/a
Once upon a time *h*******@gmail.com* wrote:
Sorry, I'm on 10 mbit connection and still your pages loads veeeery
slow. So I don't have the patience to wait for them and see the
problem.

--
/Sun
-- *Joke of the day* ----------------------------------------
Tech Support: Your password is the small letter a as in apple,
a capital letter V as in Victor, the number 7.
Customer: Is that 7 in capital letters?


Stealing my post and Tagline from a previous post, are you? :)
That's ok, you may use the tag lines in this post also, and read
what's in the links ;)

--
/Arne
Now killing all top posters and posters who don't quote
* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* From Google: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/
-------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 9 '05 #3

P: n/a
somebody please help me.

Nov 10 '05 #4

P: n/a
rf
ha********@gmail.com wrote:
if you view this page in safari and firefox:

http://www.harshpatel.com/paul

and hover over the song titles, some info pops up on the right.

if you view it on any MSIE, nothing pops up.


Validate your HTML then validate your CSS.

When I threw out some of your invalid/questionable CSS it worked fine.

--
Cheers
Richard.
Nov 10 '05 #5

P: n/a
ha********@gmail.com wrote:


if you view this page in safari and firefox:

http://www.harshpatel.com/paul

and hover over the song titles, some info pops up on the right.
if you view it on any MSIE, nothing pops up.

this is killing me. can somebody help out?

In a few places, your CSS states:

"border:1px style double;"

Is that what you want?
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)
.....

Yeah. Wait a minute. It's the guy from TV. My kid's
hero...Cruddy...Crummy...Krusty the Clown!

-- Homer Simpson
Krusty Gets Busted

Nov 10 '05 #6

P: n/a
thank you everybody for responding.

the validator seemed a bit messy, i have been handcoding for years. i
am moreso curious than anything what isn't working out for MSIE. i
might run validator later to clean up stuff, but im not looking to do
perfect html, i am just wondering what went wrong.

as for the border style thing, the double border only seems to show up
in firefox, not in safari.
strange. i did experiment with different attributes though. how would
you suggest i correct it?

but the big thing that i still need help figuring out is why the hover
info doesnt show up when the cursor is over the 5 song titles.

Nov 10 '05 #7

P: n/a
rf
ha********@gmail.com wrote:
thank you everybody for responding.

the validator seemed a bit messy, i have been handcoding for years. i
am moreso curious than anything what isn't working out for MSIE. i
might run validator later to clean up stuff, but im not looking to do
perfect html, i am just wondering what went wrong.
If you write invalid code then you are relying on the browsers error
correction to make what it thinks it can out of your page. Each browser has
a different view on what to do with errors.
but the big thing that i still need help figuring out is why the hover
info doesnt show up when the cursor is over the 5 song titles.


There are many sites out there that do exactly what you are trying to do
quite perfectly.

Oddly enough the CSS validator does not report any error that may be
causing your problem (amongst the many it *does* report).

As I said before I fiddled with a copy of your page, just out of curiosoty.
On correcting a couple of minor errors and removing some seemingly unneeded
and questionable CSS it suddenly started to work. I of course don't have
that code anymore nor can I spend the time to reproduce what I did before.
I suggest you rewrite your CSS from the ground up. There is obviously some
conflict in there with all those rules selecting almost the same thing.
It's to complex for what it does anyway.

--
Cheers
Richard.
Nov 10 '05 #8

P: n/a
I just ran it through an HTML validator and made a lot of corrections.
The CSS one says all is well, but obviously something is wrong.
I have never made a site that has excluded one browser, and I don't
want this to be my first, but MSIE is just plain disgusting and a
nightmare
for most designers looking to make a simple, functional site.

My coding is taken from tutorials I've found lying around
(idiotprogrammer.com).
I will now experiment with taking out some CSS.
Thanks Richard.

Nov 10 '05 #9

P: n/a
Ah. actually, looking at my CSS now, I am wonder what was extraneous.
everything seems essential. I am referring to my #links style. I am
really curious now as to what made it work for you on MSIE. I fiddled
around with toggling the position and display attributes, that did
nothing. The other stuff is for the type formatting, and that is
essential.

Nov 10 '05 #10

P: n/a
Once upon a time *h*********@gmail.com* wrote:
thank you everybody for responding.

the validator seemed a bit messy, i have been handcoding for years. i
am moreso curious than anything what isn't working out for MSIE. i
might run validator later to clean up stuff, but im not looking to do
perfect html, i am just wondering what went wrong.

as for the border style thing, the double border only seems to show up
in firefox, not in safari.
strange. i did experiment with different attributes though. how would
you suggest i correct it?

but the big thing that i still need help figuring out is why the hover
info doesnt show up when the cursor is over the 5 song titles.


* How to quote: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html#toc2
* How to post: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html
* From *Google*: http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

I and several others kill all top posters and posters who don't quote
what they are replying to.

--
/Arne
-- *Joke of the day* ----------------------------------------
Tech Support: What anti-virus program do you use?
Customer: Netscape.
Tech Support: That's not an anti-virus program.
Customer: Oh, sorry...Internet Explorer.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Nov 10 '05 #11

P: n/a
Arne, what's your deal? do you pride yourself on being the textbook
tech-support jerk? Take it easy. Your time isn't as valuable as you
are making it out to be. I wish the best to you and your Usenet
Protocol Posse, who I'm sure are a standup bunch of socially competent,
normal people. (Sarcasm).

There are polite ways of talking to people, I hope you find the dorky
usegroup topic that explores that.

Nov 10 '05 #12

P: n/a
Els
ha********@gmail.com wrote:
Arne, what's your deal? do you pride yourself on being the textbook
tech-support jerk? Take it easy. Your time isn't as valuable as you
are making it out to be. I wish the best to you and your Usenet
Protocol Posse, who I'm sure are a standup bunch of socially competent,
normal people. (Sarcasm).

There are polite ways of talking to people, I hope you find the dorky
usegroup topic that explores that.


It seems you are replying to Arne. He writes many posts. Which one are
you replying to?

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
Now playing: Spargo - Hip Hap Hop
Nov 10 '05 #13

P: n/a
Els wrote:
ha********@gmail.com wrote:
Arne, what's your deal?


It seems you are replying to Arne. He writes many posts. Which one are
you replying to?


Impossible to say, since harshpatel refuses to follow the posting
conventions of this group. Ah well, another one for the kill file!

--
Reply email address is a bottomless spam bucket.
Please reply to the group so everyone can share.
Nov 10 '05 #14

P: n/a
ha********@gmail.com wrote:

if you view this page in safari and firefox:
http://www.harshpatel.com/paul
and hover over the song titles, some info pops up on the right.
if you view it on any MSIE, nothing pops up.

IE has a hard time with :hover. In fact IE only recognizes it for the
<a> element. This is a case where you have exceeded the capabilities of IE.

--
jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
Nov 10 '05 #15

P: n/a
rf
Jim Moe wrote:
ha********@gmail.com wrote:

if you view this page in safari and firefox:
http://www.harshpatel.com/paul
and hover over the song titles, some info pops up on the right.
if you view it on any MSIE, nothing pops up.

IE has a hard time with :hover. In fact IE only recognizes it for the
<a> element. This is a case where you have exceeded the capabilities of IE.


True, but IE will also recognise a:hover span since the hover is still
actually being applied to the a element, or rather something inside the a
element.

The technique the OP is trying to use works quite well with IE on this
page:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

which is quite obviously the page where the OP borrowed the code from :-)

Something has happened during the borrowing, either positioning or CSS
selectors or both.

--
Cheers
Richard.
Nov 11 '05 #16

P: n/a
rf wrote:

The technique the OP is trying to use works quite well with IE on this
page: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

which is quite obviously the page where the OP borrowed the code from :-)

Something has happened during the borrowing, either positioning or CSS
selectors or both.

Yes. Since you pointed to an obviously working specimen, I experimented
further. The OP left out
#links a:hover { color: #000; background: #fff; }
Apparently this is required to have it work in IE.

--
jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
(Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
Nov 11 '05 #17

P: n/a
rf
Jim Moe wrote:
rf wrote:

The technique the OP is trying to use works quite well with IE on this
page: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/popups/demo.html

which is quite obviously the page where the OP borrowed the code from :-)

Something has happened during the borrowing, either positioning or CSS
selectors or both.

Yes. Since you pointed to an obviously working specimen, I experimented
further. The OP left out
#links a:hover { color: #000; background: #fff; }
Apparently this is required to have it work in IE.


Ah. I missed that when I was fiddling around the other day, not having
looked at the working specimen. I just randomly poked comments into the
OP's code and got it to work, probably by mistake more than anything.

Glad we cleared that up :-)

--
Cheers
Richard.
Nov 11 '05 #18

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.