By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
443,837 Members | 1,842 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 443,837 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Width of table in frame with scrollbar

P: n/a
I have a table in a frame with a scrollbar. I want the table to be
100% of the width of the frame excluding the width of the scrollbar.
Opera and Netscape leave space for the scrollbar, but IE6 does not
when in conforming mode (with a transitional DTD). Is there a way
(besides using browser-specific stylesheets) to get all three browsers
to leave room for the scrollbar?

The markup I have is at http://ataru.gomen.org/test.html. The first
frame uses a stylesheet, the second plain markup, the third plain
markup without a DTD, and the fourth uses Javascript. Netscape and
Opera render all four tables with room for the scrollbar, but IE6 only
leaves room for the scrollbar...

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Jul 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
8 Replies


P: n/a
Once upon a time *Christopher Benson-Manica* wrote:
I have a table in a frame with a scrollbar. I want the table to be
100% of the width of the frame excluding the width of the scrollbar.
Opera and Netscape leave space for the scrollbar, but IE6 does not
when in conforming mode (with a transitional DTD). Is there a way
(besides using browser-specific stylesheets) to get all three browsers
to leave room for the scrollbar?

The markup I have is at http://ataru.gomen.org/test.html. The first
frame uses a stylesheet, the second plain markup, the third plain
markup without a DTD, and the fourth uses Javascript. Netscape and
Opera render all four tables with room for the scrollbar, but IE6 only
leaves room for the scrollbar...


Drop the line with the link to w3c from the DTD
("http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-html40/loose.dtd") and the horizontal scroll
will disapear. For some reason IE don't like the default DTD for pages
within a frameset :-)

--
/Arne
http://w1.978.telia.com/~u97802964/

The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything and the
young know everything. (Oscar Wilde)
Jul 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
I have a table in a frame
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
I want the table to be 100% of the width of the frame excluding the
width of the scrollbar.


http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmat...lexdesign.html
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

--
Brian (remove "invalid" to email me)
Jul 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
Brian <us*****@julietremblay.com.invalid> spoke thus:
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
I didn't make the design decision to use frames, and I can't change
it.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts


The actual application of the table is, in fact, for tabular data, so
my original question stands.

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Jul 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
Arne <us**@domain.invalid> spoke thus:
Drop the line with the link to w3c from the DTD
("http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-html40/loose.dtd") and the horizontal scroll
will disapear. For some reason IE don't like the default DTD for pages
within a frameset :-)


I curse thee Bill Gates! Is there some other workaround that lets the
page continue to be accepted by the W3C validator?

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Jul 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
I didn't make the design decision to use frames, and I can't change
it.
That's too bad.
The actual application of the table is, in fact, for tabular data


Url?

--
Brian (remove "invalid" to email me)
Jul 23 '05 #6

P: n/a
Brian <us*****@julietremblay.com.invalid> spoke thus:
That's too bad.
There are a lot of regrettable things about our page design. I may be
able to use a scrollable <div> on my current project, but past
projects are more or less set in stone.
Url?


It's internal, unfortunately, which is why I had to whip up the
mock-up markup I linked to.

--
Christopher Benson-Manica | I *should* know what I'm talking about - if I
ataru(at)cyberspace.org | don't, I need to know. Flames welcome.
Jul 23 '05 #7

P: n/a
Once upon a time *Christopher Benson-Manica* wrote:
Arne <us**@domain.invalid> spoke thus:
Drop the line with the link to w3c from the DTD
("http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-html40/loose.dtd") and the horizontal scroll
will disapear. For some reason IE don't like the default DTD for pages
within a frameset :-)


I curse thee Bill Gates! Is there some other workaround that lets the
page continue to be accepted by the W3C validator?


The validator will accept the DTD even without the link. Just drop the
link part and leave the rest in top of the file, as
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

--
/Arne
Jul 23 '05 #8

P: n/a
Arne wrote:
The validator will accept the DTD even without the link. Just drop the
link part and leave the rest in top of the file, as
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">


Sounds vaguely familiar...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/...standards.html
about two thirds of the way down, under the "make that page behave",
subsequently linking to http://www.dwfaq.com/IE6/

Related?

--
Michael
m r o z a t u k g a t e w a y d o t n e t
Jul 23 '05 #9

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.