By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
446,182 Members | 1,138 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 446,182 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

How Do I prevent a:hover from affecting <a name=...>

P: n/a
I know I could do it by restricting hover to a class of links
(a:hover.actuallyalink) but is there a way that doesn't require me to
change every link in every existing html document?
Jul 23 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html Ben Sharvy said:
[ How Do I prevent a:hover from affecting <a name=...>]
I know I could do it by restricting hover to a class of links
(a:hover.actuallyalink) but is there a way that doesn't require me to
change every link in every existing html document?


a:link:hover
--
the facts and opinions expressed by brucies
l i t t l e v o i c e s
are not necessarily the same as those held by brucie.
Jul 23 '05 #2

P: n/a
Ben Sharvy wrote:
How Do I prevent a:hover from affecting <a name=...>
I know I could do it by restricting hover to a class of
links (a:hover.actuallyalink) but is there a way that a.blah:hover, in fact
doesn't require me to change every link in every existing
html document?

override the css properties only for your <a id="foo> like this:
a#foo:hover { settings you have for unhovered links }
AFAIK only works for id=foo, not name=foo, though.
Jul 23 '05 #3

P: n/a
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 07:13:38 +1000, brucie <sh**@usenetshit.info> wrote:
In comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html Ben Sharvy said:
[ How Do I prevent a:hover from affecting <a name=...>]
I know I could do it by restricting hover to a class of links
(a:hover.actuallyalink) but is there a way that doesn't require me to
change every link in every existing html document?


a:link:hover


Or:

a[href]:hover

Both selectors run foul of MSIE's lack of support for these construct.
Maybe it is best to just avoid using <a name=...>, and stick to using ID
attributes on other elements. You can't use those IDs for in-page links in
Netscape 4, all other browsers in current use support it.

--
Rijk van Geijtenbeek

The Web is a procrastination apparatus:
It can absorb as much time as is required to ensure that you
won't get any real work done. - J.Nielsen
Jul 23 '05 #4

P: n/a
DU
Ben Sharvy wrote:
I know I could do it by restricting hover to a class of links
(a:hover.actuallyalink) but is there a way that doesn't require me to
change every link in every existing html document?

a:not([name]):hover { ...your declarations ...} /* CSS3 selector */

will only work in Mozilla 1.6 and higher.

DU
--
The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
Mozilla 1.7.5 :)
Jul 23 '05 #5

P: n/a
Els
DU wrote:
Ben Sharvy wrote:
I know I could do it by restricting hover to a class of
links (a:hover.actuallyalink) but is there a way that
doesn't require me to change every link in every existing
html document?


a:not([name]):hover { ...your declarations ...} /* CSS3
selector */

will only work in Mozilla 1.6 and higher.


I wonder if the OP has been waiting for that answer for the past
four months... ;-)

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/
Sonhos vem. Sonhos vo. O resto imperfeito.
- Renato Russo -
Jul 23 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.