By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
426,165 Members | 1,916 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 426,165 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

Is this a bug in firefox or do i have something wrong

P: n/a
I have the following web page setup:
http://angels.uberderf.com/glossary.html
I have a 2 column table layout which is a glossary of terms and their
meanings.

When you view this page in firefox the first row displays with a lot of
space below the two cells. The rest of the table looks as it was
intended to look. This same page viewed in Mozilla looks correct or how
it was intended to look. Even IE displays the page as intended.

My question is, is this a flaw with firefox or do i have something
wrong in the CSS.

Here is the CSS that I am using.
http://angels.uberderf.com/bt2_main.css

Since I'm new at this I may have introduced something into this that I
am unaware of. I started with a template from the Open Source Web
Design site. The table layout is based on this article:
css.nu/article/table-in-css.html. All of the examples on this page
appear to display correctly in firefox. It would seem that the problem
is with something I have done, but I'm unable to locate it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve Register

Jul 21 '05 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
5 Replies


P: n/a
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, uberderf wrote:
I have the following web page setup:
http://angels.uberderf.com/glossary.html
I have a 2 column table layout which is a glossary of terms and their
meanings.
Yours is actually 3 col. I would use definition list, it is meaned for
this kind of data. (using table is not bad option either though)

You should learn some basics of HTML.
When you view this page in firefox the first row displays with a lot of
space below the two cells.


You have clear somewhere, and you are using float for layout. Use
absolute position instead for columns, or rethink your center column so
that you don't need clear there.

Ironically, you have this on your page:
This web site is best viewed with a CSS2 compliant
browser such as Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 7. MSIE 5 and 6
do not support CSS2 and do not show the page as it was designed

Consider:
- no browser is CSS2 compliant, and never will. Opera is closest
- your site works better in IE
- you put this information on most prominent place of your site...

--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.
Jul 21 '05 #2

P: n/a

Lauri Raittila wrote:
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, uberderf wrote:
I have the following web page setup:
http://angels.uberderf.com/glossary.html
I have a 2 column table layout which is a glossary of terms and their meanings.
Yours is actually 3 col. I would use definition list, it is meaned

for this kind of data. (using table is not bad option either though)

You should learn some basics of HTML.
ok, maybe I should make my self a little more clear then. I have this
2 column table like layout that is place in the middle column of a 3
column page layout.
When you view this page in firefox the first row displays with a lot of space below the two cells.
You have clear somewhere, and you are using float for layout. Use
absolute position instead for columns, or rethink your center column

so that you don't need clear there.

Ironically, you have this on your page:
This web site is best viewed with a CSS2 compliant
browser such as Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 7. MSIE 5 and 6
do not support CSS2 and do not show the page as it was designed

Consider:
- no browser is CSS2 compliant, and never will. Opera is closest
- your site works better in IE
- you put this information on most prominent place of your site...
Thank you, I will change it to say Modern Browswer mainly because IE
does not support fixed images in anything but the background and when
you view the page in IE the effect is not the same as with FireFox,
Mozilla, Or Opera. By the way Opera seems to have the same glitch as
FireFox when displaying the first row of the table, which is set in the
middle column of the three column layout. --
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.


Jul 21 '05 #3

P: n/a
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, uberderf wrote:
By the way Opera seems to have the same glitch as
FireFox when displaying the first row of the table, which is set in the
middle column of the three column layout.


You missed the part of my reply that said what was problem, and how to
fix it, I rephrase:

You have clear property somewhere while you are using float for layout.
Use absolute position instead for columns, or rethink your center column
so that you don't need clear property there.

Use
* {clear:none !important}
And you shold see the problem.

--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.
Jul 21 '05 #4

P: n/a

Lauri Raittila wrote:
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, uberderf wrote:
By the way Opera seems to have the same glitch as
FireFox when displaying the first row of the table, which is set in the middle column of the three column layout.
You missed the part of my reply that said what was problem, and how

to fix it, I rephrase:

You have clear property somewhere while you are using float for layout. Use absolute position instead for columns, or rethink your center column so that you don't need clear property there.

Use
* {clear:none !important}
And you shold see the problem. If I take out the Clears then everything breaks out of there
containers.

I just did a redesign using straight tables and got it to look similar
to what I wanted. Maybe once I learn more about CSS I will attempt to
use straight CSS with no tables.
--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.


Jul 21 '05 #5

P: n/a
in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets, uberderf wrote:

Lauri Raittila wrote:
This is the solution I gave, which you never commented:
Use absolute position instead for columns, or rethink your center
column so that you don't need clear property there. Use
* {clear:none !important}
And you shold see the problem.

If I take out the Clears then everything breaks out of there
containers.


Yes, but the problem you were having disappears. So you need to rethink
your design. I already told you what to do. Actually, using table for
that middle column would be better than div soup you use now.

--
Lauri Raittila <http://www.iki.fi/lr> <http://www.iki.fi/zwak/fonts>
Utrecht, NL.
Jul 21 '05 #6

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.