473,573 Members | 3,231 Online
Bytes | Software Development & Data Engineering Community
+ Post

Home Posts Topics Members FAQ

Simple Question (2 column layout)

I essentially have the standard two column layout, but I'm running
into a quirk I'm hoping someone can help with. I have one column
which is the main content (75%) of the screen and the remaining 25% is
reserved for "side" content.

The problem with my CSS is that if the main content's height is less
than the side content's height, the side content will wrap underneath
the main content instead of staying within the 25% bounds.

-me

------ code
#main
{
float: left;
width: 75%;
}

#side
{
}

and then the following HTML code
<html>

<div id="main">
let's say the text in this section takes up three lines on the screen.
</div>

<div id="side">
let's say this section has ten lines of text, the first three lines
will be just fine in this div, the other seven lines will wrap and
begin where text in the #main div would start. (instead of wrapping
to the start of the #side div)
</div>

</html>
------ end code
Jul 20 '05 #1
0 1781

This thread has been closed and replies have been disabled. Please start a new discussion.

Similar topics

3
5461
by: Doug McCrae | last post by:
http://www.btinternet.com/~doug.mccrae/go4learning/index.html As it says in the subject, a two column layout (plus header and footer boxes). I feel the left column really needs to be fixed width (151px) as it contains an image, while everything else is fluid. However this only works in IE 6.0. In Netscape and Opera I found that the auto...
10
2077
by: Alfred | last post by:
I essentially have the standard two column layout, but I'm running into a quirk I'm hoping someone can help with. I have one column which is the main content (75%) of the screen and the remaining 25% is reserved for "side" content. The problem with my CSS is that if the main content's height is less than the side content's height, the side...
3
4336
by: Paul Burke | last post by:
Hi all I am hoping someone can help with a 2 column layout. It works ok in IE, but the second column (right) appears below the first column when viewed in FF or NS. Here is the url http://tinyurl.com/58ewa The html and css pass validation, but fail to see the problem. I am sure it is something probably really simple. But it beats me to
16
6157
by: Dan V. | last post by:
How do you do a css 2 column layout with header and footer, with the 2nd column auto-stretching so entire page looks good for 800 x 600 resolution as min. and 1024 x 768 resolution as a max? Ideally the layout would be centered so it scales better visually. This would be great for me. Thanks,
15
2311
by: Tamblyne | last post by:
This problem has got to have a simple solution and I can't be the first person who has ever handled it. Perhaps Google is no help because I'm not using the right terms? (I did find one post on-point, but no one responded to it.) I have a two column layout with a header and a footer. If the "content" is longer than the "navigation", there...
10
1719
by: Philipp E. Imhof | last post by:
Hi! I am experiencing a problem with a two-column layout -- apparently I am not the first person, but the solutions I found in GG did not give me what I was looking for. The page should be as follows: ................................ .. +----------+-------+ .
3
3201
by: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ney_Andr=E9_de_Mello_Zunino?= | last post by:
Hello. I seek confirmation for the reasons behind a margin-related behavior I have observed. I have set up a simple test page to illustrate the issue. The page shows a very simple 2-column layout, where columns are contained in /div/ elements. The first column is floated left and the second one is offset by a left margin. You should be...
3
788
by: Mark | last post by:
Hi all I would like to create a simple two column layout - navigation on the left and content on the right. I would like the columns to have a fluid width so they can grow and shrink according to the size of the text and the browser window. However, I do not want the content column to span the entire available width of the page (minus the...
1
8888
Death Slaught
by: Death Slaught | last post by:
I will be showing you how to make a very simple but effective three column layout. First we will begin with the HTML, or structure, of our three column layout. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xhtml1-20020801/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"...
0
7693
by: Hystou | last post by:
Most computers default to English, but sometimes we require a different language, especially when relocating. Forgot to request a specific language before your computer shipped? No problem! You can effortlessly switch the default language on Windows 10 without reinstalling. I'll walk you through it. First, let's disable language...
0
8021
Oralloy
by: Oralloy | last post by:
Hello folks, I am unable to find appropriate documentation on the type promotion of bit-fields when using the generalised comparison operator "<=>". The problem is that using the GNU compilers, it seems that the internal comparison operator "<=>" tries to promote arguments from unsigned to signed. This is as boiled down as I can make it. ...
0
8202
jinu1996
by: jinu1996 | last post by:
In today's digital age, having a compelling online presence is paramount for businesses aiming to thrive in a competitive landscape. At the heart of this digital strategy lies an intricately woven tapestry of website design and digital marketing. It's not merely about having a website; it's about crafting an immersive digital experience that...
1
7781
by: Hystou | last post by:
Overview: Windows 11 and 10 have less user interface control over operating system update behaviour than previous versions of Windows. In Windows 11 and 10, there is no way to turn off the Windows Update option using the Control Panel or Settings app; it automatically checks for updates and installs any it finds, whether you like it or not. For...
0
8064
tracyyun
by: tracyyun | last post by:
Dear forum friends, With the development of smart home technology, a variety of wireless communication protocols have appeared on the market, such as Zigbee, Z-Wave, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc. Each protocol has its own unique characteristics and advantages, but as a user who is planning to build a smart home system, I am a bit confused by the...
0
6418
agi2029
by: agi2029 | last post by:
Let's talk about the concept of autonomous AI software engineers and no-code agents. These AIs are designed to manage the entire lifecycle of a software development project—planning, coding, testing, and deployment—without human intervention. Imagine an AI that can take a project description, break it down, write the code, debug it, and then...
1
5590
isladogs
by: isladogs | last post by:
The next Access Europe User Group meeting will be on Wednesday 1 May 2024 starting at 18:00 UK time (6PM UTC+1) and finishing by 19:30 (7.30PM). In this session, we are pleased to welcome a new presenter, Adolph Dupré who will be discussing some powerful techniques for using class modules. He will explain when you may want to use classes...
1
2208
by: 6302768590 | last post by:
Hai team i want code for transfer the data from one system to another through IP address by using C# our system has to for every 5mins then we have to update the data what the data is updated we have to send another system
0
1040
bsmnconsultancy
by: bsmnconsultancy | last post by:
In today's digital era, a well-designed website is crucial for businesses looking to succeed. Whether you're a small business owner or a large corporation in Toronto, having a strong online presence can significantly impact your brand's success. BSMN Consultancy, a leader in Website Development in Toronto offers valuable insights into creating...

By using Bytes.com and it's services, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

To disable or enable advertisements and analytics tracking please visit the manage ads & tracking page.