By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Manage your Cookies Settings.
438,226 Members | 1,032 Online
Bytes IT Community
+ Ask a Question
Need help? Post your question and get tips & solutions from a community of 438,226 IT Pros & Developers. It's quick & easy.

add storage

P: n/a
Hello,

I am beginner with db2 ( DB2 v9.1.0.1 running on RHEL 4); this is my
first post.

I have this error " SQL0968C The file system is full. SQLSTATE=57011""
in my instance configured with AUTO STORAGE ON & AUTORESIZE (indeed,
the file system was almost full)

I tried to add new storage using "alter database XX add storage
on" ; command runs successfully but the new space is not use by db2
and I still get error.

What can I do ?

Nov 27 '07 #1
Share this Question
Share on Google+
6 Replies


P: n/a
On Nov 27, 11:21 am, cristizaharioiu <cristizahari...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hello,

I am beginner with db2 ( DB2 v9.1.0.1 running on RHEL 4); this is my
first post.

I have this error " SQL0968C The file system is full. SQLSTATE=57011""
in my instance configured with AUTO STORAGE ON & AUTORESIZE (indeed,
the file system was almost full)

I tried to add new storage using "alter database XX add storage
on" ; command runs successfully but the new space is not use by db2
and I still get error.

What can I do ?
Maybe your filesystem where your containers live is full. Check to see
if it is:
$df -m
Nov 27 '07 #2

P: n/a
On Nov 27, 6:24 pm, Otto Carl Marte <Otto.Ma...@gmail.comwrote:
On Nov 27, 11:21 am, cristizaharioiu <cristizahari...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hello,
I am beginner with db2 ( DB2 v9.1.0.1 running on RHEL 4); this is my
first post.
I have this error " SQL0968C The file system is full. SQLSTATE=57011""
in my instance configured with AUTO STORAGE ON & AUTORESIZE (indeed,
the file system was almost full)
I tried to add new storage using "alter database XX add storage
on" ; command runs successfully but the new space is not use by db2
and I still get error.
What can I do ?

Maybe your filesystem where your containers live is full. Check to see
if it is:
$df -m


Indeed, the filesystem is full, but i added a new filesystem and db2
don't use it to add more conteiners.
Nov 27 '07 #3

P: n/a
Ian
cristizaharioiu wrote:
On Nov 27, 6:24 pm, Otto Carl Marte <Otto.Ma...@gmail.comwrote:
>On Nov 27, 11:21 am, cristizaharioiu <cristizahari...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>Hello,
I am beginner with db2 ( DB2 v9.1.0.1 running on RHEL 4); this is my
first post.
I have this error " SQL0968C The file system is full. SQLSTATE=57011""
in my instance configured with AUTO STORAGE ON & AUTORESIZE (indeed,
the file system was almost full)
I tried to add new storage using "alter database XX add storage
on" ; command runs successfully but the new space is not use by db2
and I still get error.
What can I do ?
Maybe your filesystem where your containers live is full. Check to see
if it is:
$df -m

Indeed, the filesystem is full, but i added a new filesystem and db2
don't use it to add more conteiners.
You may need to deactivate / activate the database for this to occur.
The doc is not very clear on when the storage is available (it says,
"Existing regular and large table spaces using automatic storage will
not initially use these new paths. The database manager might choose to
create new table space containers on these paths only if an out-of-space
condition occurs.")

I recall reading that DB2 evaluates the storage paths upon database
activation.

Nov 27 '07 #4

P: n/a
On Nov 27, 5:35 pm, Ian <ianb...@mobileaudio.comwrote:
>
Indeed, the filesystem is full, but i added a new filesystem and db2
don't use it to add more conteiners.

You may need to deactivate / activate the database for this to occur.
The doc is not very clear on when the storage is available (it says,
"Existing regular and large table spaces using automatic storage will
not initially use these new paths. The database manager might choose to
create new table space containers on these paths only if an out-of-space
condition occurs.")

I recall reading that DB2 evaluates the storage paths upon database
activation.
Hi,

It's actually just temporary tablespaces that evaluate the storage
paths upon database activation. As pointed out above, for regular/
large tablespaces, the paths won't be considered unless an "out of
space" condition occurs on one of the existing storage paths. That
said, it sounds like this is the situation and DB2 should be creating
a new stripe set (which should include the newly added path).

Just to be clear, is the tablespace in question actually an automatic
storage tablespace? Can you do a "get snapshot for tablespaces on
<databaseName>" and look for the following lines (for the tablespace
in question)?

Using automatic storage = Yes
Auto-resize enabled = Yes

Also, can you show the storage path information from a database
snapshot? This will tell us for sure how much space DB2 is seeing on
the paths.

db2 update monitor switches using bufferpool on (this collects
extra information)
db2 get snapshot for database on <databaseName>

For example:

Number of automatic storage paths = 2
Automatic storage path = C:\SP1
File system ID = 2691985332
Storage path free space (bytes) = 13048266752
File system used space (bytes) = 39183147008
File system total space (bytes) = 52432740352
Automatic storage path = D:\SP2
File system ID = 1552810699
Storage path free space (bytes) = 17006305280
File system used space (bytes) = 30588035072
File system total space (bytes) = 47594340352

Regards,
Kelly
Nov 28 '07 #5

P: n/a
Sorry for this late response.

The problem was resolved.
We had data tablespaces, temporary tablespaces and logfile directory
in the same filesystem. Probably , the first one which reached out of
space was either temp tablespace or logfile not data tablespace; in
this case data tablespace cannot be extended because the error
appeared before tablespace tried to extend, when db2 tried to write
logfile for example.
So, we moved temp tablespaces and logfile direrctory to another
filesystem and ,when data tablespaces reached out of space , it was
able to create a new container in space added with alter database
command.

I am not sure that it is the real explanation but after we moved temp
tablespaces and logfile all works fine.

Thank you for your help.
Dec 12 '07 #6

P: n/a
cristizaharioiu wrote:
Sorry for this late response.

The problem was resolved.
We had data tablespaces, temporary tablespaces and logfile directory
in the same filesystem. Probably , the first one which reached out of
space was either temp tablespace or logfile not data tablespace; in
this case data tablespace cannot be extended because the error
appeared before tablespace tried to extend, when db2 tried to write
logfile for example.
So, we moved temp tablespaces and logfile direrctory to another
filesystem and ,when data tablespaces reached out of space , it was
able to create a new container in space added with alter database
command.
You may also want to consider moving logs and temps to different file
systems/separate disks. Since both will usually heavily be used,
read/write activities on both influence each other and drag down
performance.

--
Knut Stolze
DB2 z/OS Utilities Development
IBM Germany
Dec 14 '07 #7

This discussion thread is closed

Replies have been disabled for this discussion.